hooshoops prospect takes... | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

Hah. You want to talk about validation of a theory? This is validation of a theory:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-wishes-uscs-matt-barkley-left-early-for-nfl
How likely do you think Marrone will take Barkley with the Bills top pick?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw your previous post. I do think the Bills will take a QB and early on I was thinking maybe Tyler Wilson but his senior season along with what I saw in the Senior Bowl has dropped him down pretty far on my board. I still think he has a lot of tools to develop but I don't think he's ready and may take a year or two to work everything out.

Lane Johnson
Jonathan Cooper
Chance Warmack

Speaking of guys who may be available at 12, I think these three players are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. With any of the other guys we're looking at, I think we're talking about guys who haven't yet put it together in a way that makes you confident that they will excel in the NFL (not that they could, but that they will) or guys who don't have ceilings that compare to these three (or some combination of the two).

Banks, though, is interesting. With Coyle's DB background and Banks physical tools, I can see that working.

I've completely moved off Patterson at 12. I still wouldn't hate the pick. I'd be excited, but I would be very nervous, and I think you can add a lot of explosiveness by using either two 2nd's or a 2nd and a 3rd - assuming you pick the right guys. I'd much rather have Johnson/Cooper/Warmack/Banks, Robert Woods, and Markus Wheaton than any combination I can put together that starts with Patterson at 12.

I'd be mostly excited by picking Patterson at 12. But I don't think he's as likely as Banks or Milliner.

You know, I also go back to Hard Knocks. Jeff Ireland is on the phone with Ryan Grigson about Vontae Davis. He's hemming and hawing about the trade demanding a better price. One of the things he said is "I'm reluctant, because then that means I have to go out and get another one."

Says it all, to me. He knew the trade of Vontae created a hole on the roster that he had not filled by giving Richard Marshall a 3 year, $16 million contract. He knew that he would have to turn around and draft a corner high in 2013. I think Johnthan Banks at #12 overall is fairly likely to be that guy.

So if we go CB with the 12th, and most likely grab WR's or WR/TE in the 2nd round, which OLinemen and pass rushers are likely to be there in the 3rd and later rounds?

If we're set on a corner, do you think Jeff trades up for Millner?

Not if Ireland and Co. don't think Banks is a significant drop off from Milliner. Or maybe if they like Trufant a lot, they'll look to move down a bit and see if they can land him lower and get another draft pick in the later rounds.

I'm with you on Barkley. I think he's a player that's down in the dumps publicly but I wonder if that's the case with the teams. I would especially think that when the coaching staffs start to get involved in the process, he would rise a little bit because they'll be able to appreciate how technically sound he is. But I guess that can also go both ways. Some coaches are even more a slave to physical impressiveness than scouts and personnel evaluators, because they think so highly of themselves as coaches they think they can teach a guy to play the game the right way.

I have Barkley going to the Bills. I think he's the kind of quarterback Doug Marrone appreciates. Marrone's Orangemen have actually played Barkley twice, in 2011 and 2012. Barkley didn't have his best game in 2011, or in 2012 for that matter...but if you're a coach you like to think that your game plans had something to do with that. In preparation for the game you probably do a lot of film study and I think there's a fair chance he's going to be impressed by that film work.

I don't know what the Jets are going to do. The obvious decision would seem to be for them to trade a mid round pick to the Seahawks for Matt Flynn. Their GM Idzik was part of the front office staff that signed Flynn, and furthermore Matt Flynn would seem to fit in with Rex Ryan's expectation that they're going to pull in "competition" for Mark Sanchez. What's left unsaid when he talks about "competition" for Sanchez is that it means he doesn't want to completely scrap Sanchez (as they should) and start over with a new guy they're betting the franchise on. Matt Flynn would give them a way to accomplish all that and the Seahawks are pretty smart to make it known that they're not cutting Flynn and that if you want him you've got to trade for him.
For some reason, I think I could stomach Barkley going to the Bills more than the Jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if Ireland and Co. don't think Banks is a significant drop off from Milliner. Or maybe if they like Trufant a lot, they'll look to move down a bit and see if they can land him lower and get another draft pick in the later rounds.

personally i don't see the value when you have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of trading down with that top pick...take the bpa on your board at a need position...ireland says he doesn't go by need when he drafts but i can tell thats bunk...some of his picks have screamed need pick the last few years...

if trufants a top 12 worthy bpa take him there...if he's the bpa on your board and corners a need pounce...the only way i would entertain trading down at #12 when i had all those picks already is if my grade b/t the top guy on my board at that time and say thru my next 10 still available guys was very very close...and even then i'd have a hard time agreeing to it...this team needs difference making legitimate quality not quantity...don't let others dictate or leave yourself in the hands of others...if it's there in front of you run the card up...

