How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021?

I've soured on Conklin...unless we decide we will be a power running team. It's not impossible, but unlikely seeing as how there is this drumbeat for a "franchise" QB. That said, X Conklin off the list, and use our last #1 to draft Niang out of TCU to be our RT, a position he's excelled at throughout his o-line career:

"Over the span of four years, he has committed just two holding penalties and not a single false start. He has only allowed one sack in his entire college career and that was as a freshman back in 2016. He has not given up a sack over the last three years against competition including Nick Bosa and Chase Young."

I now pound the table for Cushenberry and Niang in 2020. Let Fitzpatrick run around for his life for one more season. Draft a LT high (1st round-Oregon) in 21 when Tua (if he's the guy) has some semblance of an o-line in front of him.

With the Offensive Line being the strength of F/A in 2020, Miami couldn't go wrong in targeting 2-3 starting caliber players. Grier is on record as saying, Miami will be aggressive this year. If he's aggressive it's not out of the question, the Dolphins could have at minimum 1 new OL starter, in 2020. But an argument could be made, a mini overall could be in the cards, as well. I'm personally expecting Miami to sign 3 F/A OL. CK listed a bunch of Offensive Linemen on Twitter, who are linked to Gailey, while with the Jets and Flores while with New England; who Miami may try to sign during F/A. This is where I'd think they'd concentrate their efforts?

The issue with Conklin is for one might not make it out of Tennessee and I think Jesse Davis is the closest to a plus starter we have and I wouldn't displace him.

Graham Glasgow is a guy that's growing on me. He's played at least 15 games his first 4 years. Can play guard or center.

There's probably more OT depth in FA. Brandon Shell has the Gailey connection. Jason Peters feels too much like a Josh Sitton type signing, good on paper but prone to fall of a cliff. Maybe Dennis Kelly, maybe DJ Humphries has turned a corner. Daryl Williams doesn't tick my boxes for durability but probably the most talent for value.

It would be a lot easier if we thought Jesse Davis could kick inside, but I feel like we've seen his best fit is RT.

Say we draft a QB in 2020 with the intention of sitting them for the year and have him debut with a solid OL in 2021. How would you approach rebuilding the line?

which players would you focus on in FA 2020 and 2021. Which rounds would you devote to drafting OL, and which players would you target?

is it even possible to completely rebuild the line in just 2 odd seasons considering we are starting from absolute scratch?

I've said for a while 2 of th '19 OL starters will start in '20. Maybe Kilgore andDavis. 1-2 solid FA OL. I doubt it will be the top FA at ANY position.
Regardless of names, 4-6 weeks for them to gel

Go back in time, don’t trade tunsil, draft o line with every pick and hit at least twice. Playoff team in one season

Trading down from #5 would also help here. Moving from a total of 6 to a total of 7 picks within the top 70 selections would allow us to draft the 3 Offensive Linemen that we need, our new starting RB and a project QB while still allowing us to address our horrendous pass rush.

Without getting too specific, since we have no idea which team might offer a deal for the pick (raiders or Carolina maybe)... we could end up with a Herbert, Eason, Fromm or Love and still come away with 6 new starters.

Now, if we trade up for a QB, all of this goes out of the window.

If we are really serious about fixing the lines, I can see this happening.

1A: Kinlaw, Brown or Espenesa
1B: Chaisson
1C: Jackson, Becton, Wirfs or Jones (they won't all go before this point)
2A: QB
2B: Wanogho, Peart, Biadasz, Harris, Cushenberry, Hennessy, Niang, Throckmorton, etc
2C: RB
3: RT or C from lists above.

I can hear the skill position guys and the Tua guys crying from here... but it's just one option. The option that fixes the trenches.

Kinlaw and Becton in round 1 works well for me.

For the same reasons why you want a rookie QB on a 5 year contract......I think you want your LOT and ROT on rookie contracts.

I'm more comfortable with Kilgore and Boehm at center (as starters) than I am with Davis anywhere. I value experience at center too.

I think RG gets put on an island the most and needs to be an unusually powerful and durable player. LG is the guy I'd want to be athletic enough to pull and lead on running plays. I'd like to get the guards via FA market.

Given our draft picks and money I see no reason why we can't draft a pair of tackles and buy a pair of guards in 2020.

CBA expires in 2020 and if there is no movement it means no cash cap carry over from 2020 to 2021 so FA could be a free for all for teams wanting to spend to the limit and I would assume Miami will be one of those teams. If it wasn't for the CBA expiring I would think the Dolphins would be cautious, could see a lot of very expensive short term contracts.

That said I would expect the Dolphins to draft 2 offensive linemen in the top 5 picks we have in the draft and grab 2 FA expecting all 4 to start....but I've been disappointed before when it comes to the offensive line and Miami drafting.

For 2019, Grier started tearing down the roster in order to rebuild, and I don't miss any player that was cut or traded. (IMO, more should be cut or traded!) I really wanted Grier to replace ALL of Gase's o-linemen for the 2019 season because they sucked. (If your line continually has trouble converting a 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, then you don't have a "real" o-line!) So many people loved Tunsil, Pouncey, and James, yet they were 3/5 of a terrible o-line. As a whole, they had probably below-average pass-blocking skills and no run-blocking skills. These guys were first round picks, so what's the problem?

Was the problem the players? Or, was the problem the blocking schemes they were told to execute? Did the team draft poor players who couldn't execute their complicated blocking schemes properly? Did the team draft good linemen, but forced them to execute ineffective blocking schemes? Philbin wanted the short pass to replace the run, and Gase liked using RBs as receivers out of the backfield. This lack of emphasis on the running game during the previous two regimes might explain why their o-lines couldn't run-block (evidently run-blocking wasn't a valued quality in a lineman to Philbin and Gase), but why did they also suck at pass-blocking? Tannehill was sacked more than any other QB during his first 4 seasons, and later was getting injured and peeing blood, yet he had 3 first round picks protecting him.

Why can't Miami (in recent history) build a competent o-line that can both run and pass block? What is the problem? The players? The Coaches? The blocking schemes? IMO, it's all of the above. When Philbin was hired, he got rid of tough, physical players and wanted to replace the run with the short pass. Gase continued this same garbage, and the o-line has been terrible under both of them. I say go old-school with big, nasty, road-graders that can dominate d-lines. For many years, the Bills and the Jets had tough d-lines, but Miami usually won against them. BUT, once Philbin came along with his "finesse" team, Miami started losing to the Bills and Jets on a regular basis. Coincidence? Not at all! Football is a tough, physical game, but under Philbin and Gase, Miami became the opposite of tough and physical. Miami is starting a total rebuild, so it's the perfect time to reverse the damage done by Philbin, Gase, and let's not forget Tannenbaum!

No idea. It's the OL. No other team acts like this is some riddle of the sphinx type of problem. Spend some money and get some people out there then spend draft picks. Sorry for the jerk style answer but this is supposed to be the easy part.

No idea. It's the OL. No other team acts like this is some riddle of the sphinx type of problem. Spend some money and get some people out there then spend draft picks. Sorry for the jerk style answer but this is supposed to be the easy part.

While other teams also spend the occasional first round pick on an o-lineman, they normally seem to be able to find decent linemen in the middle rounds. Miami uses multiple first round picks and still can't field a competent o-line. I do believe that the coaching/schemes under Philbin and Gase were ineffective, but it sure seems like the Front Office is clueless when it comes to evaluating o-linemen. IMO, the best linemen that Miami has had in the past 10 years have been a healthy Jake Long (who just happened to be the #1 overall pick!) and Incognito (who was a Free Agent).

Seriously people Miami Dolphins 2020 will not look anything like this season - we will spend and trade and draft and sign udfa at a level where this roster will be redone. Miami will have a killer line - as Arnold says “relax you’”ll live longer!”

Thuney is probably my top OL target, but what do you guys think about the prospect of replacing Kilgore with Karras from NE? I think Barry Jackson brought him up.. rated about the same as Kilgore, but more durable and younger. Say we bring him in for a modest deal (but more than DK), and we can hold off on center this year possibly, hoping for Humphrey next year. I think one of the firsts has to go to an OT. Jesse Davis could be our RG or RT next year who knows.... I would think we draft two tackles likely. probably a guard too

Back
Top Bottom