How are we gonna rush the passer? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How are we gonna rush the passer?

He will also be going up against NFL players instead of the patchwork array of talent he faced in college.

If he had more production against college players Id share your faith, but as it stands, im not expecting much.

Idk man his first step is one of the fastest I’ve ever seen. There’s not many tackles that can handle that one on one, he’s just going to outpace a lot of tackles. Not sure if they’ll lead to sacks but I expect his pressure rate to be very high just off pure athleticism. The skill gap between quality tackles is large compared to quality edge rushers.

FWIW we were 2nd in the league in QB pressure rate. However when we didn't get pressure our pass defense DVOA was next to last in the league. Make of it what you will - we have a new DC and lots of new players.

Hoping for some production from Grayson Murphy. So seldom do you get good testing numbers AND lead the nation production from a UDFA. Obviously must have some flaws to fall out of draft - run defense sucks - but still...

On week 1 w Shaq Barrett, Chop, Kamara and a UDFA or two as our pass rushers?

I think we might not even try.

I think we're gonna go man on all 5 their skills and we're gonna put 3 men deep on top.

I think we're just gonna rush 3 all game.
We are going to find out if the logic to select chop was sound in week 1.

This is nuts. Miami will rush the passer just fine. Plus I expect Phillips to be ready to go opening day.
Phillips will be limited at best if he goes week 1 . I suspect the coaches won’t play him until after after the bye

I'm expecting Phillips by week 1 so add him to.your list. I think Phillips, Barrett and Chop get it done

I think Phillips will be back for the beginning of the season. Chubb might wait until after the bye week. Overall I think Miami is in a better position to pressure the qb than they were in 2023 and they were toward the league leaders in sacks and prssures.
Apparently not, from what I’ve read. Phillips walking with a significant limp, Chubb not so much. For us non Physicians, Isn’t an Achilles usually more an issue than a knee? Brent Grimes was an exception. Marino never fully regained mobility. Folks forget early in Dan’s career he had more mobility other than his trademark… and eerily prescient ability to “feel” pressure and step UP into the pocket. Not saying he was Lamar though.😏

I’m expecting a big drop off in sacks until Phillips and Chubb are 100% healthy.

Barrett isn’t close to the player he was a few years ago. So I’m not expecting much from him in regards to sacks.

Robinson wasn’t a big sack producer in college. So I really don’t see why anyone would expect him to come in as a rookie and get many sacks. Whether he will even be able to go against NFL tackles and provide pressure still needs to be proven.

I think Kamara would be a player that would normally be a bottom of the roster or a PS player if Phillips and Chubb were healthy. He will get the opportunity to show if he is an NFL caliber player because they aren’t healthy at this time but I don’t see Kamara putting on a lot of pressure at this stage of his career.

The loss of Wilkins is also going to seriously hamper the pass rush up the middle. Other than Sieler, I don’t see a defensive lineman who is going to be able to provide pressure up the middle on a consistent basis.

I don’t know if Weaver is going to use his inside LB’s or secondary players to blitz much but unfortunately using the blitz to pressure the QB might end up being the only way they will create pressure without Phillips and Chubb in the lineup.
I think teair tart will surprise a lot of people. He and Chop, on paper, don't have a lot of sacks but they both create a lot of pressure that lead to sacks/rushed throws. I don't think teair tart will be able to play every down but it won't matter if Weaver rotates D-linemen like they did in Baltimore, should keep him fresh. The only worry I have is that I don't know if Chop will be able to set the edge.

I think Phillips will be back for the beginning of the season. Chubb might wait until after the bye week. Overall I think Miami is in a better position to pressure the qb than they were in 2023 and they were toward the league leaders in sacks and prssures.
Phillips reportedly is limping around quite noticeably just walking around his rehab activities at OTA's. He almost certainly will not be ready at the start of the season and is very likely to being the year on PUP. Really the smart thing for both Phillips and Chubb is PUP and a potential return after the bye and even then I hold no illusions that these two will be near the top of their game even at that point, if at all this 2024 season.

The FO echoed this concern with their actions in the draft with Chop in round 1 and Kamara later. Think we need to get comfortable with the fact this defense will not only be new but young in several key spots, pass rushers first and foremost although hopefully Barrett can provide solid play and vet leadership at that spot too.

These rookie pass rushers are not only going to get their shot early on, we're really depending on them if this defense is going to be any good at all.

I think teair tart will surprise a lot of people. He and Chop, on paper, don't have a lot of sacks but they both create a lot of pressure that lead to sacks/rushed throws. I don't think teair tart will be able to play every down but it won't matter if Weaver rotates D-linemen like they did in Baltimore, should keep him fresh. The only worry I have is that I don't know if Chop will be able to set the edge.

He is a handful for sure.

Robinson will be a monster in the NFL. The issue with college is you have certain standout players so teams can scheme for certain players. You can’t do that to the same extent int he nfl because just about every starter is that one player that college teams were scheming against.

If you watch robinson’s tape he was still creating havoc but it was clear qb’s where told to get the ball out quickly and almost always he had double teams.

With that said if weaver’s scheme is similar to the ravens they didn’t just rely on edge rushers. They often blitzed their middle linebackers/ safeties and corners to create pressure.
I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m rooting for Robinson to be the player some hope he will be but right now I’m not expecting much from him in 2024.

Maybe he will be a very good player eventually but neither Cam Wake or Jason Taylor were anything more than average players in their rookie seasons and both of them were better than Robinson, IMO.

Last edited:
Apparently not, from what I’ve read. Phillips walking with a significant limp, Chubb not so much. For us non Physicians, Isn’t an Achilles usually more an issue than a knee? Brent Grimes was an exception. Marino never fully regained mobility. Folks forget early in Dan’s career he had more mobility other than his trademark… and eerily prescient ability to “feel” pressure and step UP into the pocket. Not saying he was Lamar though.😏
We shall see. I could be wrong, but I think that if you have a knee, leg or foot injury that has you limping in May does't mean you can't be healthy in September. Especually not knowing what's going on in his rehab. For example if the injury is healing, but Phillips has swelling or discomfort due to the rehab, that kind of issue can work itself out. One week it's noticable. The next week not so much and a week later not at all. We still have 100 days before the season openner. If the medical staff says the injury is healing or healed and we're just in the process of building back up muscle or suffering from swelling or stiffness taht's different that structional issues causing a limp.

Last edited:
On week 1 w Shaq Barrett, Chop, Kamara and a UDFA or two as our pass rushers?

I think we might not even try.

I think we're gonna go man on all 5 their skills and we're gonna put 3 men deep on top.

I think we're just gonna rush 3 all game.
Don't sleep on Cam Goode.

Back
Top Bottom