How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
I love Wilkins but 16 to 18 million thats currently winning this poll is too much.

He stops the run well but offers little in pass rush. 12 to 14 is fine. Not a penny more
The difference between 14 and 16 is 2.

You gonna let team captain, class A ball grabber, Josh Allen mind gamer and by the way, a pretty OK player walk for that? Who would you replace him with. There are no Pro Bono guys in da NFL.

I don't think we're gonna be able to keep him for anything less than 18. That's even less than franchise tag so we're kinda stuck either paying him or letting him walk for nothing.

I love Wilkins but 16 to 18 million thats currently winning this poll is too much.

He stops the run well but offers little in pass rush. 12 to 14 is fine. Not a penny more
I tend to agree BUT I think his pass rushing is improving. I won’t be upset if he’s paid but I also won’t be upset if he’s traded.

You've advocated against paying non pass rushers for years on here, which I fully agree. I was thinking max like 15. Why the change of heart?

I still feel that way for the most part, but the shift to more two-high looks, with a lot of it stemming from Fangio, puts more pressure and value on DT's. Wilkins was one of the two or three best run-defending DT's in the league, statistically the best. He also has upside as a pass rusher. Hard to get to the QB when the DC is sending 6 and 7 in passing situations.

Also, hard to lose him from a team-chemistry perspective.

I still feel that way for the most part, but the shift to more two-high looks, with a lot of it stemming from Fangio, puts more pressure and value on DT's. Wilkins was one of the two or three best run-defending DT's in the league, statistically the best. He also has upside as a pass rusher. Hard to get to the QB when the DC is sending 6 and 7 in passing situations.

Also, hard to lose him from a team-chemistry perspective.

How many years, though? I love him so this is an overpay that won't upset me but I don't see him taking a 4 year deal and I'd be surprised if he was still the same player by then anyhow. 20 for 6 sounds like one of those contracts that bite them in the ass down the road after they've kicked the can a few times.

I'd throw out 14 for 5 and hope for the best, assuming a Sieler contract is coming.

How many years, though? I love him so this is an overpay that won't upset me but I don't see him taking a 4 year deal and I'd be surprised if he was still the same player by then anyhow. 20 for 6 sounds like one of those contracts that bite them in the ass down the road after they've kicked the can a few times.

I'd throw out 14 for 5 and hope for the best, assuming a Sieler contract is coming.
Agree here, and one of the few times I disagree with J.

And I also agree with the fact he's the type of player where I can deal with an overpayment.

Putting aside the Platonic ideal of what Wilkins is “worth,” can someone explain to me why we would ever give him a long-term contract worth $20 million per year when we can keep him this year at $10.7 million, then non-exclusive franchise tag him for 2024 for approximately $19.5 million?

He turns 30 in 2025. Why would we go out of our way to lock him into a $20 million-per-year contract for his 30s when we can keep him through his 20s without doing that?

I get signing him to a team-friendly multi-year deal that ensures he’s here and happy for the next 3-4 years. But if push comes to shove and he won’t accept team friendly, why would we not just let him play on his fifth year option then franchise tag him? If in 2025 we still want him, we can always give him a multi-year deal then.

Yeah. Team leader… “intangibles” and all that great too… we’d be overpaying him at $13-14mil/year because of appreciating all the extras.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got 4yrs/$68mil type deal on the open market… but I think it’s just not a good value at those type of numbers. He’s honestly not a value at anything over $12mil/year. Love the player, but if you’re looking long term, that’s the reality.

Yeah. Team leader… “intangibles” and all that great too… we’d be overpaying him at $13-14mil/year because of appreciating all the extras.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he got 4yrs/$68mil type deal on the open market… but I think it’s just not a good value at those type of numbers. He’s honestly not a value at anything over $12mil/year. Love the player, but if you’re looking long term, that’s the reality.
I agree, I'd like him at 10 mil, I'd be okay with 12... I'd be kinda ticked at 14.... anything more than 14 I'm unhappy.

Your last paragraph sorry your last sentence really caught me Bob Dole…and Chad. You’d “throw out 14 for five and hope for the best?”

Chris Grier don’t hope for the best. 🤠

Last edited:
The difference between 14 and 16 is 2.

You gonna let team captain, class A ball grabber, Josh Allen mind gamer and by the way, a pretty OK player walk for that? Who would you replace him with. There are no Pro Bono guys in da NFL.
Yeah and dares no Pro Romo people in da 📺 audience! Ha ha 🤠

Putting aside the Platonic ideal of what Wilkins is “worth,” can someone explain to me why we would ever give him a long-term contract worth $20 million per year when we can keep him this year at $10.7 million, then non-exclusive franchise tag him for 2024 for approximately $19.5 million?

He turns 30 in 2025. Why would we go out of our way to lock him into a $20 million-per-year contract for his 30s when we can keep him through his 20s without doing that?

I get signing him to a team-friendly multi-year deal that ensures he’s here and happy for the next 3-4 years. But if push comes to shove and he won’t accept team friendly, why would we not just let him play on his fifth year option then franchise tag him? If in 2025 we still want him, we can always give him a multi-year deal then.
We could but it would be nicer to have the flexibility to sign him to a contract that has a much smaller cap hit next year so that we have more money to play with; same as we've done with the structure of other contracts. And you're also in the same spot the following year except now the tag costs closer to $24M.

We could but it would be nicer to have the flexibility to sign him to a contract that has a much smaller cap hit next year so that we have more money to play with; same as we've done with the structure of other contracts. And you're also in the same spot the following year except now the tag costs closer to $24M.
Yeah but if you can kick the can on a good but not great DT 2 years, you should. Especially by then, we won’t be in this very open window for a SuperBowl run and will need to be more cautious.

I like the idea of he’s not down with a super team friendly deal.

Back
Top Bottom