How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
Sorry Art! The all caps were a little bit heavy… Somehow got the impression that you saw Wilkins as just a run stopper and wasn’t worth top DT money. The “cut it out can’t ya” was from my favourite Bugs Bunny cartoon (Barnaby Coast Bunny) and the “open your eyes” bit was from the Kayak commercial… Sorry bud. 🫢
Loved him at Clemson and love him as a player. His attitude is contagious. Have to pay him

Wilkins is a premier run-stuffing DT but not a premier pass-rushing DT.

In 2016 the premier run stuffing DT was Damon Harrison (he was the highest graded run stuffer for DTs for 3 years straight I believe). He was a free agent and got a 5 year 46 million dollar contract. That's a little over 9 million a year. The year prior Suh signed a 6 year 114 million dollar contract, in 2016 Fletcher Cox got a 6 year 103 million from the Eagles, in 2016 Muhammad Wilkerson got 5 year 86 million from the Jets, in 2015 Marcell Dareus got 6 year from 96 million from the Bills.

Every player besides Harrison had double-digit sacks at some point before getting their monster deal (Fletcher Cox had 9.5 in 2015 but was a 2 time All Pro before his contract). It should also be noted that Dareus, Wilkerson, and Suh did not play out their deals and Suh and Cox never made an all pro team after turning 30 and have had a combined 1 pro bowl appearance since turning 30. While Wilkerson and Dareus were both out of the NFL before making it to 30 years old and Harrison was out of the NFL by 32. Wilkins will be 28 this year.

Last edited:
It all depend on market off DT or DE and how bad dolphins want keep him. NFL is business. it all about money. players want get paid...

Wilkins is a premier run-stuffing DT but not a premier pass-rushing DT.

In 2016 the premier run stuffing DT was Damon Harrison (he was the highest graded run stuffer for DTs for 3 years straight I believe). He was a free agent and got a 5 year 46 million dollar contract. That's a little over 9 million a year. The year prior Suh signed a 6 year 114 million dollar contract, in 2016 Fletcher Cox got a 6 year 103 million from the Eagles, in 2016 Muhammad Wilkerson got 5 year 86 million from the Jets, in 2015 Marcell Dareus got 6 year from 96 million from the Bills.

Every player besides Harrison had double-digit sacks at some point before getting their monster deal (Fletcher Cox had 9.5 in 2015 but was a 2 time All Pro before his contract). It should also be noted that Dareus, Wilkerson, and Suh did not play out their deals and Suh and Cox never made an all pro team after turning 30 and have had a combined 1 pro bowl appearance since turning 30. Wilkins will be 28 this year.
This is a very good and informative post.

This may not be popular, but finding a trade partner for Howard after 2023 might be smart.

I would think Grier would have to draft a starting caliber CB in April to nail the position down. That's an area where you always want to be strong and deep.

Freeing up Howard's contract could allow Grier to keep both Wilkins and Seiler.

This may not be popular, but finding a trade partner for Howard after 2023 might be smart.

I would think Grier would have to draft a starting caliber CB in April to nail the position down. That's an area where you always want to be strong and deep.

Freeing up Howard's contract could allow Grier to keep both Wilkins and Seiler.
Probably wouldn't be popular with other GMs around the league either.

Not sure what value he really as at this time

XACTLY!! I've said (correctly) even 'average' players get surprisingly BIG $ contracts. It's the situation in the NFL. Top players get even more. Yes, there is such thing as too much, but salaries are rising every year, like it or not
ZACHTLY! Take the amount you think it should be and add 4 million your number and there’s the amount! SIMPLE!

Hey invisiblesolid - show yerself! 🫥 Never seen you before and you voted with the righteous! Ha ha

I think he'd have to have a bounce back year to even make it possible.
That was my first though too.

Even then, without getting into contract weeds, in 2024 he will be due over 18m in cash salary. That's a lot for an aging Corner who's best days as a press cover guy are likely in the rearview.

That's not even getting into the dead cap beating we would take.

IDK, at this point I would almost rather he get a ring (or two) here, retire a Dolphin, and ride on into the sunset.

I love Wilkins but 16 to 18 million thats currently winning this poll is too much.

He stops the run well but offers little in pass rush. 12 to 14 is fine. Not a penny more

Back
Top Bottom