How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves?

So to the OP. Is backup the plan more important than filling the starter and depth that is needed to compete in the afc? I mean if we had $x or a pick and it came down to an olinemen that could start vs a qb, who is Mia taking?
When Tua goes down which he will.......we need a plan post RF. That's all I'm saying. We can't just slap a warm body in there. Go ask Pitts how that went.

I love how so many people have super short memories of our QB's injury history. Now he's in the NFL he's made of Superman's cape, valerian steel, and boat bumpers! Cheers to Tua The Invicible! Maybe in his off time he can fight Wolverine to stay in shape!

After this week's leak of the change to Tua, it seems that there is a chance Fitz wouldn't want to be on the team next year. If he leaves, knowing Tua's injury background in a fairly short sample size of really two years as starter at Bama, I'm thinking backup QB is a high priority if RF isn't on the team. As much as I'm excited about Tua being under center, I am expecting he might miss about three games a season on average. Yes, we're building an O Line but even the best O Lines still see their Qb's go down.

To me, I would pencil in backup if Fitz isn't staying right behind DE, WR, RB and OL in the draft.

I've said elsewhere, the primary importance of the backup is mentor/knowledge/experience. Even if the backup isn't a capable starter, vet experience matters a LOT. That DOESN'T mean ignore play capabilities, but it does mean a rookie QB won't get it. If someone has the time, it would be interesting to know the ages of every teams' QBs.

When Tua goes down which he will.......we need a plan post RF. That's all I'm saying. We can't just slap a warm body in there. Go ask Pitts how that went.
And if Tua goes down for any length of time the season would be toast regardless of who the backup QB is. If you are relying on your backup QB to save the season it ain't happening. You act like there are good backup QB's just lying around everywhere. That ain't the case.

And if Tua goes down for any length of time the season would be toast regardless of who the backup QB is. If you are relying on your backup QB to save the season it ain't happening. You act like there are good backup QB's just lying around everywhere. That ain't the case.
Why would that be? Mahomes got injured last year and they won the SB. Brees went down and Teddy kept it together. Ever hear of a guy named Brady who came in for Bledsoe? Keenum as Teddy's backup?

Why would that be? Mahomes got injured last year and they won the SB. Brees went down and Teddy kept it together. Ever hear of a guy named Brady who came in for Bledsoe? Keenum as Teddy's backup?
Wait was Mahomes out for the year or did he only miss a couple of games? Was Brees out for the year? Do you think the Chiefs win the Super Bowl last year if Mahomes was out for the season? I don't think so. Brady came in and never gave up the position. He wasn't a true backup QB.

Yup. I will always maintain in any given year there are only 25-28 NFL starters in the NFL. That's it. Same for backups. 'Good' backups are far less common

Wait was Mahomes out for the year or did he only miss a couple of games? Was Brees out for the year? Do you think the Chiefs win the Super Bowl last year if Mahomes was out for the season? I don't think so. Brady came in and never gave up the position. He wasn't a true backup QB.
So you think the backup only plays if the QB is out for the year?

So you think the backup only plays if the QB is out for the year?
No but what I am saying is if a team loses their starting QB for the year their season is probably toast no matter who the backup QB is. The only exception was Nick Foles with the Eagles. But that was like lightning in a bottle. That is not the norm. You are placing way too much importance on the backup QB position when it normally is not a factor in a team's overall success.

Long term, I think the key ingredient that our backup QB should have is an ability to run our offense in a similar manner. Myself, I prefer tall, pure-pocket QBs, but now that we've committed to a rolling pocket guy, I think that we should confine our backup search to that type of QB.
When Tua is out for a game or three, it will be important for the team to have a continuity for the rest of the offense. I don't like the idea of forcing everyone on the offense to change their game at a moment's notice.

Long term, I think the key ingredient that our backup QB should have is an ability to run our offense in a similar manner. Myself, I prefer tall, pure-pocket QBs, but now that we've committed to a rolling pocket guy, I think that we should confine our backup search to that type of QB.
When Tua is out for a game or three, it will be important for the team to have a continuity for the rest of the offense. I don't like the idea of forcing everyone on the offense to change their game at a moment's notice.
Agreed. I like that the Eagles got Hurts behind Wentz. Similar playing styles. Makes it way easier

Back
Top Bottom