How Miami Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Could Benefit From Waiting | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Could Benefit From Waiting

We've been given several clues and they all lead to "he's not ready". He's probably not going to improve much during the season holding a clipboard but he'll get a little more knowledgeable. He won't get many snaps in regular season practice.

This offense is based on quick passing which happens to be one of his flaws. We also haven't even seen much of what the offense is going to be doing. We've also been without several contributors who figure to be a large part of the offense. Wilson, Grant, Parker, Drake.

Also lots of moving pieces on the OL.

It's only a matter of time before Fitz, fitzes to bed and Rosen gets thrown into the fire. He seems like a bit of a gamer and even though he is not reading the defense fast enough and making his progressions, he seems to have better pocket presence and "escape-ability" than Tannehill. We'll eventually get a look at him.

If you figure in the lack of cohesion/chemistry on the line & the quick-passing aspect, Fitz is probably better AT THIS MOMENT. They must be counting on the OL improving so that will help when Rosen comes in. We may also be several weeks away from getting back some starting talent on offense.

Losing Jim Caldwell DID NOT help either. Bigger loss than most realize, IMO.

I dont think you know what facts are and are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Are you saying you dont believe we will draft a QB next year?
There’s so many things that can happen between now and the draft and we might not be in a position to draft a 1st round QB. Nobody knows. That’s why it was a good move to trade for Rosen. If they don’t do it, they may end up with no QB next year.

There’s so many things that can happen between now and the draft and we might not be in a position to draft a 1st round QB. Nobody knows. That’s why it was a good move to trade for Rosen. If they don’t do it, they may end up with no QB next year.

Sort of what I was thinking....counting your eggs before they hatch. So many things could happen....

Herbert has a lousy year
Tua gets hurt or decides to return for his senior year.
We end up drafting outside the top 10

I think there's a lot of "good news" regarding Rosen.

First and foremost, the questions about his team orientation, dedication, astrological sign etc. have pretty much evaporated. The kid seems to be focused, and working on his craft 1 step at a time. And I also think he's benefiting from the environment he landed in -- starting with Flores who has a long term, sustainable plan to develop PRO players, especially QB.

Second, the kid is only 22 and certainly has lot's of room to grow -- physically, mentally, and of course leadership/maturity. It looks to me there's a lot to work with -- he has a live arm, good pocket awareness, good vision, and the mental chops to eventually master the position.

Beyond that -- I think the kid has (overall) handled himself well since landing in SFL. And I do get the feeling he's gradually regaining his confidence and basically doing as told -- building his game up 1 lego at a time.

I think it's also to his benefit that he landed in a "developmental" program where he's pretty much surrounded by a team that's a work in progress. The overall vibe is good medicine for a young player to grow in...

That said, I can honestly say I have zero clue just how far Rosen can develop as a PRO QB. I think he's got a number of qualities that support a positive projection -- but it's really contingent on him really putting all the pieces together (which we all know is really difficult as an NFL QB).

But I can't possibly see Flores throwing the kid into the fray week 1. It would be an overly aggressive move, with unnecessary risk. Therefore I'm in full support of us taking the methodical approach -- and not forcing things when we don't have to. In this case I honestly believe that's in the best interests of ALL parties involved.

Well the New QB would face the same scenario as Rosen, he will have to learn, so why not let Rosen play? so their is no need for a QB next year.

I guess what he means is, if you're going to trade for a QB that doesnt work well with pressure, and sit him down because you cant put him in a situation where your team is probably going to end up in the bottom 5 of the league in pressures allowed. There's some kind of disconnect in the overall team building strategy department... Nevermind that you have made every effort possible into getting yourself in position to draft a QB just next year...

It is common for fans to have unrealistic expectations for draft picks. Picks 21-32 at the bottom of the 1st round have a historical success rate of 47%. Second round picks success rates are lower especially down where Rosen was acquired. It was a reasonable calculated risk. We still do not know if the risk paid off.

It is common for fans to have unrealistic expectations for draft picks. Picks 21-32 at the bottom of the 1st round have a historical success rate of 47%. Second round picks success rates are lower especially down where Rosen was acquired. It was a reasonable calculated risk. We still do not know if the risk paid off.

Exactly let the boy build his confidence

I think it makes sense. Miami opens with Baltimore and New England, with two super bowl contenders, with two of the best coaches in the NFL. Whether Miami starts Fitzpatrick or Rosen, the Dolphins are likely to be 0-2. Factor in a young, inexperienced Miami offensive line, and it makes sense to go with the veteran.

At 0-2, bringing in Rosen would lessen the pressure on the young quarterback. By then, fans will be calling for a change and will back him.

