Hoops scoops...the importance of tempo | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoops scoops...the importance of tempo

Tempo works best in concert with a scheme that has multiple formations using the same personnel. If you change personnel, by rule, the officials have to also allow the defense to make substitutions before setting the ball. The Patriots are very good at this. I've seen them run a trips set with 2 receivers and a back, and then without substituting, run the same set with 2 TEs and a receiver. If an offense can keep the same defensive personnel on the field, mismatches can be continually exploited.

There is no other potential offset for personnel deficiencies when it comes to the oline other than outright personnel changes more valuable than tempo

some examples...today seattle is dead in the water on o vs that carolina d til they go to the no huddle fast tempo on offense...its 31 to 0 they lost their left tackle the oline is getting wrecked bevell goes to the tempo offense and the game flips pretty much...carolina after playing with tempo in the first half no doubt in an effort to limit seattles defense which is as legit as they come plays with tempo and gets up big...2nd half mike shula huddles up entire rest of game is trying to milk the clock and playing not to lose and they almost ended up losing because of it...bevell on the other hand down big plays to win...one played to win the others nuts shriveled up

Your second paragraph completely ignores situational factors. I've seen this countless times previously among tape guys. They never have any idea that not all games and scenarios are created equal.

Seattle was a sucker team in this year's playoffs. They could have started out the game in up tempo and it wouldn't have mattered at all. I've pointed out numerous times that the recently dethroned champion is a fraud, much more often than not. The team in that situation has a dreadful history, including only three regained titles. They try to summon the same energy but it simply isn't there. The team is in a funk, still stunned and deflated from failing to repeat. Pretend mode. They may look the same but the confidence and intensity level is only a shred of its former self, especially in comparison to truly hungry teams. I've known about this for 40 years but it never makes the mainstream media. Bar Stoolers in particular are often drawn to that team. They don't want to pick the defending champion so they get cute and retreat one year further and isolate the prior champion, even though that's one of the worst moves they can make. I wasn't surprised at some of the posters here who backed Seattle's chances recently.

In this game Seattle was in even worse shape than normal because they were running smack into FAR, or Fury of Anti Revenge. Again, I've mentioned this many times. The home team has a surreal energy and motivation advantage to open the game if they defeated the same team on the road, particularly if that game was a rare circumstance, like a massive blowout or a late rally in which the original home team thinks it should have won. That describes the earlier Seattle/Carolina meeting. The Seahawks led by double digits with only a few minutes remaining before Newton stunned them with two late touchdown drives. That placed Carolina in FAR mode, determined to smack Seattle in the mouth again to verify the pecking order from the prior game.

I've mentioned many times that some friends of mine play the FAR games both ways, taking the home team in the first half and then coming back with the road team in the second half once the intensity level of the home team naturally wears off. I'm mostly a first half bettor so I had Seattle in the first half and then sat there like a dunce while my friends in Las Vegas collected so easily after halftime.

Your tempo stuff was mostly a technicality. But I'm sure it looked swell as a rationalization. I give credit to ckparrothead, a tape guy who knew nothing about situational variables when I joined this site a decade ago and sometimes scoffed at my mentions of them in regard to personnel performance from week to week, but eventually learned to recognize the impact, probably not coincidentally once he started to speculate.

I should point out that Denver is in FAR mode next week hosting New England, after rallying in the fourth quarter regular season game and winning in overtime.

Denver will be very energized to open the game. But I don't like that one nearly as much for two reasons: 1) New England as defending champion is still in uptick mode and incredibly confident. They won't care about the prior loss. 2) New England, as always, is like a unique category, all by itself. I hate to assign typical vulnerability to that team. Some of my favorite FAR first half wagers in the NFL have been on New England, like that week two Monday game against San Diego in 2007 after Tomlinson whined about the conduct of Patriot players after the bitter Charger playoff loss to end the prior season. New England was guaranteed to be in a frenzy after stewing over Tomlinson's remarks for 8 months. It was a first half destruction. When I've tried to bet against New England using FAR a couple of times, it didn't work.

Your second paragraph completely ignores situational factors. I've seen this countless times previously among tape guys. They never have any idea that not all games and scenarios are created equal.

Seattle was a sucker team in this year's playoffs. They could have started out the game in up tempo and it wouldn't have mattered at all. I've pointed out numerous times that the recently dethroned champion is a fraud, much more often than not. The team in that situation has a dreadful history, including only three regained titles. They try to summon the same energy but it simply isn't there. The team is in a funk, still stunned and deflated from failing to repeat. Pretend mode. They may look the same but the confidence and intensity level is only a shred of its former self, especially in comparison to truly hungry teams. I've known about this for 40 years but it never makes the mainstream media. Bar Stoolers in particular are often drawn to that team. They don't want to pick the defending champion so they get cute and retreat one year further and isolate the prior champion, even though that's one of the worst moves they can make. I wasn't surprised at some of the posters here who backed Seattle's chances recently.

