How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021?

:munch:
I'm not surprised that your opinion is no improvements next season.
I never said NO improvement. I merely said I don’t expect much improvement. I think the OL will be made up of younger offensive linemen and it is going to take them more than a year to jell into an efficient OL, IMO.
I am not happy with the new OL coach either because if you look at his track record his offensive lines don’t appear good when it comes to preventing sacks. I believe that the OL can develop over the next two to three years and be much better than they have been in recent years but I doubt that Marshall will be the OL coach by the time that improvement takes place.

Looks dim new Oline coach doesn't have a track record and Grier track record is weak.

That being said yes its important we protect this new rookie QB.
In the Dolphins case they need to cover all the bases. We need to hot and heavy after at minium 2 free agents then pick 3 rookies in the draft 1 in the first 2 rounds, 1 in the mid rounds and one in the later rounds. Its a question of numbers when you have a team that is poor at finding talent and next year we plan to the same thing unless we hit pay dirt this year.

Its the most important position we can aquire if we are going all in on a rookie QB.

Trading down from #5 would also help here. Moving from a total of 6 to a total of 7 picks within the top 70 selections would allow us to draft the 3 Offensive Linemen that we need, our new starting RB and a project QB while still allowing us to address our horrendous pass rush.

Without getting too specific, since we have no idea which team might offer a deal for the pick (raiders or Carolina maybe)... we could end up with a Herbert, Eason, Fromm or Love and still come away with 6 new starters.

Now, if we trade up for a QB, all of this goes out of the window.

If we are really serious about fixing the lines, I can see this happening.

1A: Kinlaw, Brown or Espenesa
1B: Chaisson
1C: Jackson, Becton, Wirfs or Jones (they won't all go before this point)
2A: QB
2B: Wanogho, Peart, Biadasz, Harris, Cushenberry, Hennessy, Niang, Throckmorton, etc
2C: RB
3: RT or C from lists above.

I can hear the skill position guys and the Tua guys crying from here... but it's just one option. The option that fixes the trenches.
Deferring the QB selection to the 2nd round didn't really work out for us in 2008. We went from potentially landing Matt Ryan to getting Chad Henne instead, just cause we wanted to prioritize other positions. HUGE difference and huge mistake that set our franchise back. We better not do that again.

Deferring the QB selection to the 2nd round didn't really work out for us in 2008. We went from potentially landing Matt Ryan to getting Chad Henne instead, just cause we wanted to prioritize other positions. HUGE difference and huge mistake that set our franchise back. We better not do that again.

Each year is different... and each class of QBs are different.

…and 2008 was an EXTREMELY weak QB class.

Each year is different... and each class of QBs are different.
I respectfully disagree. We have a top 5 pick now, we don't know when we'll be in this position again. The time is now to be aggressive and move up for a top QB. Trading down and accumulating picks sounds great but it's useless if you don't have a franchise QB. I think waiting for the second round to pick our QB of the future would be a mistake. Yes, fixing the OL and our pass rush is important, but the QB position needs to be our #1 priority in the draft.

I looked up the 2008 class... Two picked in first round, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco… meh...

After that, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Kevin O'Connell, John David Booty, Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson...

I'm going to say that the mistake we made in 2008 was taking ANY QB.

They could of got a jump start on it with their second round pick last year, but that went somewhere else.

I respectfully disagree. We have a top 5 pick now, we don't know when we'll be in this position again. The time is now to be aggressive and move up for a top QB. Trading down and accumulating picks sounds great but it's useless if you don't have a franchise QB. I think waiting for the second round to pick our QB of the future would be a mistake. Yes, fixing the OL and our pass rush is important, but the QB position needs to be our #1 priority in the draft.

Not if the players available at that position do not justify the pick.

...and in my opinion, they do not.

If players actually played to their draft position, then I suppose that I'd agree with you, but they don't necessarily do that. I rather sell the Tua risk to someone else.

Not if the players available at that position do not justify the pick.

...and in my opinion, they do not.

If players actually played to their draft position, then I suppose that I'd agree with you, but they don't necessarily do that. I rather sell the Tua risk to someone else.
Let's just agree to disagree then.

OT Mecki Becton Louisville round 1
OG Joe Thunney
C Lloyd Cushenberry LSU round 4
OG John Simpson clemson round 3
OT Austin Jackson USC round 2

Would I rather miss out on an all time OL or an all time Qb? I'll take the Qb and this may be why teams take risks at drafting Qbs and defer to later rounds to pick up OL

I'm going to say the Dolphins already like at least one player on the o-line who actually played well at the end of the year. Jesse Davis will most like man the RT position.

I grab Thuney in free agency, the move make far too much sense not to.

LT is trickier, but this draft has a lot of top end talent and is surprisingly deep...18 seems like an ideal spot to grab one. There are 5 or 6 1st round day one starters in this draft (lucky us). Jones, Jackson or who ever of the top 4 falls to that spot should be the pick.

Next I look at center and that another position that is deep in this draft. Cushenberry, Ruiz, Harris, Biadasz, McCoy, Williams...so many...3rd round, maybe 4th would be a nice time to grab one of them. If a run occurs then grab the best one at the end of round 2 (it should most likely still be a top 4 center).

I would then look on day three at some of these guys who have shown real well this week at the senior bowl...Bearth, Steele are two that showed great lateral movement and enough strength. At guard, that other LSU kid had a nice anchor and could get to the cut off, that guard out of Kentucky Sternberg I think was another one.

Davis, two in the first two day (LT and C) and a couple of more on day three.

That is at least three new starters and hopefully one more competing for the other guard spot with last years pick.

I think it’s totally possible to rebuild the Oline in within 2 years. On paper, last years Oline should’ve been historically bad, but give the coaching staff credit because they were able to find ways to allow the Oline to look at least respectable in the 2nd half of the season.

I would take a LT in the 1st round and then take a g/c in the 2nd round. Then sign a free agent RT. I don’t want to sign a high price RT, just a player that is ascending or someone for a fair price.

In 2020, we’ll evaluate and make adjustments the following off season. This coaching staff has proven that they utilize players to their strengths and get the most out of talent. Hopefully that continues.

Back
Top Bottom