How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves?

I think if your over-all team is good the backup is very important. All you have to do is look what happened to Pittsburgh last year. If the Dolphins are becoming a good team, then they should have a good backup.

A good back up is always a positive asset. Look at what Teddy Bridgewater meant for the Saints last year. Nick Foles when the Eagles won the Super Bowl Or even Matt Moore for us in 2016 and the Chiefs last year. May not win you games all the time but if you need someone to hold the fort down for a few weeks it is best to have
someone who you can count on to keep the season intact.
I agree with all of this but I wouldn't prioritize it enough to spend a draft pick before round 5, or sign an FA to a lucrative deal.

I remember a team whose starting QB broke his leg and they had to rely on an older but once good QB. I thought their season was over at that point but an unexpected thing happened- they finished the season undefeated (17-0). Back-up QB is a very important position on any NFL team.

I remember a team whose starting QB broke his leg and they had to rely on an older but once good QB. I thought their season was over at that point but an unexpected thing happened- they finished the season undefeated (17-0). Back-up QB is a very important position on any NFL team.
That was a totally different era and the Dolphins had a dominant running game back then. Nowadays the NFL is all about passing and scoring.

I think if your over-all team is good the backup is very important. All you have to do is look what happened to Pittsburgh last year. If the Dolphins are becoming a good team, then they should have a good backup.
But the problem is how many good backup QB's are there in this league? Heck there aren't even 32 good starting QB's in this league.

Couldn’t we just poach Rosen off the TB practice squad? :out:

Sorry, couldn’t resist

I would say relatively important. Tua's biggest question mark is his injury history. Miami needs to have an above average backup IMO.

Show me the 4 surgeries Mahomes needed in two years of college play. Go. We drafted a fragile player. Backup is part of that plan. Has to be.
Not everyone has to agree with you that because a player has happened to get injured in the past that they are more likely to get injured in the future, thereby making you question irrelevant.

They will have plenty of Cap room so a solid vet should not be hard to come by.

Agree. Seems there are some here who think the backup sits on the bench watching youtube waiting for the starter to get hurt. No other value to the team. N-N-N-N-O-P-E

Correct. Making Op's entire argument irrelevant.
Did it? He wasn't just beebopping around campus and then stopped and said: HEY! Why don't I have two surgeries on my ankles that puts shower tension bars in them! Weeee! That would be fun. He got hurt twice. Both high ankle injuries. Two separate injuries. Each "elective" surgery was a more expedient way to get him back on the field.

Not everyone has to agree with you that because a player has happened to get injured in the past that they are more likely to get injured in the future, thereby making you question irrelevant.
Does it? Here's the question. Do we not want to win games when he does go down? Crossing our fingers and hope he comes Favre health wise seems to be a irresponsible concept to me. A backup QB is insurance. We need better insurance based upon Tua's injury history. It;s really not that difficult of a concept but let's keep on making it until everyone gets it!

Did it? He wasn't just beebopping around campus and then stopped and said: HEY! Why don't I have two surgeries on my ankles that puts shower tension bars in them! Weeee! That would be fun. He got hurt twice. Both high ankle injuries. Two separate injuries. Each "elective" surgery was a more expedient way to get him back on the field.
Nope, they were to strengthen the tendons.

Sorry you're upset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom