How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021?

Dolphins O-line was much better than our pass rush...and we all know how bad the O-line was.
Opposing QBs couldve baked a souffle with the time they had on each drop-back.

Deferring the QB selection to the 2nd round didn't really work out for us in 2008. We went from potentially landing Matt Ryan to getting Chad Henne instead, just cause we wanted to prioritize other positions. HUGE difference and huge mistake that set our franchise back. We better not do that again.
Sucks seeing Matt Ryan win all those Super Bowls, or that one when he had a 20+ pt lead in the 2nd half.

Sucks seeing Matt Ryan win all those Super Bowls, or that one when he had a 20+ pt lead in the 2nd half.

I too hate the Ryan argument for just that reason.

I remember watching the draft that year. The book on Ryan was that he was the best of what was available in a weak year. A lot of the articles of the time said things like... The Dolphins picked a bad year to have the first pick...

Passing on Ryan WASN'T a mistake. It could have worked... sort of, but I see more Tannehill there than Marino.

ya know?

LOL. If you think that it was the right decision for our franchise to pick Chad Henne instead of Matt Ryan, just cause the latter hasn't won any SBs, I don't know what to tell you.

No, this is a false premise.

No one said Henne over Ryan.

Neither was an option. It was the correct option.

No, this is a false premise.

No one said Henne over Ryan.

Neither was an option. It was the correct option.
Yeah, I can't agree with you, I'm sorry. The Dolphins made a mistake by picking Jake Long at #1 instead of Matt Ryan. That's the bottom line. Instead, they prioritized the LT position and thought they could get their franchise QB in the second round. That's the whole point of this argument, that you don't prioritize ANY position over the QB position. Ever.

But I know you don't agree with that, so this discussion is pointless.

Yeah, I can't agree with you, I'm sorry. The Dolphins made a mistake by picking Jake Long at #1 instead of Matt Ryan. That's the bottom line. Instead, they prioritized the LT position and thought they could get their franchise QB in the second round. That's the whole point of this argument, that you don't prioritize ANY position over the QB position. Ever.

But I know you don't agree with that, so this discussion is pointless.

Again... completely disagree. ...and years where Winston and Mariotta are the top prospects bears out my side of the argument.

Again... completely disagree. ...and years where Winston and Mariotta are the top prospects bears out my side of the argument.
You're right, teams should stay away from high first round QB picks because of Winston and Mariota. If only GMs around the league could see this as clearly as you.

Again... your rude sarcasm is noted... but my real point is that just because a player is drafted highly doesn't make them worthy of that selection.

Reaching for a good QB and pretending that he's a great QB while there are great position players on the board... is a way to remain average.

Again... your rude sarcasm is noted... but my real point is that just because a player is drafted highly doesn't make them worthy of that selection.

Reaching for a good QB and pretending that he's a great QB while there are great position players on the board... is a way to remain average.
You call it reaching because you don't like the QBs that could be available at #5 for us. Which is fine, but I can't agree with a strategy that proposes deferring to the second round to pick our franchise QB.

If we are just relying on draft picks,I don’t see how that is possible. Grier has proven to be incapable of drafting starters for the OL outside of the first round. Even last year when he had full control, his Dieter pick has looked bad.

the Dolphins have been unable to develop a solid OL since Sparano. More than a decade now. It will be a tough task to rebuild one that is competent in just 2 years IMO.
I don't say Deiter pick was bad. He played one of the highest snap counts of any rookie (tied for first until he was benched). Contrast him with some of the 1st Rd OL who were on injured reserve all year or only played a couple games. He's got a long way to go, but be realistic with a mid round OL pick.

ALL players are a gamble. For every Mariotta or Winston you name, we can name a Dion Jordan or Trent Richardson.

You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

I don't say Deiter pick was bad. He played one of the highest snap counts of any rookie (tied for first until he was benched). Contrast him with some of the 1st Rd OL who were on injured reserve all year or only played a couple games. He's got a long way to go, but be realistic with a mid round OL pick.

Yup... and while playing next to the worst group of Left Tackles in the league... and beside an average (at best) Center.

As a rookie, he got NO help whatsoever.

ALL players are a gamble. For every Mariotta or Winston you name, we can name a Dion Jordan or Trent Richardson.

You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

...and seriously held up by every average QB that you select higher than he should have been selected.

Back
Top Bottom