How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021?

I'm going to say the Dolphins already like at least one player on the o-line who actually played well at the end of the year. Jesse Davis will most like man the RT position.

I grab Thuney in free agency, the move make far too much sense not to.

LT is trickier, but this draft has a lot of top end talent and is surprisingly deep...18 seems like an ideal spot to grab one. There are 5 or 6 1st round day one starters in this draft (lucky us). Jones, Jackson or who ever of the top 4 falls to that spot should be the pick.

Next I look at center and that another position that is deep in this draft. Cushenberry, Ruiz, Harris, Biadasz, McCoy, Williams...so many...3rd round, maybe 4th would be a nice time to grab one of them. If a run occurs then grab the best one at the end of round 2 (it should most likely still be a top 4 center).

I would then look on day three at some of these guys who have shown real well this week at the senior bowl...Bearth, Steele are two that showed great lateral movement and enough strength. At guard, that other LSU kid had a nice anchor and could get to the cut off, that guard out of Kentucky Sternberg I think was another one.

Davis, two in the first two day (LT and C) and a couple of more on day three.

That is at least three new starters and hopefully one more competing for the other guard spot with last years pick.
Awesome post. You were able to articulate what I was thinking better than I would have been able!!

We could fix the OL before next year if they really want to .......with some luck. Teams go from awful OL's to decent in a years time all the time in the NFL.

I doubt if Cushenberry lasts until the 4th round.

If we were to draft Humphreys next season, whatever round we would take him is where we should get Cushenberry this year.

I think he is in the running for 1st C off the board.

Cushenberry with one of our 2nds. Stick him at RG for a season. Kilgore at center.

2021, Kilgore takes a lap, Cushenberry takes over at center...we outbid the Saints for Larry Warford (RG).

I don't see how you don't target a blue-chipper with this much cap space. Especially if you're investing in a franchise QB, especially if that QB has a checkered medical...

Conklin or Thuney are the cream of the crop and I'd overpay for them. I think either guy will succeed on a new team, Thuney with the familiarity he'd have with the coaching staff is a safe bet. Need an anchor that's durable.

If you can't land one of those I'm probably grabbing two mid-tier guys that are fits. But they need to be durable. Glasgow, Karras, Spain are some options.

I like everything I hear about Josh Jones. I think that pick 18 is a clear spot to target a tackle and there's depth there. Add one of the interior guys in the mid-rounds. Ideally you're looking at something like:
LT: Jones
LG: Thuney
C: Kilgore/Rookie
RG: Battle royale
RT: Davis

There are some Free Agents i'd like at RT so i'd say about 50 percent draft and 50 percent Free Agents on this oline.. Just don't break the bank signing some big names like we used to do with SUH and Wallace for example.. I remember thinking the day we signed Suh thinking we could have signed two good DT's for that money and would have been better off.

I think Grier gets it though, He is using analytics so i can see him accumulating draft picks and signing modest free agents that won't destroy the cap is my hope

Free Agency for a start. We need at least one good quality starting guard, plus one experienced tackle. Miami have plenty of coin so spend a bit here. Draft a guard and OT, and if possible a centre. We desperately need upgrades on the O line, so spend a bit.

is it even possible to completely rebuild the line in just 2 odd seasons considering we are starting from absolute scratch?

IMO, yes. However, they should have started prior to the 2019 season. Grier traded for Rosen, but gave Flores no line (with its running game capability) so they could protect and properly evaluate Rosen. This year, all the talk is about picking another young QB early in the draft, and for the 2020 season they STILL won't have a competent o-line in order to protect and evaluate a new QB (should they draft one).

Grier has done a decent job tearing down the roster and trading away overpaid, under-performing players for picks. He's even found a few good Free Agent and undrafted players who may have a future with this team. But, PLEASE keep Grier away from the draft! I have no faith that he will actually put this team on the road toward success on draft day.

Depending on who they get in Free Agency the Dolphins I hope address the Lines on both sides. Within the first three rounds they can get Quality Linemen and their Quarterback. The Third Round I would get the Running Back.

the Dolphins have been unable to develop a solid OL since Sparano.

It's no coincidence that Sparano was under Parcells, who valued tough, physically dominating players in the trenches. When Philbin replaced Sparano, he wanted the short pass to replace the running game. His ideal o-line consisted of athletic "finesse" linemen who could execute his fancy blocking schemes; big, strong linemen who were good at run-blocking weren't wanted. And, everyone saw the result: Tannehill sacked more than any other QB, no strong running game, and an inability to consistently convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground or run out the clock. Gase continued with this same philosophy of a non-physical team.

Now, when hired Flores stated that he wants a tough, physical team that can run the ball. However, even though Grier found some decent Veteran and undrafted Free Agents for the defense, he failed to do the one thing that Flores wanted; to be able to run the ball by building a competent o-line. Grier even gave Flores a young QB with potential, yet refused to provide a decent o-line to protect him in order to evaluate him. I don't trust Grier to rebuild the o-line... not one bit!

Conklin cannot pass protect well enough to earn the big contract he's going to get and I am starting to think that signing a NE OL to a big contract might be a huge risk. They won't have Scarnecchia to coach them and we seem to be scrapping the NE type blocking scheme and going back to ZBS. (You know, the one they have failed to execute or field players for over the last 10 years.)

I have a suspicion that Davis will remain at RT and Deiter will remain at LG with them bringing in a mid-level FA to compete with him.

I think Kilgore only gets cut if we stumble on a center in the draft who can beat him out.

I think the biggest target in the draft for OL will be LT early with some IOL in mid rounds.

Joe Haeg had a very good year for the Colts and is a FA and also came from a ZBS I believe. Could play at either guard spot as well as tackle.

Back
Top Bottom