In this game Seattle was in even worse shape than normal because they were running smack into FAR, or Fury of Anti Revenge. Again, I've mentioned this many times. The home team has a surreal energy and motivation advantage to open the game if they defeated the same team on the road, particularly if that game was a rare circumstance, like a massive blowout or a late rally in which the original home team thinks it should have won. That describes the earlier Seattle/Carolina meeting. The Seahawks led by double digits with only a few minutes remaining before Newton stunned them with two late touchdown drives. That placed Carolina in FAR mode, determined to smack Seattle in the mouth again to verify the pecking order from the prior game.

I've mentioned many times that some friends of mine play the FAR games both ways, taking the home team in the first half and then coming back with the road team in the second half once the intensity level of the home team naturally wears off. I'm mostly a first half bettor so I had Seattle in the first half and then sat there like a dunce while my friends in Las Vegas collected so easily after halftime.

Your tempo stuff was mostly a technicality. But I'm sure it looked swell as a rationalization. I give credit to ckparrothead, a tape guy who knew nothing about situational variables when I joined this site a decade ago and sometimes scoffed at my mentions of them in regard to personnel performance from week to week, but eventually learned to recognize the impact, probably not coincidentally once he started to speculate.

:bobdole:

I have watched how tempo has killed FSU that past two seasons...both Oregon and Houston went tempo and negated Florida State superior talent laden defense. One of the most frustrating things to watch and you see a team wear them out and prevent them from getting a proper set.

I don't know if it stands the test of time but Faulk had an interesting theory before the game, he said it didn't matter that the Vikings missed the field goal, the Seahawks had already felt the dagger of defeat and that feeling is what would carry forward to Carolina.

Miami is the perfect place to run a full scale Chip Kelly style uptempo. But you have to fully commit, get players that have the stamina to stay on the field for prolonged drives, and just do it. Don't worry if things aren't going perfectly in practice. Also, practice in the elements.

I don't know if it stands the test of time but Faulk had an interesting theory before the game, he said it didn't matter that the Vikings missed the field goal, the Seahawks had already felt the dagger of defeat and that feeling is what would carry forward to Carolina.

It starts to take a toll on you as a defense knowing that if you allow more than 20 points Russell Wilson most likely will be losing that game

It starts to take a toll on you as a defense knowing that if you allow more than 20 points Russell Wilson most likely will be losing that game

Except Seattle was 4th in points per game and Miami was 27th...

Tempo works best in concert with a scheme that has multiple formations using the same personnel. If you change personnel, by rule, the officials have to also allow the defense to make substitutions before setting the ball. The Patriots are very good at this. I've seen them run a trips set with 2 receivers and a back, and then without substituting, run the same set with 2 TEs and a receiver. If an offense can keep the same defensive personnel on the field, mismatches can be continually exploited.

miamis bread and butter as long as we have Jarvis landry is 11 personnel...we could easily run it out of that
yesterday when seattle went to it marshawn lynch grabbed some bench...he still got bit run after depending on down and distance and huddle or no huddle but going to a tempo game was the only chance they had...if they let Carolina match personnel and dial up blitz packages they were cooked...

something Miami allowed the opposition to do all year even while playing the entire season behind the sticks and scoreboard

To me, this was the #1 disappointment of Bill Lazor's time in Miami. He was supposed to bring a "Chip Kelly" style tempo offense to Miami, but it just turned into slow dink and dunk, with a quick abandonment of the running game and zone read.

Bet on Carolina for the same reason. Seattle was damn lucky to get out of Minnesota with a win. Figured their luck would run out this week. Also was aware of AWSI's angle.

The uptempo we used in the last game against NE seemed to pick up the offense quite a bit. The keys is converting those third downs so you can keep the tempo going and eventually get points. If you don't convert enough the uptempo can backfire and get the coach fired. (see Philly)

Bet on Carolina for the same reason. Seattle was damn lucky to get out of Minnesota with a win. Figured their luck would run out this week. Also was aware of AWSI's angle.

The uptempo we used in the last game against NE seemed to pick up the offense quite a bit. The keys is converting those third downs so you can keep the tempo going and eventually get points. If you don't convert enough the uptempo can backfire and get the coach fired. (see Philly)

Think about that NE game for a minute, we still seemed to be in alot of 3 and long if I recall but we converted more. Was it because of the tempo?

I also think Ryan moved alot also despite the fact we were led to believe he was coached to stay in the pocket. Maybe the coaches didnt mandate any of that in the NE game.

the tempo of phillys play had absolutely nothing to do with chip Kelly getting fired...if anything it helped prop up his concepts

Back
Top Bottom