With the Texas vs the Nation game tomorrow, a guy worth looking at is FIU's Tourek Williams. I noticed him while watching Cyprien and made a note to look into him more. Not a fully developed pass rusher off the edge, in that he lacks those violent hands to get off blocks. But he has a good get-off, plenty of routes to the QB - particularly at dipping under the block. Patient in his choice of route, FIU lines him up at DT and DE and he picks his hole and his timing to rush cleverly. Gets his hands up when the sack isn't on. Good play-reader who can adjust quickly to the ball.

Very good motor, he takes good angles in run pursuit and they ask him to drop into coverage a fair bit - which he does with decent fluidity for a guy of his size (6'4" claimed - he looks a little shorter to me).

Needs beefing up. Needs work on his hands, but as a late-rounder I think he has value as a depth guy with some versatility.

Here he is against FAU. He got a sack here that was a wide-open run to the QB, but combined for another sack and was a disruptive presence everywhere. A QB pressure should have led to a pick and ended up being a TD for FAU.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/KUC0uxEAJEE?rel=0[/video]

Also at the Texas vs Nation game is NIU's Martel Moore. Basically a lot like Aaron Dobson, but a few rounds later.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if we go CB with the 12th, and most likely grab WR's or WR/TE in the 2nd round, which OLinemen and pass rushers are likely to be there in the 3rd and later rounds?

Depends on free agency. Keep in mind a trade for a veteran is fairly likely.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Trading up is not in Jeff's nature. He says he'd do it, and I even believe that he really believes he would, but in the moment he is too set on value to execute it. He always demands below-market deals in his trades and that means the team trading with him would have to be desperate to trade down for some reason. The only team above us I see desperate to do that would be the Titans and they'll want to trade down more than just two spaces.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

For some reason, I think I could stomach Barkley going to the Bills more than the Jets.

I'm not anxious for him to go to either team.

texas vs nation game televised??? if so want to set the dvr...i still got to take a look at the other all star game a few weeks ago...

Depends on free agency. Keep in mind a trade for a veteran is fairly likely.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Trading up is not in Jeff's nature. He says he'd do it, and I even believe that he really believes he would, but in the moment he is too set on value to execute it. He always demands below-market deals in his trades and that means the team trading with him would have to be desperate to trade down for some reason. The only team above us I see desperate to do that would be the Titans and they'll want to trade down more than just two spaces.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

I'm not anxious for him to go to either team.

CK, just wondering why you feel this way? Is this just for the 1st round pick or the entire draft. I ask because during the past two drafts, without Parcells being in the draft room, Ireland has actually traded up in both drafts to get RB's that he wanted. I'm not saying they were the correct decisions but he did make these moves while not trading back in either draft IIRC. I just think this is another tendancy of Ireland's that people have a tough time distunguishing between having Parcells in and out of the draft room. Then again if you have some insider info I would love to hear about it.

CK, just wondering why you feel this way? Is this just for the 1st round pick or the entire draft. I ask because during the past two drafts, without Parcells being in the draft room, Ireland has actually traded up in both drafts to get RB's that he wanted. I'm not saying they were the correct decisions but he did make these moves while not trading back in either draft IIRC. I just think this is another tendancy of Ireland's that people have a tough time distunguishing between having Parcells in and out of the draft room. Then again if you have some insider info I would love to hear about it.

Trading up in the from the top of the 3rd round to the bottom of the 2nd round, or trading up from the middle of the 4th round to the top of the 4th round, is very different from trading up in the 1st round. And I would not that I believe on both deals he got much better than "chart value" in the bargain.

That's why I said he WOULD trade up, but he's like a fantasy football player that doesn't pull the trigger on a trade unless there's an objective consensus that he got the better deal.

That just makes it not very likely.

CK whats your take on CB-Blidi Wreh-Wilson and CB-Nickell Robey(slot corner imo).

Back
Top Bottom