hooshoops prospect takes... | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

Blidi I have no read on, yet.

Nickell Robey is a guy that I have liked a lot over the years. He is fast, agile, coordinated and feisty. Because of his size you imagine that he's going to be a nickel corner at the next level, obviously. He will have to get heavier than 170 lbs no matter what. But you know, Brent Grimes is barely 5'9" and was 177 lbs coming out. Antoine Winfield was 5085 and 175 lbs coming out. We don't really know what Nickell is until he measures out in the Combine...but those will have to be his role models.

What I particularly like about him is that FOUR times in his career, he had late game picks that either sealed or should have sealed the game.

1. In the 4th quarter against Utah this year (2012), Utah is down 31-21 with about 10 minutes left trying to get their first score in so they can try and come back, and Nickell Robey intercepts a ball, returns it 38 yards for the game-sealing score. And on the interception, the Utah QB was really just trying to throw the ball away at the feet of a screen back coming out of the backfield. Robey read the thing from a distance away and just broke on it like nobody's business, caught it on the run and didn't stop running til he was in the end zone.

2. And of course back in 2011, he did the same thing to Andrew Luck near the end of regulation on a play that Jon Gruden made fun of Luck for relentlessly during QB School. That should've been it. That should've been the end of the game. But Andrew Luck being who he is, he took the ball with like a minute remaining and brought his team all the way down the field and scored a game tying touchdown...putting the game into overtime.

3. That same year the Trojans are playing Notre Dame. Things got desperate for the Irish when Matt Barkley threw a touchdown to go ahead 14 points with only 8 minutes remaining, but the game wasn't over until Tommy Rees tried to go to Michael Floyd in single coverage with Nickell Robey on 3rd & 1, and Robey picked off the ball.

4. Back in his freshman year 2010, they played Arizona State to a wild finish. After a missed field goal by Arizona State, USC tries to run out the clock on the ground but fails to get a 1st down which gives Arizona State the ball back with only 22 seconds on their own 17 yard line needing a field goal to win. Very tough situation to come back from. But on 3rd & 1, Nickell Robey sealed it by picking Steven Threat off. It was essentially a hail mary, hoping for a completion and a penalty which would've allowed a field goal attempt, or maybe just hoping for the receiver to make a play and get the touchdown...but Robey sealed it.

That's a closer. Robey has three pick-6's in his career. I like that.

If any corner's got a chance to beat the odds, it's him. I keep looking right at him whenever I'm filling out my 3B/4A picks in my mock scenarios.

Dee Milliner is and has always been my #1 corner in this Draft but that's starting to get recognized more and now it looks like he won't make it out of the top 10. With that being the case, that makes Johnthan Banks the most likely target for the Miami Dolphins at #12 overall.

Every chance the Dolphins get both Joe Philbin and Jeff Ireland keep talking about the need to add play makers to the offense and takeaways to the defense. That's Cordarrelle Patterson or Johnthan Banks. When the two faced one another, Banks certainly got the better of Patterson, though Patterson impacted the game very strongly overall...so it's not an easy decision but I think the Dolphins would steer toward Banks over Patterson because more of Patterson's value is caught up in his return skills whereas the Dolphins have a return man already in Marcus Thigpen.

We may get a monkeywrench move by Ireland ie trading one of our 2nd rounders to NYJ for Revis and then all but solidifying Cordarelle Patterson is our pick at 12. :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on DE-Corey Lemonier and what round he could go in.

We may get a monkeywrench move by Ireland ie trading one of our 2nd rounders to NYJ for Revis and then all but solidifying Cordarelle Patterson is our pick at 12. :)

If the Jets trade Darrelle Revis within the division for a 2nd round pick they deserve whatever they get.

lol Revis for a 2nd? You'd have 31 other teams on that and it would start a bidding war that will end with some team parting with multiple picks. Revis' value would be inline with what a QB would fetch in a trade...a good QB. He'd probably get more than what Denver got for Cutler when they traded him to Chicago.

Well, figuring just coming off an ACL tear is going to drop his value some.

Well, figuring just coming off an ACL tear is going to drop his value some.
Even off the ACL tear he's going to be in high demand. He was the best corner in the league before the injury even with a slight drop off he'd still be top 10. He'd obviously get a thorough physical before any trade is made.

hoops .....

I've read NFPs latest 'top 200' rankings ... and there was a guy by the name of Melvin White (who I've never even heard of) with the same grade as Damontre Moore. He plays DB at Louisiana Lafayette.

Do you know anything about this guy?

hoops .....

I've read NFPs latest 'top 200' rankings ... and there was a guy by the name of Melvin White (who I've never even heard of) with the same grade as Damontre Moore. He plays DB at Louisiana Lafayette.

Do you know anything about this guy?

you mean the site where they have qb ryan nassib as the top prospect in the class??? ha ha

i've seen louisiana lafayette a few times...but haven't keyed that kid much...guess its something i should try and get a look see...

you mean the site where they have qb ryan nassib as the top prospect in the class??? ha ha

i've seen louisiana lafayette a few times...but haven't keyed that kid much...guess its something i should try and get a look see...

that'll be the one ...

just interested me ... how the system used works ...

I'm not sure how damontre moore ends up with the same grade as melvin white ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Melvin White practice for a week during Shrine week.

Suffice it to say I don't agree with their ranking of him. I think it's a little bit of a reach for size.

they also have duke williams as the #11 available prospect...way too rich for me...i liked what i saw from williams senior bowl week especially in coverage but i like him in a mid round kind of way...

s jonathon cyprien some buzz that he doesn't get out of round 2 by the way...

i like nikell robey also as a nickle corner in the mid rounds...

Despite his great Senior Bowl practices, I'm not that high on Cyprien. Questionable instincts imo. I like Duke Williams a lot more, but I'd agree on the mid round slot. Third maybe.

hoops all best footballs in front of them team...

qb- tyler wilson
rb- christine michael
wr- keenan allen
te- vance mcdonald
ot- lane johnson
og- larry warford
c- brian schwenke

de- kiko mingo de- tank carradine
dt- sheldon richardson dt- benny logan
34 olb dion jordan
lb- alec ogletree
cb- jonathon banks cb- robert alford
s- philip thomas

The reason Duke Williams grabbed a lot of attention at Shrine week and again in the Senior Bowl is because of his ability to come down into man coverage in the slot and fare well there. He's physical in coverage and has the speed and athleticism to keep up with players there. I watched him erase receivers with physical press coverage during drills at Shrine week and he had some of that going for him during Senior Bowl week as well. The NFL loves that. They love safeties they can trust to come down and do that, even though sometimes I wonder why, since NFL defenses don't seem to do it often enough. He definitely plays with an attitude though, has that certain something to him that you think is going to make him a play maker at the next level.

The down side is that when I saw him in regular zone safety coverage, he wasn't that interesting as far as his instincts to the football went in coverage. But he was on USC's radar coming out of High School, he just wanted to play for his home town team.

Also, there are off field problems going on with him that are going to hurt him. He had an outstanding warrant on him for failure to appear in court for a citation, and then in 2011 he got into an accident and the police found that he had an expired license, expired registration and was driving without insurance. He was arrested on the outstanding warrant and also given citations for the other stuff. Previously in 2009 he had been arrested for underage possession of alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom