How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
He openly criticized us for the Suh contract. It’s where I got the quote you don’t pay high salaries to non premium positions. He may have drafted them but he didn’t pay them inflated contracts
Not advocating giving CW top DT $, but "high salaries" is relative.

When he said that about Suh, he was getting more $ than a lot of good players, including QBs, Corners and pass rushers, at premium positions.

These days 20m is commonplace for various positions, and some positions you can't touch for considerably more.

I have noticed that you consider the going rate as overpaying for almost every player we sign. I think maybe you don't realize what the market has become. I understand that we are talking huge amounts of $, but it is what it is. You simply can't compete with just drafted players and meh FAs. The league pay structure isn't designed to do so.

Every year the cap rises so by default, salaries are going to rise proportionally.

In the last 10 years the cap has risen by over 100 million. That $ has to be spent, and the pie is still split 51 ways. You can't compare today's contracts to those of even five years ago.

When he said that about Suh, he was getting more $ than a lot of good players, including QBs, Corners and pass rushers, at premium positions.

These days 20m is commonplace for various positions, and some positions you can't touch for considerably more.

I have noticed that you consider the going rate as overpaying for almost every player we sign. I think maybe you don't realize what the market has become. I understand that we are talking huge amounts of $, but it is what it is. You simply can't compete with just drafted players and meh FAs. The league pay structure isn't designed to do so.

Every year the cap rises so by default, salaries are going to rise proportionally.

In the last 10 years the cap has risen by over 100 million. That $ has to be spent, and the pie is still split 51 ways. You can't compare today's contracts to those of even five years ago.
Yes all of that is true however we already have so many contracts around 20 mil for positions much more important than DT. I’d much rather sign Davis and Sieler for the money Wilkins gets rather than sign him and let the other 2 walk.

Since you understand the tag, what would be the advantage in this case? He isn't a guy who gets injured. You know exactly what you are getting.

We tagged MG last year, overpaid him, and ended up letting him walk for no compensation. We probably won't even see a comp pick. It isn't going to make or break the franchise, but let's learn from our mistakes rather than repeat them.
Geez you just don’t get the point… We’re not gonna franchise him, We’re not gonna let him walk, We’re going to sign him. And when we do I bet the deal is going to be pretty darn close to what Simmons got. My point remains that signing him now is a little premature… We’ll see if something more (another player like DH) gets done by Grier between now and the draft. I think something will. Tanks a little low right now, but moves can still be made and money can still be found including the space we’ll get in June.

Hold your water Mach2 - Hey so I voted 20…a 4 year deal with about 60 guaranteed and a nice big signing bonus. What’s your number?

Last edited:
Geez you just don’t get the point… We’re not gonna franchise him, We’re not gonna let him walk, We’re going to sign him. And when we do I bet the deal is going to be pretty darn close to what Simmons got. My point remains that signing him now is a little premature… We’ll see if something more (another player like DH) gets done by Grier between now and the draft. I think something will. Tanks a little low right now, but moves can still be made and money can still be found including the space we’ll get in June.

Hold your water Mach2 - Hey so I voted 20… What’s your number?
I voted 16 - 18.

And you don't get my point. I was asking for a lucid, rational, theory or explanation of your statement rather than rah rah rhetoric and broad generalities of what you want to happen.

Monkees can throw **** against the wall and see what sticks. I'm more interested in people's perspectives if they have a good reason for throwing the turd.

I believe I said that???
Sorry Art! The all caps were a little bit heavy… Somehow got the impression that you saw Wilkins as just a run stopper and wasn’t worth top DT money. The “cut it out can’t ya” was from my favourite Bugs Bunny cartoon (Barnaby Coast Bunny) and the “open your eyes” bit was from the Kayak commercial… Sorry bud. 🫢

XACTLY!! I've said (correctly) even 'average' players get surprisingly BIG $ contracts. It's the situation in the NFL. Top players get even more. Yes, there is such thing as too much, but salaries are rising every year, like it or not

$16-18 per. Wilkins doesn’t have as many flashy plays as other top DTs, but his impact on opposing offenses is consistently disruptive, no matter who the opponent is. THAT is difficult to replicate. He’s invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom