How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
Wilkins and Seiler are the heart and soul of our defense and leaders of the whole team......we either pay him and or trade him for a first round pick.....if he leaves in free agency all we'd get for him is a 3rd round comp pick IF that.

The next question then becomes how much is Seiler worth and can Miami keep him?

Also gives credence to Miami drafting a DT with 51 or 84.

Who ya got your eye on at 18 Ghost? I might be up for it if there is some major slippage going on.

Michael Mayer. And I'd be looking at a DT right after that, of course.

I like Wilkins. Started a thread right before the season suggesting it was time to pay him now before it became difficult and just not worth it.

I don't know what he's asking for but if its Jeffrey Simmons money, it's not going to happen.

Contract negotiations are a big weakness for this FO. We only know how to pay top dollar or move on.

Not giving a damn how a player is viewed by anyone other than people who are biased and root for him, in the context of a discussion of the player’s market value, is weird.

How the league views Wilkins is all that matters. It’s what sets his market value.

Also, evaluating DTs based on stats is kind of weird. In most schemes, if your defensive tackle is getting 80 tackles, something has gone horribly wrong. It’s not a good thing.
He will get paid as one of the top DT’s in the league if the Dolphins are foolish enough to let him leave in free agency. Because that is exactly what he is. The 2023 season will likely be Ogbah’s last season as a Miami Dolphin.

So the Dolphins will have plenty of cap space to sign Wilkins to the $18-20 million a year contract he deserves. I suspect they will sign him once they cut Jones after June 1st.

Can you elaborate on the football mechanics of that statement? It makes no sense to me, but maybe I will learn something.

Would you prefer LBers making the tackles 7 yards farther down field, or Safeties 12 yard down field?
I suspect you can't make a decision on a defensive players value without considering the performance of the players around him.

If we sign him to 20 mil a year this team will never win a superbowl. Trade him or let him walk. I dont even want to pay him, or any DT, 10 mil plus per year. Not even Aaron Donald anymore.

Its like paying an RB 12 mil per year. Only bad teams do that. I love Wilkins but he is going to get paid big time and I hope it isn't by us.

Agree....the guy is a legend in these parts and his personality is both huge and positive.

Still, this is a business decision and the right market for him is the $17M - $19M mark in my opinion.
Give him the high end and allow him to make it team friendly in the signing bonus

I love him and want him to stay as I think our studly run stopping is largely because of him. If we let him go we better get something for him AND have a plan to fill that huge void. He has been a healthy force, plays quite a bit.
Yeap he a big cog in team. But what's his value on market it seems 14 million range to 16 .
Say his agent wants that 22 million do we say thanks and draft his position in first round next year ?
Or can we move ogbah on or restructure his deal ?

If we sign him to 20 mil a year this team will never win a superbowl. Trade him or let him walk. I dont even want to pay him, or any DT, 10 mil plus per year. Not even Aaron Donald anymore.

Its like paying an RB 12 mil per year. Only bad teams do that. I love Wilkins but he is going to get paid big time and I hope it isn't by us.
That's fine in theory, but you are not going to have a very good interior Dline with that philosophy.

Right now there are 20 IDL players making more than 10m per, and that is going to rise every year we go forward.

I don't want to pay CW 20m per season, but the market is what it is

Back
Top Bottom