Hoops scoops...the importance of tempo | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoops scoops...the importance of tempo

How does a team that isn't efficient or good at executing big plays wind up being in the top third of the NFL in big plays, despite being in the bottom fifth of the NFL in total plays?

Your line of reasoning is farcical.

I said we weren't good at executing big plays.

I DIDN'T say we don't make any big plays. I said were not good at it.

Good execution = efficiency.

Efficiency shouldn't be a hard concept for you guys. This isn't complicated at all.
Well maybe its more complicated than you think... Because you're not making any sense using the concept...

How does a team that isn't efficient or good at executing big plays wind up being in the top third of the NFL in big plays, despite being in the bottom fifth of the NFL in total plays?

Your line of reasoning is farcical.

How does a team end up in the top 3rd of big plays and yet ranked one of the worst offenses in the NFL?

Bad efficiency and playng from behind.

Seriously, are you guys honestly trying to argue that we are some great big play offensive team? Just stop, admit your wrong.

Take your L and move on. This has got beyond pathetic.

How does a team end up in the top 3rd of big plays and yet ranked one of the worst offenses in the NFL?

Bad efficiency and playng from behind.

Seriously, are you guys honestly trying to argue that we are some great big play offensive team? Just stop, admit your wrong.

Take your L and move on. This has got beyond pathetic.
Because we are not good in the red zone, because we are not good on 3rd down, because alot of ****... 99 problems but big plays aint one...lol!

Because we are not good in the red zone, because we are not good on 3rd down, because alot of ****... 99 problems but big plays aint one...lol!

We don't need 3rd downs or red zone efficiency.

Were an amazing big play offense, you didn't look at the stats?

We don't need 3rd downs or red zone efficiency.

Were an amazing big play offense, you didn't look at the stats?
Whats amazing is how far you are willing to go to avoid admitting your simple petty statement was wrong... I think we all agree our offense sucked... That is not the point... You made a statement, it was wrong, move on...

Whats amazing is how far you are willing to go to avoid admitting your simple petty statement was wrong... I think we all agree our offense sucked... That is not the point... You made a statement, it was wrong, move on...

he's from new York what do you expect :lol:

Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

he's from new York what do you expect :lol:

Maybe related to someone with the same tendencies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prove it.

First off, under Lazor the only time we ran anything similar to tempo and/or HUNH was in the last 2 minutes before the half and our offense was often successful.

Second, after we purged ourselves of the incompetent staff, we ran an up tempo offense against the Patriots and well, those results speak for themselves.

*Wanny's got it covered.

We've ran uptempo outside of the 2 minute drill under Lazor. If you want proof go look at the game log of the 2014 Ravens game. I mean, am I the only one actually watching games or doesn't have selective long term memory on here?

Whoops, that Denver/New England game was in Denver not Foxboro, so FAR does not apply to Denver this week. I didn't realize my error until the next day. That game must have been a few days after Thanksgiving, when I was visiting relatives in Orlando and didn't see many games, including the need to tape Dolphins/Jets for later viewing.

FAR (Fury of Anti-Revenge) provides the greatest rocking chair games I've ever experienced as a sports bettor. I really wouldn't assign any strategic importance to anything that happens in those games, whether it's first half during FAR onslaught or second half when the FAR team is worn out and the visitor makes a late futile rally, like a cheap horse making up meaningless lengths down the stretch while the frontrunners are staggering. It's unbelievable how often the games unfold exactly that way. I've mentioned it here and elsewhere many times.

For anyone who speculates I would take note of FAR. You might be able to study it and improve on the application. It will continue to work as long as games are played. Rocking chair wins are fun. It's immensely satisfying to anticipate the home energy barrage and know what is going on, while seemingly everyone else is baffled. The world is flooded with people who fixate on revenge and have no clue that often it works in reverse, in favor of the team that won the previous outing(s). I've noted that FAR works best in college early in the season, since the road win was obviously a year earlier. Once it reaches deeper in the season too many variables have shown up and the home team may not care about thumping that team again.

In the pros it generally needs to be a high profile or very unusual game to receive full blast FAR. I've mentioned that I backfitted after discovering this angle in the late '80s, and suddenly other results made perfect sense. The '73 Dolphins, for example, didn't always have as much energy as the '72 team. More methodical. But during the home Monday Night game against Pittsburgh there was an intensity level to open the game that was unmatched all season. We were loving it in the stands. Not until almost 15 years later did I realize what was going on: The Steeler players had whined quite a bit after the famous '72 home playoff loss to the Dolphins, saying they beat themselves with turnovers and mistakes, but that overall they were the superior team. Miami obviously fumed about those remarks for 9 or 10 months. When finally allowed a return matchup, and this time at home, it was FAR at its best. Dick Anderson in particular was all over the field. I think it was 30-3 at halftime. Then the Dolphins barely retained any energy after halftime. It was very similar to Carolina/Seattle last week. It was the famous ending with Shula figuring out to concede a safety while leading 30-24 deep in our own territory. Cosell, Gifford and Meredith were stumped. Seiple unleashed a terrific boot on the subsequent free kick and the defense revitalized to stuff Pittsburgh quickly to seal the game.