Of course, if Miami somehow wins one of those first two and Fitz is playing well then what do you do?

Simple rule years ago was that a QB took 3+ years to be ready for the NFL (did you ever see ELWAY his rookie year?...how about Brady?).....QB's like MARINO are generational and a system on to themselves.

This point and click mentality that so many fans show today have destroyed several QBs that could have actually become good.

Here is a novel idea....first block and pass protect...then see what we have at QB....otherwise have yourself a LUCK (I don't blame the kid at all for retiring, no reason to ruin your life if pass protection is something relegated to the past).

There is a real philosophy out there that shows letting a young qb watch from the sideline is beneficial to their growth..

We have a real bad situation with our Oline that behooves us to let them gel for a few games with regular season speed testing them, before you put a young qb in.

You have a young 22 year old qb that lost his confidence last year who played for a dysfunctional franchise.

If you watch his interviews, while being very astute and smart he is telling anyone who listens that he’s not all there yet as far as knowing this new offende, which is his third one in 1 and a half years of his NFL life.

Let him watch Fitzpatrick, a pros pro, (something he didn’t have last year to observe), prepare and start the season, give him another month to learn what to do as he approaches the LOS, protections, pre snap stuff, let him see regular season game speed, let that line find some sort of comfortability, together, get him more confident in his knowledge of the offense.

Protect the asset, he’s showing signs of improving and taking steps, that Jag game he took a big one..let him be the best version of himself before he goes out there..

If you listen to Mahomes he was grateful to watch Smith, he wanted that extra coaching to instill discipline in his game, to learn the nuances of the offense, I use him as an example because there isn’t anyone more talented than Pat Mahomes..So just because the qb is really talented doesn’t mean throwing them out there is the right philosophy.

Imo, I thought he needed a complete restart this year, a complete rebuild of the talented prospect..don’t rush the process, why would anyone in this case, want to rush the process.

I think it makes sense. Miami opens with Baltimore and New England, with two super bowl contenders, with two of the best coaches in the NFL. Whether Miami starts Fitzpatrick or Rosen, the Dolphins are likely to be 0-2. Factor in a young, inexperienced Miami offensive line, and it makes sense to go with the veteran.

At 0-2, bringing in Rosen would lessen the pressure on the young quarterback. By then, fans will be calling for a change and will back him.

Of course, if Miami somehow wins one of those first two and Fitz is playing well then what do you do?
You continue to roll with Fitz, Let the teachings continue..there’s plenty of season left.

It’s pure BS.

Need to see what we have. Patience cannot happen. If he is bad we need to go all in on next years draft for a qb.

Every game Fitzpatrick starts is a wasted opportunity to see what we have or don’t have in Rosen. Looks at this point to be a wasted second rounder because he will be replaced next year.

It’s pure BS.

Need to see what we have. Patience cannot happen. If he is bad we need to go all in on next years draft for a qb.

Every game Fitzpatrick starts is a wasted opportunity to see what we have or don’t have in Rosen. Looks at this point to be a wasted second rounder because he will be replaced next year.
They’re professionals hopefully, they don’t need 16 games if the surrounding variables aren’t where they need to be, and the player has things still yet to learn schematically..

Since he came into league last year this is his third pro system he’s had to learn, can we give the kid a break and not put so much pressure on him to start for a desperate franchise..

Last edited:
Their professionals hopefully, they don’t need 16 games if the surrounding variables aren’t where they need to be, and the player has things still yet to learn schematically..

Since he cane into league last year this is his third pro system he’s had to learn, can we give the kid a break and not put so much pressure on him to start for a desperate franchise..

Don’t have time. The worst thing we can have is a “maybe” qb. We wasted 7 years on Tannehill because of that garbage.

Sink or swim. And if sink do everything needed to get the guy next draft. Trade the whole draft if need be. It’s that essential. No more half measures at qb. You’d think our fans would know this by this point.......

Don’t have time. The worst thing we can have is a “maybe” qb. We wasted 7 years on Tannehill because of that garbage.

Sink or swim. And if sink do everything needed to get the guy next draft. Trade the whole draft if need be. It’s that essential. No more half measures at qb. You’d think our fans would know this by this point.......
I do understand where you are coming from, you are preaching to the choir when it came to Tannehill, however this is a different prospect and situation, I think it’s important to take variables into account on this one, and just give him room to learn and regain his confidence..

The staff is supposed to develop players, that’s a head coaches trait that should be commended and valued, that’s what our head coach is thinking and I respect him for that, he isn’t the part of the franchise that is setting us up to be in position to draft high, that’s the front offices job, this is a 2nd round an prospect that shouldn’t be rushed just because we’re desperate to find out Qb savior..

Back
Top Bottom