How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves?

Having a quality Backup QB is essential but not necessarily the norm. Miami seems to have had an above average Backup QB since Earl Morrell was here.

With that being said, I'd hope, Fitzpatrick, doesn't leave for what he feels is greener pastures, elsewhere. IMHO he's in the perfect position in a state where there aren't any State Taxes. And as a man who's about as close to retirement as Fitzpatrick is, I'd think it be a factor in any decision to stay or leave.
I do understand his appearent desire to continue to play as a starter. But he needs to realize he may not get a starters role anywhere. He's regressed a bit in 2020 with regard to arm strength and it shows in his choices of where he's throwing the ball, usually the shorter route.

As a fan I'd love to see him return as the main backup.
I don't see Fitz coming back next year especially if Flores finds out he or his agent was the one who leaked out the info that Tua was going to be the starter. He will most likely retire if he can't compete for a starting job somewhere else.

As opposed to almost every other position it completely depends on the circumstances. If your qb never gets hurt during the season, its not important. If your qb is out for the season, its prolly not that important since your season is almost assuredly done. If your starting qb is out for a few games, the quality of your backup qb could determine your season.

Its really the only guy on the roster you hope doesnt play

Exactly! I believe he had two elective surgeries on his ankles.
Yup! And they were so he didn't have to miss a chunk of time. He could have sat a couple weeks but CHOSE to do it to come back sooner AND strengthen his ankles. But some people don't like facts and only want to see what they believe. That's like saying my wife has had 3 surgeries in her life but 2 were opted c-sections.

Yup! And they were so he didn't have to miss a chunk of time. He could have sat a couple weeks but CHOSE to do it to come back sooner AND strengthen his ankles. But some people don't like facts and only want to see what they believe. That's like saying my wife has had 3 surgeries in her life but 2 were opted c-sections. Yes, that really is 3 surgeries... but 2 were chosen to be done and weren't a big deal.
Ya for sure. Let's face it, the only serious injury Tua has had was the hip injury last year and seems to have recovered nicely from it.

My point is no team has a great backup QB so why worry about it? Just look at the Steelers last year. They were terrible once Big Ben went down for the season. So I am not going to lose sleep on who the backup QB will be next season. They will have a backup QB on the roster but he won't be some world beater. That's just the facts.
You just stated why having a quality back up is needed. You’re kind of backwards on that statement.

Last edited:
Riddle me this? Name me one team who has a great backup QB? Most teams don't worry about backup QB's because there aren't even 32 good starting QB's in the league. You think the Chiefs or Ravens are worried about having a good backup QB? No because they know if they lose Mahomes or Jackson their seasons are toast anyways. The reality is most teams don't really put an emphasis on the backup QB position and for good reason. There just isn't enough good ones out there to really worry about it.
Right. So because of that, we should just hire any warm body? Did I get the RIDDLE right?

How many of those were actually elective surgeries? Go. I'll wait.
Elective? Yeah. Electing to have a surgery that gets you back on the field as opposed to missing the rest of the season ALA the two ankle tightrope procedures..... Sure, he could have not had them and played a full year in totality in Sophomore and junior year but then he wouldn't be our QB at pick 5...

Injuries caused him needing to partake in elective surgeries returning him to the field faster than natural healing.

They haven't had the chance to care. They have RF who is pretty much one of the best backups in the league and they JUST made the change to Tua this year. It;s an off-season concern. Just voicing it as a priority. If you don't think it;s one that's cool. I want what you don't want across the board. So, I'm glad you disagree.
Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of the best backups in the league?

Right. So because of that, we should just hire any warm body? Did I get the RIDDLE right?
Ya pretty much like every other NFL team does. I would actually rather the Dolphins draft a late round developmental QB to be the backup instead of bringing in another veteran retread. But I wouldn't waste a high draft pick on one. They need to use those picks on other positions.

So to the OP. Is backup the plan more important than filling the starter and depth that is needed to compete in the afc? I mean if we had $x or a pick and it came down to an olinemen that could start vs a qb, who is Mia taking?

So to the OP. Is backup the plan more important than filling the starter and depth that is needed to compete in the afc? I mean if we had $x or a pick and it came down to an olinemen that could start vs a qb, who is Mia taking?
I'm always drafting for players that can start before anything else.

We don't need to spend a high pick on one but it needs to be addressed. I mean Matt Moore held down the fort when Mahommes went out and they won the SB. Guy does not have to be a world beater and hopefully we get some weapons in the next draft to make it easier on someone.

Back
Top Bottom