How good is Gibson? Can he push Hartline? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Gibson? Can he push Hartline?

Ya right .... Wallace was handed a king's ransom to just be a guy in the mix. LOL

Still not going to ride him. He opens up the offense and that is his # 1 role. His #s are important and him scoring is important. But what he means in terms of how our O operates is far more important. He will give Hartline options underneath and over the top as well. He will open the field for Bess to be a more effective RAC guy and chain mover, he will help our TE's stretch the seam and work the middle, he will help our running game at the second level and beyond.

Sure you paid for bombs, catches and TD's, but you also paid for a player that makes those around him more capable of playing their roles more successfully. He in a way is like a good point guard, catcher, or 5 hole hitter. His presence will help others as much as his play helps us.

From what it's worth, Tim Brown on XM radio thought Gibson would be a better/more productive WR for Miami than Mike Wallace. This was talked about a couple days before Free Agency

Gibson revealed he was told he will be used as an all around the place receiver. He mentioned in his interview that he was going to be moved around from the slot to outside etc. The more I listen and observe the more it does seem Bess isn't in the picture.

Looking at the corps we have one speedster (Wallace), an outside possession guy (Hartline), an all around the place slot/possession guy (Gibson), and then strictly a limited slot guy (Bess). Matthews likely can be that flanker should we get rid of Bess and Gibson would slide as the main slot guy. But being that we mainly got Keller to be a seam threat TE, that kinda minimizes the use of the slot spot some but he is also slightly undersized for TE.

So this makes me think that Egnew will be used as more the red zone TE while Keller more the seam threat. But if you notice our WRs are not red zone big targets. This leads me to think there's a possibility that Binns, Fuller, or Tyms will have a chance to become of more value than Bess and Bess not being in the picture.

Wallace, Hartline on the outside with Gibson in the slot. Keller will stretch the seam and middle of the field with Egnew being inserted as a big red zone target when in the red zone. Binns or Fuller are big tall receivers who may have value relative to need in scheme than Bess. But we'll truly see as this thing unfolds.

I always have room for a proven slot wr who picks up 3rd and 5s on 3 step drops

Back
Top Bottom