Normally I bet the NFL playoffs using YPPA Differential. Not this year, not when I saw the early numbers and was not happy with how everything had unfolded, with the 2015 stats so opposed to lifetime numbers and situational trends. Aaron Rodgers is historically a YPA champ. This year he plummeted, to the point I was supposed to back Kirk Cousins at pick-em against Aaron Rodgers. No thank you. The way it worked out, I would have lost twice betting against Green Bay. Also, Seattle surged late in the season to finish with a very good YPPA Differential. But that's the sucker team, the trend I've emphasized so often, that the most recently dethroned team typically delivers less than expected. Barry Switzer somehow won a Super Bowl in that historically terrible scenario yet the Bar Stool geniuses don't give him any credit. So hilariously typical.

There was no way I'm betting on Seattle twice. Again, I would have lost both times. I detailed as early as the prediction thread of last year's NFC Championship game against Green Bay that Seattle would be in a downer funk in 2015 if they failed to repeat as champions.

Instead of picking and choosing which games to bet and which to ignore sometimes I throw out the entire slate if there are major conflicts. I remember it with the YPPA Differential once or twice previously. I only wish I had been as sharp with the stock market recently. I lost considerably more there than I saved by avoiding the NFL playoff system. I bet on the biotech bottom a couple of times at bargain prices, only to have others decide it wasn't the bottom after all. Frustrating. I don't know what to call those goofs. They are adjusting my portfolio to levels I didn't think I'd see again. Everything had been going so nicely...:lol:

Fahey is doing his season observations on QB's. Here are some notes on Tannehill.

Cian Fahey ‏@Cianaf Jan 25
The Dolphins drifted through the first six or seven weeks of the season with some drop issues then kicked into hyperdrive.

I wrote about it for FBGs during the year last season, but Devante Parker has A LOT of work to do to be ready for next season.

Routes are an issue but he also has to know how to approach situations at the catch point better. When to leave feet/work back to ball etc

That's not to say he can't do it, but I wouldn't have high expectations for him in year two.

Kenny Stills was probably the most frustrating part of the Dolphins O though. He's so talented and just didn't play to expectations.

I thought Stills' ball skills would be ideal for Tannehill, they were, but he just couldn't consistently hold onto the ball.

Cian Fahey Retweeted ✭ miazgawd ✭
He was dropping accurate passes. Cian Fahey added,
✭ miazgawd ✭ @1neatobendito
@Cianaf he was talented with Drew Bree's throwing him the ball. Tannehill is a different story.

During first four weeks, under Lazor and Philbin, Tannehill's decision-making was awful. Huge improvement after coach change.

During first four weeks, under Lazor and Philbin, Tannehill's decision-making was awful. Huge improvement after coach change.

[TWEET]691724701547237376[/TWEET]

I don't think it's a coincidence that Tannehill's best stretch of the year came when they went away from the LOS/Behind LOS throws.

[TWEET]691728163345448960[/TWEET]

[TWEET]691729711265755137[/TWEET]

Landry is the inverse Jamaal Charles. Charles used to make "fewer" defenders miss because he outran angles in space. He didn't need to make

Cian Fahey Retweeted Philip Randazzo
Because he goes out of his way to find players to make miss, creating fewer yards than he would by going downfield. Cian Fahey added,
Philip Randazzo @Phillycheese10
@Cianaf you've tweeted out two plays like this but fail to mention the ones he's made people miss SMH

them miss because he knew when to attack space. Landry's instinct is to move laterally so he is in position to make more defenders miss.

[TWEET]691733145629151232[/TWEET]
[TWEET]691737687619997696[/TWEET]
[TWEET]691766396666155012[/TWEET]

Finished up Tannehill. I'm at the point now where it's clear it was worth tracking these numbers.

There are dramatic gaps between those with the best and those with the worst failed receptions/Simple YAC numbers,

God, Kaepernick is a mess. He throws the ball like someone who is playing football for the first time in his life.

Cian Fahey ‏@Cianaf Jan 26
I wonder who is going to talk themselves into Mike Wallace this year.

Cian Fahey ‏@Cianaf Jan 26
Bridgewater's mechanics as a rookie were consistent and clean. Even when he had time and space in 2015 they were a mess. Needs work.

Back
Top Bottom