How good is Gibson? Can he push Hartline? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Gibson? Can he push Hartline?

That's what I'm saying...signing him pretty much takes Swope (a speedster who posted a 4.33 40, the 2nd best WR 40 behind Tavon Austin) in the 2nd/3rd round out of the equation. We were doing fine IMO until the Gibson signing...if his contract is $4m or more (which I am sure it is, or just below), you can bet he will be the 3rd guy, which would push us away from getting any legitimate rookies early in days 1-2.

it wont impact swope. Gibson isnt a slot guy. Its swope v bess.

Gibson only posted 100 yards after the catch the ENTIRE season last year which ranked him 167th of total YAC. I really hope somehow he fits in for us, because he isn't/won't do **** after his hands touch the ball.

I don't care after he touches the ball.. As long as he can give me some 1st downs and move the chains... Better than punting the ball since you are complaining/concerned about his YAC

Yeah but no need to reinvent the wheel. We already have bess for that

Oh I agree, I'm just trying to rationalize the Ireland logic lol. That's why I think the Gibson signing is dumb when we could just draft 2 rookies in a good draft

it wont impact swope. Gibson isnt a slot guy. Its swope v bess.

The point is it's the same position, I guarantee you Ireland has the current lineup of Wallace - Hartline - Bess - Gibson going into week 1. There is no way I see him taking a receiver in days 1-2 now. By the way, there are still no updates on the dollar amount he agreed to?

Oh I agree, I'm just trying to rationalize the Ireland logic lol. That's why I think the Gibson signing is dumb when we could just draft 2 rookies in a good draft
Your right. If you want to sign another wr sign Jennings. We def could have gotten someone better in the draft than Gibson. Just kinda shows our focus will not be on wr in this years draft. Maybe late pick

The point is it's the same position, I guarantee you Ireland has the current lineup of Wallace - Hartline - Bess - Gibson going into week 1. There is no way I see him taking a receiver in days 1-2 now. By the way, there are still no updates on the dollar amount he agreed to?

Im ok with that WR unit going into week 1. That looks pretty solid. I think we have bigger needs at this point .

We have to stop thinking about our WR's as 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. Philbin's vision seems to use receivers as a group and puts them in roles according to their skills. I can see Gibson because of his comparable size and speed to Jennings, being used as a middle of the field to sideline or fade kind of receiver. We know how Wallace will be used. Bess will be our slot and chain mover. Hartline is Tannehill's safety net like what you may think a TE would be. Keller is our red zone guy who can fill the middle if the field as well while creating mismatches with LB's. Philbin has a plan for all the WR's

Hit the nail on the head about the thinking about 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's

We have to stop thinking about our WR's as 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. Philbin's vision seems to use receivers as a group and puts them in roles according to their skills. I can see Gibson because of his comparable size and speed to Jennings, being used as a middle of the field to sideline or fade kind of receiver. We know how Wallace will be used. Bess will be our slot and chain mover. Hartline is Tannehill's safety net like what you may think a TE would be. Keller is our red zone guy who can fill the middle if the field as well while creating mismatches with LB's. Philbin has a plan for all the WR's

THANK YOU.

Im so glad someone understands that. Im so sick of hearing about this guy is a #1 this guy is a #3 etc etc etc. It dosent matter what number you put with them or who starts. All of the WRs will have their roles.

Its all about packages and guys being used in situations. Obviously, the more roles a WR can produce with the better. This allows Philbin and Sherman to create matchups to take advantage of. Gibson is a guy who can be used on the outside and sometimes in the slot. He can be very useful in the redzone area. My guess is he takes Hartline off the field a lot once we get inside the 20. He could also be used in the slot at times. It all depends on what the defense is trying to do and what personel they have.

If that makes Gibson a #4 then whatever. The point is he will get plenty of opportunities to contribute. The key is having 4 or 5 guys who can produce. Thats what were trying to do.

Also, what happens if Wallace gets injured? Does that make Hartline a #1? No. It makes him Hartline. If any of our WRs get injured, guys have to step up and do more things. Thats why versatility is key.

The way we try to use WRs also leads to thinking Bess could be phased out. He really only has one role that he excels at. He dosent offer much versatility to create matchup issues with.

Projected 3 or 4. But he wouldn't have agreed to come here unless he was told he would have a big role. I think he is our go to possession guy next year, and puts up similar yards to Hartline, more tds
A lot of it depends on the QB obviously as Brandon Marshall had 11 TD's last year. Brandon Gibson played against the 3rd 4th and 5th ranked D's last year in the NFC South. He's more of a Bess alternate though because he's ranked 34th in the league with 43 1st downs while Hartline is 24th in first downs with 48 and Bess had 38 catches for a 1st down.

THANK YOU.

Im so glad someone understands that. Im so sick of hearing about this guy is a #1 this guy is a #3 etc etc etc. It dosent matter what number you put with them or who starts. All of the WRs will have their roles.

Its all about packages and guys being used in situations. Obviously, the more roles a WR can produce with the better. This allows Philbin and Sherman to create matchups to take advantage of. Gibson is a guy who can be used on the outside and sometimes in the slot. He can be very useful in the redzone area. My guess is he takes Hartline off the field a lot once we get inside the 20. He could also be used in the slot at times. It all depends on what the defense is trying to do and what personel they have.

If that makes Gibson a #4 then whatever. The point is he will get plenty of opportunities to contribute. The key is having 4 or 5 guys who can produce. Thats what were trying to do.

Also, what happens if Wallace gets injured? Does that make Hartline a #1? No. It makes him Hartline. If any of our WRs get injured, guys have to step up and do more things. Thats why versatility is key.

The way we try to use WRs also leads to thinking Bess could be phased out. He really only has one role that he excels at. He dosent offer much versatility to create matchup issues with.
Couldn't have said it better man...but in terms of who gets the most targets? I would say it goes Wallace, Hartline, Keller, Bess, and Gibson but would be shocked if Wallace went over 85 catches. The goal is to spread the wealth.

It's a contract year for Bess. I imagine this being the last season for Bess. They may have decided to sign his replacement now. I think Gibson is more of a redzone target than any of the other receivers. He's not fast but he runs some nice routes. Check out the Rams/Redskins game.

YAC from last year was only 100 yards.
what about his other 3 years o playing ball.
i have watched a lot of his film and i cant believe he had onl 100 yards after the catch unless he caught 90% of his catches in the red zone.
the film i have watched this kid runs after the catch,always trying to deek for that extra yard.so i guess last year he didnt have YAC but how about his previous seasons
i like this kid and i think he will only help RT and the rest of his team with his aggressiveness.

We have to stop thinking about our WR's as 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. Philbin's vision seems to use receivers as a group and puts them in roles according to their skills.

Ya right .... Wallace was handed a king's ransom to just be a guy in the mix. LOL

Back
Top Bottom