How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves?

How does KC fee with Chad Henne backing up Mahomes? Think their investment at qb is larger than Miami? Half a billion$
Show me the 4 surgeries Mahomes needed in two years of college play. Go. We drafted a fragile player. Backup is part of that plan. Has to be.

Does Grier and Co care? They made the pick. They will instead build a line and take their chances. I dont see Miami doing any earth-shattering moves. They can get a journeyman qb. Tons to choose from on a one year deal.
They haven't had the chance to care. They have RF who is pretty much one of the best backups in the league and they JUST made the change to Tua this year. It;s an off-season concern. Just voicing it as a priority. If you don't think it;s one that's cool. I want what you don't want across the board. So, I'm glad you disagree.

What does having 4 surgeries in college have to do with anything? It is possible that Tua could end up staying relatively healthy in the NFL.
That's based on what? Sure, he can get lucky. Luck isn't a strategy. Having an ample backup that can hold the season together when the starter goes down IS a strategy.

Show me the 4 surgeries Mahomes needed in two years of college play. Go. We drafted a fragile player. Backup is part of that plan. Has to be.
And guess what? Until this year Dak never really got injured. Injuries happen all the time so you really can't worry about it. **** happens!

Right. So what's your point? Have no backup?
My point is no team has a great backup QB so why worry about it? Just look at the Steelers last year. They were terrible once Big Ben went down for the season. So I am not going to lose sleep on who the backup QB will be next season. They will have a backup QB on the roster but he won't be some world beater. That's just the facts.

Last edited:
My point is no team has a great backup QB so why worry about it? Just look at the Steelers last year. They were terrible once Big Ben went down for the season. So I am not going to lose sleep on who the backup QB will be next season. They will have a backup QB on the roster but he won't be some world beater. That's just the facts.
So because other teams having bad backups is a thing we should not want to win if Tua goes down? That couldn’t make less sense if it had too.....

Fitz isn’t going to want to backup next year. He has to now bc he’s under contract but it’s the last year of his deal.

So because other teams having bad backups is a thing we should not want to win if Tua goes down? That couldn’t make less sense if it had too.....
His point is not many teams have a legit backup because it isn’t typically possible to have two top flight players at the position.

Riddle me this? Name me one team who has a great backup QB? Most teams don't worry about backup QB's because there aren't even 32 good starting QB's in the league. You think the Chiefs or Ravens are worried about having a good backup QB? No because they know if they lose Mahomes or Jackson their seasons are toast anyways. The reality is most teams don't really put an emphasis on the backup QB position and for good reason. There just isn't enough good ones out there to really worry about it.

Last edited:
This is crazy but I think the coaches would insert Perry or Bowden Jr. In case of emergency... but I think they will draft a back up QB with potential in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round.

Having a quality Backup QB is essential but not necessarily the norm. Miami seems to have had an above average Backup QB since Earl Morrell was here.

With that being said, I'd hope, Fitzpatrick, doesn't leave for what he feels is greener pastures, elsewhere. IMHO he's in the perfect position in a state where there aren't any State Taxes. And as a man who's about as close to retirement as Fitzpatrick is, I'd think it be a factor in any decision to stay or leave.
I do understand his appearent desire to continue to play as a starter. But he needs to realize he may not get a starters role anywhere. He's regressed a bit in 2020 with regard to arm strength and it shows in his choices of where he's throwing the ball, usually the shorter route.

As a fan I'd love to see him return as the main backup.

I think for the first few seasons of Tua's career it's going to be very imprtant to have a decent vet, one with starting experience, as the backup. Ideal backup would be former starter, ok with being a reserve and in the 28-29 range.

Back
Top Bottom