How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
They could franchise him, but that would cost top 5 money too. What would be the point? Might as well just give him a contract.

If you tag him, not only will it cost top $, but you also give up cap flexibility that would be there with a, likely cheaper in the long run, contract. Then you have the exact same situation a year later.

TBH, I think a lot of ppl are reading too much into the situation. The organization knows the price point they are willing to ultimately pay. Wilkins/agent are trying to capitalize on CWs once a career chance at the huge payday. Either they come to a meeting of the minds, or they don't.

I think they learned a lesson about letting a player bend them over a pool table with X. If Wilkins wants ridiculous $, they will let him walk.
Yes, I understand the franchise tag. My point distills down to my belief that Christian Wilkins is a CORE player. Face of the Franchise on Defense.

I also am convinced that the deal WILL get done. Further, I would bet Christian and his agent already KNOW that. And lastly, that arguments about WHEN this WILL get DONE are....redundant. So we agree there!

Well, it isn't as if his departure imminent. We have him for this year either way.

If he is unreasonable in his contract expectations, you have to move on.

I really doubt that is the case. Neither side has to be in a hurry at this point, despite some fans' perception.
I understand brother. I was just stating there has to be a good plan in place as someone new to league isn't going to perform at his level and command double teaming. We will see what Coach Vic and Coach Mike think. If they can't work it out they need to make it worth while to get replacement players.

:ffic:

We agree to disagree. But...it may happen then and if it does I'm sure that you'll be able to argue that it didn't happen for that reason. So ur safe.
OK, I'll listen.

Given what is commonly known about cap and salary mechanics, please explain in sound, rational terms, why you believe one has anything to do with the other.

Please refrain from platitudes, rhetoric, song lyrics, etc in your response. If serious football discussion is not in your wheelhouse, that's fine too as it's not everyone's interest, but then leave it to the grown ups.

Yes, I understand the franchise tag. My point distills down to my belief that Christian Wilkins is a CORE player. Face of the Franchise on Defense.

I also am convinced that the deal WILL get done. Further, I would bet Christian and his agent already KNOW that. And lastly, that arguments about WHEN this WILL get DONE are....redundant. So we agree there!
Since you understand the tag, what would be the advantage in this case? He isn't a guy who gets injured. You know exactly what you are getting.

We tagged MG last year, overpaid him, and ended up letting him walk for no compensation. We probably won't even see a comp pick. It isn't going to make or break the franchise, but let's learn from our mistakes rather than repeat them.

Sorry for the "serious football discussion" comment in my previous post. I know you're a big fan of our team.

You just wear me out with rhetoric and OT stream of consciousness style sometimes...lol

Brother you post has some truth to it, the question will the player selected on day 3 have the same impact as Wilkins? If not who will pick up the workload as we are in need of DT depth as well. We also are limited on draft picks.

Wilkins is the premier run stuffer in the league so no we likely wouldn’t find a 1 fur 1 replacement. However his production can be achieved with better off ball lb play and 2 solid DTs. Give me Drew Sanders in round 2 and a day 3 DT and that’s done and done fir a fraction of the price

Last edited:
Wilkins is the premier run stuffer in the league so no we likely wouldn’t find a 1 fur 1 replacement. However his production can be achieved with better off ball lb play and 2 solid DTs. Give me S Drew Sanders in round 2 and a day 3 DT and that’s done and done fir a fraction of the price
another guy who thinks drew sanders is a safety? or what do you mean with that s in front of his name?

another guy who thinks drew sanders is a safety? or what do you mean with that s in front of his name?
No that was a typo or more likely an auto correct. My iPhone does that all the time and sometimes I don’t catch it. Drew Sanders is 100% an off ball LB. One that would fit Fangio’s defense like a glove and someone we should draft hands down.

Wilkins is the premier run stuffer in the league so no we likely wouldn’t find a 1 fur 1 replacement. However his production can be achieved with better off ball lb play and 2 solid DTs. Give me Drew Sanders in round 2 and a day 3 DT and that’s done and done fir a fraction of the price
Yes but what about a RB, TE, and offensive lineman upgrade?

$16-18 is the right amount. Less than that would be a bargain. He will be a contract we end up regretting if we pay more than that.

I’d offer him a 4-year, $70 million deal with $50 million guaranteed, and if he said no, I’d just let him play next season out with the intention to franchise tag him.

The non-exclusive franchise tag for DTs was $18.9 million this year. It will be under $20 million next year. There is no reason to extend him if it’s going to cost more than $18 million per year. We can keep him this year for $10 million, next year for $19.5 million (on the franchise tag), and at that point he’ll be turning 30 and will come much cheaper if we want to keep him around.
This seems pretty much spot on.

I agree with Jimmy Johnson that you don’t pay excessive contracts to non premium positions. Wilkins is a good run stuffer but is simply not worth the money Simmons got.
Jimmy believed DL was a premium position.

Jimmy believed DL was a premium position.
He openly criticized us for the Suh contract. It’s where I got the quote you don’t pay high salaries to non premium positions. He may have drafted them but he didn’t pay them inflated contracts

Back
Top Bottom