How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters

10) Christian Wilkins, Miami Dolphins​

Christian Wilkins is the class clown. He’s a “Mic’d-Up” legend with a mean split and one of the best personalities in the game. He’s also one of the most ferocious competitors in the league.

And in 2022, the hard work paid off. Wilkins led the league with 55 defensive stops, but his ridiculous effort in making tackles well outside his area of operation is remarkable.

Wilkins has come into his own recently, giving us one of the best individual performances of the season against the Chargers and 49ers in consecutive weeks. He possesses great lateral quickness, but his flexibility gives him an even greater advantage when anchoring against blockers. He’s one of the best pure run defenders in the NFL.

:ffic:

As PFF notes, the PFF 101 is based only on the play of players in 2022 and doesn’t consider past or future performance. It’s solely about the top individual performances of this past season, highlighting who PFF sees as the best players of 2022.

PFF continued unveiling its list with Nos. 75-51 on Tuesday, and former Clemson defensive lineman Christian Wilkins of the Miami Dolphins came in at No. 58 on the list.

“Miami fielded a dramatically improved defensive front this year, and Wilkins was one of the biggest drivers of that,” PFF’s Sam Monson wrote. “Wilkins had 33 total pressures and was one of just two interior defenders to play more than 1,000 snaps, with Super Bowl champ Chris Jones the only player to top him in workload.”

Wilkins took another step forward in his fourth NFL season, amassing a career-high 98 tackles (59 solo) to go with 3.5 sacks, six passes defended, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery over 17 games in 2022.

Wilkins has blossomed into one of the top interior run defenders in the NFL and has established himself among the Dolphins’ core defensive pieces. The Dolphins have already picked up the 2019 first-round pick’s fifth-year option for 2023, and they figure to eventually try and sign Wilkins to a long-term deal.

Christian Wilkins, Interior Defensive Lineman​

Stats: 98 total tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 6 passes defended, 17.5 run stuffs, 30 pressures

Best Game: 23-17 Loss vs. Los Angeles Chargers

Choosing Wilkins’ best game of the season was difficult given how consistent he was. However, his performance against the Chargers in prime time is a worthy selection.

Wilkins lived in the Chargers' backfield, especially in the first half. He was disruptive against the run and even generated four pressures, according to PFF.

The Dolphins lost, but Wilkins finished with nine total tackles and two run stuffs — tied for his single-game high. What defensive tackles do well doesn’t always show up in the boxscore, but Wilkins made the Chargers’ life quite hard that night.

Worst Game: 31-27 Win vs. Detroit Lions

Selecting Wilkins' worst game was a bit challenging, but Miami’s game against Detroit wasn’t a stellar day for anyone on the defense.

Wilkins finished the game with just one tackle and one run stuff and no other stats. PFF grades are not the end-all-be-all for player evaluation, but he finished with his lowest overall grade of the season (29.7) against the Lions.

Wilkins just wasn’t a factor in this contest, and the Lions' offense took advantage as they racked up 393 yards of offense.

Can you elaborate on the football mechanics of that statement? It makes no sense to me, but maybe I will learn something.

Would you prefer LBers making the tackles 7 yards farther down field, or Safeties 12 yard down field?
I think you may have unintentionally edited the quoted language. I didn’t say if “our” DT is making that many tackles something has gone wrong. I said in most systems, if “your” DT is making so many tackles, something has gone wrong.

That’s because in most systems, a defensive tackle’s job is to occupy blockers and funnel ball carriers to the linebackers. In those systems, it’s a linebacker’s job to shoot the gaps and make tackles around the line of scrimmage — the defensive tackle’s job is to keep the linebackers clean.

For example, both of our starting DTs had 70+ tackles last year. Aaron Donald, a player many regard as the best defensive tackle of all time, has had more than 70 tackles once in his career and has had fewer than 50 tackles in 6 out of his 9 seasons in the NFL. For his career, he averages about 3 tackles per game.

Our system under Boyer was abnormal. We let our DTs basically freelance and play like oversized linebackers while our linebackers mostly played shell coverage as though they were safeties. It’s not like they were making these tackles in the backfield. Of Wilkins and Sieler’s combined 168 tackles last year, 23 were for loss. They only had 7 sacks combined.

Yeap he a big cog in team. But what's his value on market it seems 14 million range to 16 .
Say his agent wants that 22 million do we say thanks and draft his position in first round next year ?
Or can we move ogbah on or restructure his deal ?
I think 18 might do it but like I said big decisions are coming. It's a necessary part of having studs on the team. If we are looking to do damage in the next three we have to keep as many studs as we can. I would like Ogbah as depth but if we can get something we have to take it.

Rather have Seiler at 4 to 6 mil per year than Wilkins at 20+ mil per year.
Sieler is worth a lot more than $4 to $6 million per year. But yes, if these are the options, I agree.

Sieler is worth somewhere in the $8-12 range, and Wilkins is worth somewhere in the $16-20 range.

I think 18 might do it but like I said big decisions are coming. It's a necessary part of having studs on the team. If we are looking to do damage in the next three we have to keep as many studs as we can. I would like Ogbah as depth but if we can get something we have to take it.
Yeah I agree. Ogbah will be a casualty come 2024.
We need to be looking down the line for waddle, Holland and phillips for there 5th year option next off season. This is truly the super bowl window right now

Back
Top Bottom