hooshoops prospect takes... | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

hey thirteen give me your list of prospects you would target if you were miami off your to date study and where you place their value???

O-Line
I think we'll draft a guard and a tackle. I'm hoping we sign Levitre in FA (and switch Incog to right for next season) but we still need another guard.

Jonathan Cooper would be a tremendous fit for us, but I think #12 is a bit early and there's a lot of opportunity in the 2nd at other positions.

Brian Schwenke of Cal blew me away in the Senior Bowl practise and the game itself. I went to have a look at his Cal stuff and I love this guy. Currently center in a ZBS, he's played both guard positions, he played guard in Mobile and looked born for it. Great use of hands - violent at times and well able to keep d-lineman off his body. Gets forward momentum quickly and creates holes with relative ease. He disengages very quickly and either freelances around the line or - more frequently - gets downfield in a hurry for second-level blocks and beyond. I've seen several plays where, having helped open the original hole, he is flattening some poor DB 20 yards downfield to open a lane for the ball carrier. Guy is surprisingly quick for his size.

Can't find any record of any injuries and played every game as far as I can tell.

He's a big guy girth-wise (yet not that heavy), he very occasionally overreaches and falls forward. He can occasionally go freelancing after the initial block and leave his gap assignment open. But in general his footwork is excellent and you could not say he was unathletic, despite first appearances. I love his familiarity with the ZBS, his mobility but most of all his hunger to keep playing to the whistle. Team-mates will love this guy.

I'd rate him in the 3rd round, but I've no idea what he's projected at.

At tackle, the guy I'm plugging is Reid Fragel of Ohio St. With the Bowl ban, the Ohio St. guys are a little under the radar and this kid is another level under that again. He only switched from TE to the O-line last offseason, but you wouldn't know it to watch him. Great technique and mobility - nothing flashy but consistent and tenacious. Probably better pass pro than run block from what I've seen, but both are good. Needs more time at the position, but he could be a quality starter in a season's time with 20lbs and more muscle on his frame. He's clearly smart and a hard worker. Philbin would love this guy.

I'd take him in the late 4th early 5th.

Schwenke was fantastic in the practices...a lot more shaky during the game itself especially as he had to block Kawann Short a fair amount.

Xavier Nixon is a guy that is very, very underrated. He won in the Senior Bowl practices. He won against Damontre Moore. He won against Sam Montgomery. He won against Cornellius Carridine. He won against Jarvis Jones.

Don't know what else he has to prove. Maybe he lost big time to Jadaveon Clowney. That's the one I haven't seen yet.

i already said trufant may be the 3rd corner off the board...as for fish there was no top 10 pick in mobile last year he's not a lock to be one this year either once the underclassmen are evaluated...

trufant also needs to run well at the combine and pro day...but i expect that will happen...mid to late 4.4's

fish is gonna get some competition from joeckel who has better feet and is a little bit more athletic and a great zbs fit and that lane johnson kid who moves like a te but at 300 plus lbs...lane johnson is an impressive athlete

Fisher will go in the top ten.

Fisher will go in the top ten.

maybe...scheme could play into who goes first of the tackles...joeckel and lane johnson more zbs fits...fisher strikes me as more a power player...not quite as athletic...feet for a left tackle could be better...i know one thing he better not let guys get up and under his pads and let them make first contact or he's gonna struggle against guys with a high end get off ability to gain the corner and bull rush...like a cam wake for instance...

as for schwenke i like him as a zbs center...pretty good move athlete anchors better than expected...i got no problem with a 3rd round pick there to a team that needs a zone center...but he's not the move athlete mike pouncey is...no one is at the position...i think he's got some versatility to man left guard and move pretty well but i would draft him as a center prospect...maybe give you some swing interior lineman stuff in a pinch

Hoops who is on your short list at 12? Personally I think its pretty hard to gauge until we see how FA shakes out..but just wondering. Im starting to think Banks is going to be a very real possibility if we let Smith walk (Milliner if he's there but Im guessing he is gone). He gets beat a bit too much for me...but his length, physical tools, and ball skills are all well above average in my opinion.

barkevious mingo
luke joeckel
lane johnson
dee milliner (yeah i added him...tapes too good to ignore...but i have some reservations)
jonathon banks
kenny vaccaro (only safety i would even consider)
keenan allen
jonathon cooper
cordarelle patterson (love the rac he provides...wonder though if he's a consistent win in his routes wr and a red zone win option)
chance warmack

as you can see i'm not in love with any pass rusher with that high pick but mingo...and if he got to me he would not pass...and if i can't have jake matthews who i think is the top tackle but not in the class i think i would pounce on lane johnson and his upside as the tackle i would prefer over anyone else for us...if i was gonna go tackle

i also really like eifert a lot but not at #12...unless he runs a 4.5

as for schwenke i like him as a zbs center...pretty good move athlete anchors better than expected...i got no problem with a 3rd round pick there to a team that needs a zone center...but he's not the move athlete mike pouncey is...no one is at the position...i think he's got some versatility to man left guard and move pretty well but i would draft him as a center prospect...maybe give you some swing interior lineman stuff in a pinch

Fair enough, but Pouncey went at #15. We're talking 3rd round here and I think he's a good value pick there. I think he can be a pretty solid left guard.

barkevious mingo
luke joeckel
lane johnson
dee milliner (yeah i added him...tapes too good to ignore...but i have some reservations)
jonathon banks
keenan allen
jonathon cooper
cordarelle patterson (love the rac he provides...wonder though if he's a consistent win in his routes wr and a red zone win option)
chance warmack

as you can see i'm not in love with any pass rusher with that high pick but mingo...and if he got to me he would not pass...and if i can't have jake matthews who i think is the top tackle but not in the class i think i would pounce on lane johnson and his upside as the tackle i would prefer over anyone else for us...if i was gonna go tackle

Too high for Vaccaro for me. Wish he would have gone to the senior bowl so I could have gotten a better look.

