How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
$16-18 is the right amount. Less than that would be a bargain. He will be a contract we end up regretting if we pay more than that.

I’d offer him a 4-year, $70 million deal with $50 million guaranteed, and if he said no, I’d just let him play next season out with the intention to franchise tag him.

The non-exclusive franchise tag for DTs was $18.9 million this year. It will be under $20 million next year. There is no reason to extend him if it’s going to cost more than $18 million per year. We can keep him this year for $10 million, next year for $19.5 million (on the franchise tag), and at that point he’ll be turning 30 and will come much cheaper if we want to keep him around.
If we don’t keep them, we just can’t let them walk for nothing. We have to strategize and rip a payday. He would be highly desired.

He sack numbers don't compete with others in league in his position.
I can see us drafting DT with first round pick next year. Love the guy but his is only 14 million per year tops
couldn’t that be part of what he’s asked to do?

I love the guy but I'm not giving a red cent of my cash. I did vote for the team to award him a contract in upper mid- range. He's a special talent that can play multiple rolls on the DL imo.

Wilkins while not a premium pass rusher from the DT spot, does a good job of collapsing the pocket from the middle, which forces the QB to release or move. It also distracts the QB allowing the edge(s) to close out on him. Wilkins is above average in skills, and very good as a leader and should be compensated as such.

Connecticut… but his “home” is Clemson. He hangs around quite a bit and is unbelievably beloved around the upstate.

His senior year at Clemson he actually served as a substitute teacher for a 5 year old kindergarten class for about a month lol. The kids just loved him.

His personality is infectious and he’s the single best team leader I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around up close.

He’s worth every penny and really just entering his prime. Everybody calls him a run stuffer and he is but he can and will rush the passer. His sack #s don’t back that up… yet.

But that’s bc he’s been the main focus of opponents OLs bc we haven’t had that other great/elite player up front to take pressure off of him. Now with Chubb entering his 2nd year and Phillips about to explode on the NFL… I’d be stunned if his sack #s doesn’t see a significant increase.

He’s every bit worth the 20 mil/year. He is not just the leader of this team on defense but he’s right there as a leader for the entire team. Opponents absolutely loathe him and he’s able to get under their skin…. Ask Josh Allen lol. He’s the guy that if he’s on your team you love him but if he’s the opponent you despise him.

Plus we drafted and developed him. Keep our homegrown products at home. Pay this man immediately!
Agree....the guy is a legend in these parts and his personality is both huge and positive.

Still, this is a business decision and the right market for him is the $17M - $19M mark in my opinion.

Not saying it’s conclusive evidence of anything, but keep in mind, Christian Wilkins has never made a Pro Bowl or All Pro team. The perception of him around the league does not appear to match what some on this site think of him. I don’t think many non-Dolphins fans would list him as a Top 5 DT in the NFL, and maybe not Top 10.

I think his on the field worth is no more than the 14-16M per range at this point, anything more and you're betting on him getting better as a pass rusher imo. And that's a though bet to make...

All but one season in Wilkins career were seasons in which the Fins ended the year with a negative point differential, which has put him in position to highlight his strengths as a player. Opponents are alot more prone to run the ball on you when they have a lead, which they had a lot more often than not.

Signing him long term, you have to project his play on a team you assume is a SB contender, which means comfortable positive point differential which inevitably leads to more pass happy opponents. And this is where Wilkins needs to make a difference. We also have to assume the Fins won't be Blitzing at a top of the league rate going forward, does that make it easier for him to pressure the QB?

Its easy to fall in a trap where you look at his play on a mediocre team, conclude he stood out so much that you need to pay the man, ignoring that the type of football games he's going to be involved in during his next contract are going to be completely different.

I wont be mad if its in the 16-18M per range, but I think that's an overpayment. He's a good team player and leader, if you're going to overpay, might as well be on that type of player...

Wilkins is the best defensive lineman on the roster and the heart of the defense. You don’t let players like Wilkins go. So they need to find a number that both sides can agree on and lock him up for the next 4-5 years.

Not saying it’s conclusive evidence of anything, but keep in mind, Christian Wilkins has never made a Pro Bowl or All Pro team. The perception of him around the league does not appear to match what some on this site think of him. I don’t think many non-Dolphins fans would list him as a Top 5 DT in the NFL, and maybe not Top 10.
Just because non-Dolphin fans might not view him as a top 10 DT doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 10 DT. In fact based on his stats, he is certainly a top 5 DT and I don’t give a damn how he is viewed by anyone who Is not a Dolphin fan.

Just because non-Dolphin fans might not view him as a top 10 DT doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 10 DT. In fact based on his stats, he is certainly a top 5 DT and I don’t give a damn how he is viewed by anyone who Is not a Dolphin fan.
Simple question. If we were to ask every other team, if they would want him, what do you think the vast majority would say?

In a heartbeat.

Wilkins is clearly an ascending player, I cannot wait to watch him blossom under Fangio. $18-20 mm is fair and IMO should be done shortly after June 1. If he takes off this season as I suspect it's only going to end up costing you way more. Dudes like him just don't fall off trees everyday, which is a good thing for those walking below. Pay that man before he gets to the open market.

Connecticut… but his “home” is Clemson. He hangs around quite a bit and is unbelievably beloved around the upstate.

His senior year at Clemson he actually served as a substitute teacher for a 5 year old kindergarten class for about a month lol. The kids just loved him.

His personality is infectious and he’s the single best team leader I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around up close.

He’s worth every penny and really just entering his prime. Everybody calls him a run stuffer and he is but he can and will rush the passer. His sack #s don’t back that up… yet.

But that’s bc he’s been the main focus of opponents OLs bc we haven’t had that other great/elite player up front to take pressure off of him. Now with Chubb entering his 2nd year and Phillips about to explode on the NFL… I’d be stunned if his sack #s doesn’t see a significant increase.

He’s every bit worth the 20 mil/year. He is not just the leader of this team on defense but he’s right there as a leader for the entire team. Opponents absolutely loathe him and he’s able to get under their skin…. Ask Josh Allen lol. He’s the guy that if he’s on your team you love him but if he’s the opponent you despise him.

Plus we drafted and developed him. Keep our homegrown products at home. Pay this man immediately!
Not only is a he top player at his position but a wonderful human being, natural leader and brings the fun element to the team. You have to keep him

Back
Top Bottom