How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
Yeah but if you can kick the can on a good but not great DT 2 years, you should. Especially by then, we won’t be in this very open window for a SuperBowl run and will need to be more cautious.

I like the idea of he’s not down with a super team friendly deal.
He is represented by an agency called Athletes First, anybody think they'll be inclined to negotiate a "team friendly" deal based just on their name alone? They want their money, Wilkins wants them to show him his money, there will be no big time hometown discount here, like it or not. Fair point about controlling his rights for the next two years, that's where any perceived discount will materialize. Either way, I'm excited to see him utilized in a different way under Fangio. I have a feeling he's going to absolutely tear it up this year.

Even in college, Wilkins didn’t register a lot of sacks and QB pressures so it’s reasonable to think he continues this trend.

Sieler’s run stuffing strengths are similar to Wilkins, so Offenses scheme to limit the impact.

Yeah but if you can kick the can on a good but not great DT 2 years, you should. Especially by then, we won’t be in this very open window for a SuperBowl run and will need to be more cautious.

I like the idea of he’s not down with a super team friendly deal.
By that logic, better to sign him, get the cap savings in the 1st year of the contract (instead of having to pay the full 19.5 next year) and use the savings to take advantage of this super bowl window. If there is in fact this short window, then once its closed its not gonna matter if we're taking a big cap hit on him.

He sack numbers don't compete with others in league in his position.
I can see us drafting DT with first round pick next year. Love the guy but his is only 14 million per year tops
It's not just about his sack numbers, Christian is the natural leader of the Defensive line and should improve further under Vic Fangio. He is a keeper for the future and we should not be cheap when it comes to locking in key players. GM, Chris Grier did a good job drafting Wilkins and we need to pay the correct market rate to keep him in an aqua and white jersey. (BTW - I don't know how a fellow Aussie like winnyason can accurately gauge the market rate while wandering with the wombats and echidnas Downunder).

Last edited:
It's not just about his sack numbers, Christian is the natural leader of the Defensive line and should improve further under Vic Fangio. He is a keeper for the future and we should not be cheap when it comes to locking in key players. GM, Chris Grier did a good job drafting Wilkins and we need to pay the correct market rate to keep him in an aqua and white jersey. (BTW - I don't know how a fellow Aussie like winnyason can accurately gauge the market rate while wandering with the wombats and echidnas Downunder).
Yeah Spiketex I actually noted in a further post deal would get done.
His value to phins is greater than on open market. So while his sack numbers are not high if he left, would a greater player become available in next year draft ?
I assume answer is no.
He team captain is what he does will provide space for chubb and phillips.
Sorry I was noting dollar figure here and watched morgan Harper getting eaten alive by nrl panthers on Saturday night.

Another thought I had today. What if Wilkins is a draft day trade?

You know Grier wants more picks. Wilkins is a great player, but that salary cap is going to be challenging. Wilkins could get a 1st rounder in return.

Maybe the interest in these top DT's is as a replacement option?

Of course, I'm probably wrong.

You know Grier wants more picks. Wilkins is a great player, but that salary cap is going to be challenging. Wilkins could get a 1st rounder in return.

I don't see it happening... and I don't see that value on him for a 1 year rental, either. Isn't that what we paid for Chubb but for half a season? He would generally be considered the better player (cue 40% of the fanbase calling him a **** player) at a more premium position.

@bradmcnutt13 yeah I mean, it works both ways... I guess the response to that is you get to try him 1 year at a time as opposed to guaranteeing to him to 2+ years... although like others have mentioned, it's not a good look when you let your leader walk.

It's a nuanced position - he's very good, but he's far from ELITE and he plays at a less important position... The drop off from him to Sieler is simply not enough to justify their salary differences... if we're talking straight business, and you could only keep one, then Sieler will be a better value all day long. Hopefully we can keep both and/or Wilkins comes in closer to that $12mil number.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Would you trade Wilkins for Darnell Wright or Dewand Jones? I would. Then you draft your run stuffing DT in round 2.

I will still not be surprised if the Dolphins end up trading Wilkins eventually. I do not like that this would happen and yet I am not sure they will be able to invest that much in a DT and still be able to pay Phillips, Tua, Holland? Kader etc.

I do not know this exactly and could be wrong but I think of it like when the Patriots traded Richard Seymour years ago when I think he was in his prime and with that got a 1st round pick .....yadayada as I do not want to go into that too much.

I would hate to see him go, he is one of my favourite players right now for sure.

Let’s just say we did end up trading him. What do you think we’d get back? I’d hope more than just 1 first round picks

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Would you trade Wilkins for Darnell Wright or Dewand Jones? I would. Then you draft your run stuffing DT in round 2.
I think Wilkins means so much to the defense. But you've got to factor in the contract. At some point, Miami won't be able to keep all the talent they want to keep.

It's risky because you never know about draft picks. SF did something similar with Buckner a few years back and his replacement flopped.

I would prefer yo keep Wilkins.

I think Wilkins means so much to the defense. But you've got to factor in the contract. At some point, Miami won't be able to keep all the talent they want to keep.

It's risky because you never know about draft picks. SF did something similar with Buckner a few years back and his replacement flopped.

I would prefer yo keep Wilkins.
Everyone loves Wilkins and he’s awesome BUT , Waddle, Holland , Phillips and possibly Tua are going to need paid soon. Personally I think Tua is done after 2024 but if he does stay healthy for two years that’s potentially 180 million in 4 players. That’s why I won’t be upset if Wilkins is traded.

He is represented by an agency called Athletes First, anybody think they'll be inclined to negotiate a "team friendly" deal based just on their name alone? They want their money, Wilkins wants them to show him his money, there will be no big time hometown discount here, like it or not. Fair point about controlling his rights for the next two years, that's where any perceived discount will materialize. Either way, I'm excited to see him utilized in a different way under Fangio. I have a feeling he's going to absolutely tear it up this year.
there is a lot going on when it comes to signing contracts these days with hi levels players, one who is the face of your franchise, is smart, and wants to be here, I would be willing to bet Wilkins and co get creative to allow us flexibility in our cap.

Everyone loves Wilkins and he’s awesome BUT , Waddle, Holland , Phillips and possibly Tua are going to need paid soon. Personally I think Tua is done after 2024 but if he does stay healthy for two years that’s potentially 180 million in 4 players. That’s why I won’t be upset if Wilkins is traded.
Right. I wouldn't be surprised either. It's different as a fan. Of course you want to keep everyone and add star talent everywhere.

In reality, there is a salary cap. Sure it can be manipulated, but eventually the bill comes due as we are seeing with the Rams.

AS a GM, you've got to weigh Wilkins value against others as you highlighted. Can you find a younger replacement without a significant talent drop?

Back
Top Bottom