'Honey Badger' would be interesting choice for Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Honey Badger' would be interesting choice for Dolphins

You gamble on football talent. I rather gamble on a solid football player in the third or fourth round than a physically gifted guy with no feel for the game. I'd take him with our second third rounder and get some playmaking ability back there. I could careless about his bench.

The worst thing to happen to Mathieu is when was mythologized nationally as the "Honey Badger." It seems like he began to believe the hype and live like a rock star, without finishing strong in his career.

One thing that impressed me was the humility with which he handled the fall from grace. Seems like a real core in there, in his inner person -- someone that can be challenged and show redemption.

As far as drafting him goes, he is the ultimate "value pick" this year. Any team that gets him is getting far more upside than the draft position reveals. He will be EXCELLENT DB depth on a good team. Not to mention the fact that he will be a coach's dream in matchup possibility... for instance, playing NE, man up Mathieu on Welker. He's built to play such quick WRs and he has a nose for the ball. He's a football player and a playmaker.

If he's there in the late 3rd or 4th you have to take him. Maybe even in the 3rd, straight up. He's the opposite of Egnew: A 3rd round pick that will make plays his first year and all his career, imo.

LD
p.s. I still can't believe Ireland completely WASTED a pick on Egghead... he might as well have given away Marshall.

i love him he wasnt rated as one of the best db's in the country for no reason. look and janoris and vontaze burflict. Honey badger is the same type of player. i would gamble a third on him

Everyone that dislikes us going for honey badger will panic if the Pats pick him.
guaranteed

His bench is a red flag directly related to his work ethic. If they draft him, I would hope they hold out until the 4th. But, I have a feeling the Lions will take him earlier. They have shown that they will take chances and are in desperate need of a secondary help.

I was gonna go crazy if he could only do 4 reps.

The guy would be a pretty good slot corner in my eyes. He's pretty fast (ran a 4.43 today in his first time) and is a ball hawk. Most slot WR's aren't big. Sure he got abused in that title game but who doesn't get abused by Julio Jones?

Except for the fact that he got abused by Kevin Norwood,(a average wide out)in the title game...Julio was playing for the Falcons by then.

The fact that he only did 4 reps makes it even more impressive how he is laying the wood on some of these plays. He is definitely a good football player but he might possibly have a bad work ethic. All that being said there is no better motivator than money. I would definitely draft this guy as high as the 4th.

+1

People tend to think the Bench press is the end all be all for your test of strength. Anybody who has hit the weight room regularly or the football feild knows this isn't true. Tackling comes from lower body strength/explosion. Force fumlbes are about putting your hat on the ball when you tackle or trying to puch it out, it's more technique then it ever will be strenth on the a bench press.

once again, 4 reps on a bench is extremly weak, but means a lot less to his position/skill set then it would a guy in the trenches.

If he really has matured, I would love this as a third round pick

Omen,

The 4 reps talk is more representative of his character.

Sure the dude could be naturally weak which would be "ok" depending on what you value. But to show up to the combine and only push 4 reps when you had a full year to hit the weight room?

That shows lack of character and lack of commitment to your craft. Just because he was a ball hawk in college will not transfer to the NFL. Honey Badger also benefited from being on one of the top teams in the country. In the NFL, everyone is fast, everyone is strong, etc.

This kid is either really weak, or really lazy.

Bingo!! I'm almost 45 years old and weigh 180lbs, I just started working out last month for the first time in years and I can already push more than that. The fact the this guy can only do 4 reps screams that he is either A) hilariously weak or B) simply not committed.

If playing at the next level was really that important to him he would have been in the gym getting ready for he combine but it appears he was doing anything but.

However, with that said, I would still be happy if we drafted him in the middle rounds. Dude IS a baller and strength can be obtained but self-discipline and commitment are another story.

late 2nd early 3rd rounder...serious ball skills and playmaking...something this secondary lacks

late 2nd early 3rd rounder...serious ball skills and playmaking...something this secondary lacks

Im with you hoops.

Repping 225 only 4 times does not prevent him from making open field tackles, picking off QBs, forcing fumbles, or sacking QBs.

The combine is so overrated in a lot of areas. 40 times for most players are either completely irrelevant or overrated. Bench press reps are overrated for DBs. If he were a lineman, I would definately be concerned over his 4 reps.

This guy has football instincts through the roof. His height is only a concern if I wanted to match him up vs. the big tall power WRs one on one. I wouldnt do that. This guy is a great nickel player at the worst. He also brings PR skills to the table. All he does is make big impact plays. I want him in a phins uni. His game is pure. He has a nose for the ball.

Its funny. Manti Teo's game tape and speed sticks out like a sore thumb. Yet, he is said to be a leader and have great football instincts so people are still talking like he is a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick. IMHO Teo blows and will be lucky to have a career as a backup in the NFL. He is slow and not very powerful. This isnt great for a LB. If he goes to a team with a great interior DL he could be decent in the right scheme, but even then I dont think he makes it. At ND he had that beast of a kid dominating up front allowing him to rake up tackles against weak college teams. We saw what happened against the Tide.

Now take Honey Badger who is said to have great football instincts and was a leading heisman candidate before the season started and before he was thrown off the team. Somehow he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick because of 4 reps and some issues with weed? GET REAL!!!! This guy is a playmaker. I would argue that Teo's fake GF issue is as alarming of an off the field issue as a 20 year old kid smoking weed everyday. In fact, I think its more of a red flag. A lot of kids smoke weed everyday. Not all of them get dragged through the mud over it. Not many kids have fake girlfriends and lie about it even after they figure it out.

Id take Honey Badger in the 2nd round if I had to. If I sensed another team would take him before my 3rd round pick there is no doubt Id take him in round 2. I wouldnt draft Teo in round 7.

Back
Top Bottom