Honest thoughts about starting Rosen | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Honest thoughts about starting Rosen

It’s clear we are tanking for Tua. Maybe not the coaches and players, but obviously the owner and front office are with the personnel moves they have made.

I’m down with that, it is what it is,it’s the best chance to get a franchise qb that we’ve had since we passed on drafting Rodgers and signing Brees who btw we also could have drafted, but I digress.

I think Rosen has some talent and I would like to see him compete with the QB we draft next year. However, we don’t have two starting NFL caliber tackles and our guard positions are also going to be manned either by rookies or by marginal talents that will need to learn this offense from scratch.

Even max protecting with a full back and tight ends, we are going to struggle with protections for awhile, and I for one don’t want to ruin Rosen ala David Carr. I firmly support the plan to sit Rosen until our line gels and can at least prevent him from getting killed if that’s possible. If that’s not possible, then I am also cool sitting him till next year or very late in the year. He deserves a fair valuation and a fair shot and I think a lively QB competition will only raise everyone’s level of play next year. Just my two cents...

I hate when fans say this. I find it not true and complete BS. David Carr just wasn't that good. He played on several other teams and still sucked. Same for the other failed QBs, they were just draft busts who didn't pan out and that happens sometimes. Obviously you want to build a good team around a QB but sometimes you can tell if a QB has what it takes and when he doesn't. Curtis Painter was awful the year Peyton Manning was out and the team was awful, then Andrew Luck comes in his rookie year and leads them to the playoffs.

Jimmy Clausen was awful in Carolina his rookie year and so was that Panthers team then cam Newton comes in and breaks rookie records.

I can't think of one QB who was terrible his first few years in the league and then goes to another team and dominates for multiple years. There have been some one year wonders like Case Keenum, nick foles and a handful of others but I'm talking about plays at a high level for multiple seasons when they were awful to begin with. Either a QB has what takes to handle the pressure and succeed in the NFL or they don't. David Carr was in the latter part, just a draft bust like his buddy Joey Harrington.

If a franchise drafts a QB usually it's because they are a bad team. I have a hard time believing that Rodgers and Mahomes wouldnt be successful today if they got thrown in as rookies. Either they have the goods and it shows or they don't. A good QB doesn't get "shell shocked" And if that happens to Rosen then so be it means he doesn't have what it takes. we will draft a QB anyways.

To say we have zero information isn’t fair or accurate. In fact, we have a ton of information. If you would prefer, you could change it to “It’s obvious we are tanking this season and will draft the highest rated QB next year” then that’s fine too. If you don’t think we are tanking this season than you are delusional in the face of overwhelming evidence that clearly points to that path.

If you think Josh Rosen will somehow demonstrate he is our franchise QB behind this offensive line, then you are also delusional.

If you think Fitzpatrick will have success this year, again, see above.

Otherwise, what do you predict is going to happen this year and the 2020 draft?

We have gotten rid of players that either are on the decline point of their career, or on a contract to rich for this team to pay...Other then Tunsil, who Miami said very clearly would not trade him, until The Texans offered Miami a package that included two #1 picks, and a 2nd.

This is not to say there is not a slight chance the Organization is trying to tank, but there nothing obvious about it.

As for Rosen, he does still have room to grow, but he looked good in preseason, and I believe will get his chance to prove himself, and grow after the 3rd game.

The people saying Tua isn't worth a top pick have absolutely no idea what they're looking at.

The best qb in college football by a decent margin is worth multiple 1st round picks.

If by some miracle we have the chance to take Tua next year, we are taking him. Period. I don't care how much pocket presence Rosen shows in a preseason game or that one throw he made to Williams. We are taking Tua if we have the opportunity. You can take that to the bank.

I understand the first 4 games are brutal, but at some point we really need to see what he's all about.

I am on board for tanking this season but not for Tua. I don't like the history of Alabama QB's in the NFL and don't see how he would be the savior of the franchise, even with the draft capital and salary cap to build a roster around him over the next couple of off seasons. Look at the last 10 years of QB's at Alabama when they were competing for and winning national championships and how many of them have had any success in the NFL.
Greg McElroy? Never made it off the practice squad for the Bengals after getting cut by the Jets.
John Parker Wilson? Again, never made it off the practice squads of Atlanta, Jacksonville or Pittsburgh.
AJ McCarron? If he sticks around will probably be a career backup.
Blake Sims? Played in Canada and spent a limited amount of time on the Buccaneers and last played in the AAF.
Jake Coker? Never made it through the Cardinals training camp.

Until I see Rosen play some meaningful football for the team, I will reserve judgement about whether he is the future of this team. I have no idea what is going on in the locker room or the coaches offices so I will not pretend to know more than what I have seen with my own eyes.
Is this really your rating system for a QBs success or are you just joking around?

What conclusions have you come to based on the front offices recent actions and this team’s depth chart for this year? I’m curious, if you want to poo poo this, what facts or observations do u have to share with me based on what u have seen this off season that warrant your opinion or dissmisal of my opinion or observations so easily.

What is your opinion big guy? And what data do you have to back that opinion up?

Are you challenging me to a dual sir?

Beyond that. I don't do nonsense.

:guard:

It’s clear we are tanking for Tua. Maybe not the coaches and players,
I think this was your opening sentence... If we are "Tanking" then maybe the coaches need to be in on it... Cant have a F.O. and owner tanking and have coaches and players screwing that up by, of all things, winning a game or five...

FWIW I personally hate the word tanking - it implies losing on purpose and is everything that a sports team is against. We are in a Rebuild but you cant rebuild without the Demo part. Only thing that should be "obvious" is that the Dolphins are going to have a tough season. I think we will win 5 games. Bills, Jets Bengals and Giants are my locks and one from somewhere else.

As for Tua: i think we really need to get through the majority of the College season before we decide who is worthy. Just don't know how things will turn out yet so picking someone now is not the smartest move but then I'm just a fan... What do I know...

I can understand Flores wanting to wait to start Rosen. The line needs time to settle, he needs to become more familiar with the playbook...

Josh Rosen still has room to grow.

The 22-year-old, who is in his first year with the Dolphins, lost out in the team's quarterback competition and will open the season behind veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick on the depth chart. Miami offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea was asked about Rosen's progress when he met with reporters earlier this week.

“Josh is — as we’ve talked about — he’s still learning the offense,” O’Shea said Tuesday, via the Palm Beach Post. “He’s doing a good job on all of the things that aren’t the physical part of the game he’s improving on, whether it be his awareness on the field, his overall familiarity with the offense, his fundamentals that he needs to work on, just like all the other players need to work on. He’s in the same position a lot of other players are. There are just a few fundamentals we’re really concentrating on with him.”

I guess Barry Jackson thinks Grier should just man up and stop being so soft, and over rule the decision by these coaches..

TBH I wasnt a fan of him coming out of college, and didnt see much positive at Arizona. However his O line and coaching was worse than what Miami had at the time, so I guess thats something.

However, in pre season, I saw that he does have a decent arm and decent pocket awareness. I expect that he will be starting after week 5, because I dont think Fitz will stay healthy. And will be a turnover machine.

Now when he starts, I dont think he will be that bad. We wont have a winning record, but I also dont think we will be in the first 4 picks in next years draft. I think the the FO will look long and hard and see that he deserves at least a full season and a bit under centre to be evaluated properly.

As much as I love watching Tua play, I would expect that Cinci will do everything they can too trade up and get him. I would prefer that Miami concentrate on the O Line and DE in next years draft and FA, let Rosen play and see what unfolds in the 2021 draft.

Back
Top Bottom