Holliday signs w/ Fins | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Holliday signs w/ Fins

new bob said:
wtf??? holliday and carter?? and restructuring of both bowens??? does his mean the 3-4 starts now? especially with anthony simmons and matt stewart coming to visit....

DT - t. bowens/chester
DE - carter
DE - holliday/d.bowens
OLB-taylor
ILB - thomas
ILB- seau
OLB-simmons or stewart?/bowens

that looks pretty damn good to me....(not much room for david bowens as a starter however.....

stil not sure why we signed holliday unless it was for this reason.....

Yes guys ....indeed the 3/4 starts right now ....I can´t wait to see JT free all over the field

ckparrothead said:
Yeah I was just going to say that the fact that Holliday signed a 2 yr deal to me means he has not been promised any starting jobs.

I'm starting to be on board with Dupree on Anthony Simmons, no doubt he's an impact player when healthy...I just hope he can some day stay healthy.

Just imagine man, we've got Holliday, probably (IMO) still going after Carter who is more likely to sign with the phins than not likely, if we pull in Anthony Simmons and maybe a safety, gosh I think we'll be wondering "Surtain who?" when our defense lines up in those 4-3/3-4 alignments.

Should have known better. Saban's going to stockpile talent and figure out their roles later, just like he did with the coaching staff. Now he's going to do it with the roster.
I hope your right.
My guess is Saban whats to at least have the option to go to a 3-4 at times. I expect we do sign Carter aswell and at that point the writing pretty much on the wall {3-4 def next year}. I also hope we find another candidate for saftey.

I think these additions will prove to be very good because it gives us flexibility in the dline. I dont think we are going to be a permanent 3-4 OR 4-3 team next year.

I would LOVE us to be able to show many different looks and players like Holliday and Carter give us that flexibilty on the Dline. With Carter, you get a DE and DT who can play a 3-4 DE and can play DT in a 4-3. We still have TimBo and Chester who can play DT's in a 4-3 and one can play DT in a 3-4. JT is your 4-3 DE and Im still REALLY skeptical about him at OLB.

The only thing I dont like is JT at OLB. He has the physical size and speed to fit the mold, but we have no reason to think he would be successful at that position. I just dont feel comfortable with putting a top 3 pass rushing DE at OLB.

Right now, we need to draft LB's.

Dline wise we are lookin at a 3-4 of Carter-TimBo/Chester-Holliday
and a 4-3 of Taylor-Timbo/Chester/Carter-Carter/Bowens/Holliday

We have good depth at the DL, but I would still like to add a young player. We only signed Holliday to a 2 year deal, meaning if we draft a young hybrid type DE, Holliday might be a rent-a-player for this year only.

Holliday was a good signing, but I feel it might just be a 1-year rental player to play situational 3-4 DE and give us depth at the Dline this year.

Mitchy71 said:
*sigh*
I never said he couldn't I said he won't.
Maybe the odd scheme, but mainly he will be on the line. Its a waste of his talent.

I am sure Surtain would make a hell of a FS. Yet he is more valuable as a Corner.
I happen to agree with you. Right now we have more of a makeshift 3-4.

Your surtain analogy is a good one. Taylor COULD play OLB, but you dont take a top 3 DE in the NFL and put him there on a normal basis. He is more valuable in a 4-3 as a pass rushing DE. I think we will be 60/40 next year running 60% 4-3 and 40% 3-4 if not much less. If we sign Carter, he gives us that transition player that we desperately need. He can play DE/DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 which is the key player we are lacking right now.

IMO the player who is holding us back from making a complete 3-4 switch is JT. Unless he proves he can be a stud OLB, I wouldnt be suprised to hear trade talks maybe next year for him if Saban wants a 3-4 base defense. He has such high value as a DE, it would be silly to waste that away as an OLB.

....However this year we might have to try him out as OLB in a few 3-4 formations.

Philter25 said:
I think these additions will prove to be very good because it gives us flexibility in the dline. I dont think we are going to be a permanent 3-4 OR 4-3 team next year.

I would LOVE us to be able to show many different looks and players like Holliday and Carter give us that flexibilty on the Dline. With Carter, you get a DE and DT who can play a 3-4 DE and can play DT in a 4-3. We still have TimBo and Chester who can play DT's in a 4-3 and one can play DT in a 3-4. JT is your 4-3 DE and Im still REALLY skeptical about him at OLB.

The only thing I dont like is JT at OLB. He has the physical size and speed to fit the mold, but we have no reason to think he would be successful at that position. I just dont feel comfortable with putting a top 3 pass rushing DE at OLB.

Right now, we need to draft LB's.

Dline wise we are lookin at a 3-4 of Carter-TimBo/Chester-Holliday
and a 4-3 of Taylor-Timbo/Chester/Carter-Carter/Bowens/Holliday

We have good depth at the DL, but I would still like to add a young player. We only signed Holliday to a 2 year deal, meaning if we draft a young hybrid type DE, Holliday might be a rent-a-player for this year only.

Holliday was a good signing, but I feel it might just be a 1-year rental player to play situational 3-4 DE and give us depth at the Dline this year.

You're right. Even NE doesn't consistently play the 3-4. I've seen them play the 4-3 as a change-up and that time against the Fins where they put no DT against us. We should be a 4-3 base with a 3-4 as a change-up. We have hybrids in JT, Holliday, Bowens, maybe Carter.

We need to decide Zach Thomas' future. The guy could possibly bomb as an ILB unless he gets a little stronger before next year.

Jaj said:
We need to decide Zach Thomas' future. The guy could possibly bomb as an ILB unless he gets a little stronger before next year.

If Saban tells him what to do to be a 3-4 ILB, Zach'll do it

He's just small naturally. He could definitely have trouble with the switch. Best thing to do would be to still play a 4-3 set defense at times this year, and when we switch to a 3-4 play Seau and Adam Seward(4th rounder) from UNLV in the center.

Philter25 said:
I happen to agree with you. Right now we have more of a makeshift 3-4.

Your surtain analogy is a good one. Taylor COULD play OLB, but you dont take a top 3 DE in the NFL and put him there on a normal basis. He is more valuable in a 4-3 as a pass rushing DE. I think we will be 60/40 next year running 60% 4-3 and 40% 3-4 if not much less. If we sign Carter, he gives us that transition player that we desperately need. He can play DE/DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 which is the key player we are lacking right now.

IMO the player who is holding us back from making a complete 3-4 switch is JT. Unless he proves he can be a stud OLB, I wouldnt be suprised to hear trade talks maybe next year for him if Saban wants a 3-4 base defense. He has such high value as a DE, it would be silly to waste that away as an OLB.

....However this year we might have to try him out as OLB in a few 3-4 formations.

And if Saban drafts Merriman....then you have Merriman, Taylor, Seau and Zack...as the starting linebackers....and both Taylor and Merriman can rush and cover.

Back
Top Bottom