Patterson I'm still iffy on. Physically he's top 15 all day but still don't know about him mentally. He was a non-qualifier out of high school went the JUCO route and then only one season at Tennessee...not like Tennessee is known for it's high academic standards, lol. (sorry all you Vols fans)

Banks is another I'm iffy on. Again Physical tools are outstanding but he has 3 or 4 really bad games out there on tape. He may be just as inconsistent as Sean Smith but with better physical tools and can actually close on the ball. I think I'd rather take someone who's shown more consistency at #12. Trufant has been more consistent than Banks IMO.

As much as I'd hate to draft another O-lineman when we need TD makers or guys that cause turnovers it would be hard to pass up the guys you have listed...would still tick me off.

Too high for Vaccaro for me. Wish he would have gone to the senior bowl so I could have gotten a better look.

Patterson I'm still iffy on. Physically he's top 15 all day but still don't know about him mentally. He was a non-qualifier out of high school went the JUCO route and then only one season at Tennessee...not like Tennessee is known for it's high academic standards, lol. (sorry all you Vols fans)

Banks is another I'm iffy on. Again Physical tools are outstanding but he has 3 or 4 really bad games out there on tape. He may be just as inconsistent as Sean Smith but with better physical tools and can actually close on the ball. I think I'd rather take someone who's shown more consistency at #12. Trufant has been more consistent than Banks IMO.

As much as I'd hate to draft another O-lineman when we need TD makers or guys that cause turnovers it would be hard to pass up the guys you have listed...would still tick me off.

you wouldn't get much of an argument from me on any of that...banks is more about his upside his ball skills his length his tools than his tape...some of the tape is a head scratcher...he's got better tools and ball skills than sean smith...

vaccaro is probably more in the 20 range...good looking cover safety though...

patterson could blow up in your face...and i mean KABOOM

i don't like the thought of an ot either but that johnson kid may well be the most talented kid on the board then...he moves like he's 250 and man what an athlete...makes it look pretty effortless...

and i really don't like the thought of a left guard that high but warmack and coop would look really good in aqua and orange...

Lane Johnson is going to blow the combine out of the water. If he runs as fast as he said he does, which is 4.71-4.73, he'll be faster than a lot of the TEs at the combine.

Lane Johnson is going to blow the combine out of the water. If he runs as fast as he said he does, which is 4.71-4.73, he'll be faster than a lot of the TEs at the combine.

What he runs won't be unprecedented...Joe Staley had ridiculous Combine numbers and still went #28 overall. I'm most interested though in what he looked like on tape at Oklahoma which drew me to him, and especially what he showed at the Senior Bowl. Those guys didn't even come close to beating him. Ever. Not even close. It was like he was toying with them.

lane johnson looked rediculously good...his feet were so good i think he could have put his hands behind his back and just mirrored guys with his legs and kept them at bay...like ck said it was like he way toying with anyone he matched up against...look at some of those stone cold lock down blocks he had in the game the other day...i mean he had guys locked up...only caution i have is i don't really think he faced anyone all that great on the edge in that game...but what he did go against in practice and the game he owned...that kid carries 15 lbs easy on that body...

and i could watch that begin in the middle of the field sprint to the sideline and take out the ball carrier all day on the tipped int and have my jaw hit the floor he looked so sweet doing it...those feet...even when his technique was off his feet were so quick and so good he just made things look effortless...if it was up to me out of everyone at mobile he'd be the top pick...

watching that cat in full sprint to the sideline 4.7 is in play all day long imo...i bet he runs better than 4.8 flat...and at 306...DAMN...

Banks was injured when he had that very underwhelming run of games, esp against Bama. Think it was the calf. Not saying it absolves him completely, but it obviously didn't help.

barkevious mingo
luke joeckel
lane johnson
jonathon banks
keenan allen
jonathon cooper
chance warmack

I agree for the most part with your list but have a question. Do you really feel like Banks is a better prospect than X. Rhodes? Milliner I agree with but Banks, I question...not fully disagree but question. I am a Nole Homer so i want to make sure i am seeing clearly.

Fwiw, I am thinking that T or CB would be our best bet in round 1, especially if we can trade back a few spots.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It was like he was toying with them.

Thats exactly what I thought too. It was kind of funny watching him abuse whoever was unfortunate enough to take him on. Watching it again, I find it hard how you could say Schwenkes game wasn't good. He was great, at both centre and guard.

Back
Top Bottom