How Miami Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Could Benefit From Waiting | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Could Benefit From Waiting

Starting the season is not the bar for Rosen's success or failure. Let Fitz start until this o-line is more of a known commodity. Maybe Flo feels that Rosen can learn a ton by watching Fitz start a few games. It can only help him once he takes the field. Remember Tom Brady was a backup until Drew Bledsoe got injured. Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre, Mahones didn't dive into the starting lineup right away so why does Rosen have to or he sucks and Grier is stupid? We haven't come close to seeing Rosen's ceiling with this team and noone, not Flores, not anyone can say for certain how the Rosen experiment will turn out. I'm seeing a lot to like in Rosen's game, so let's give him every chance to shine in the future.

Remember, Rosen had a tough first year and then got dumped by the Cardinals. The psyche is most important here and it would be a mistake to start Rosen and have him get annihilated. That's destroying your own #2 pick and possibly ending his career to devastating injury. I don't think that's what we want. Put him in when he's ready to command the offense at a high level. If that's game 3 or 4 who really cares? Right now Fitz can better protect himself against a fierce pass rush because he's still a bit quicker in the decision making. Rosen is closing the gap quickly. We still have 2 pre-season games so let's tap the brakes and see what transpires. Rosen can still be anything from a Hall Of Fame QB to a bust. No one knows but we're going to find out soon. We're in great shape, if we stink, as expected, we get a shot a another blue chip QB like Tua or Hebert. Rosen would have to turn into Marino for me to not draft a Tua etc. Let Tua and Rosen battle it out next year, it's better than Tannehill for God's sake so we're going in the right direction.

I was in the "start Rosen day 1" camp around here. I might have been the founder.

Now that we are halfway through preseason, with my own eyes, I see Rosen ahead of Fitzy in the QB competition (or even, at minimum).

Flores can tell the media whatever he wants, but if Rosen wins the competition (or is even with Fitz) and doesn't start game one, it is because he wants to see what we look like out there on the field before inserting him.

As BSQ said, the OLine is an unknown commodity. If Fitzy goes out there and gets slaughtered, so what? It wasn't Rosen.

It is my firm belief that as soon as Flores sees the offense in action, and it demonstrates that it can perform capably, Rosen will be in there.

He may come to that conclusion after tomorrow night's game.

Might Rosen benefit somehow from observing a game or two from the sideline? Probably.

But this has more to do with the team passing Flores' eyeball test under live action than it does with Rosen.

And I'm now okay with trusting that Flores will know when to put Rosen in, and when he is comfortable doing that.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You've obviously made something up in your head I wasn't saying.

All I was saying is Miami has him under contract for 3 years at a good price. Even if he doesn't start this year or does but not well enough to keep Miami from making QB #1 priority this off season there are a lot of ways this can play out.

Is that you Cleo?
Oh I though you meant if he played great and then they trade him is what I interpreted. If Rosen isn't good enough to be great there would be no point in wasting another year so I would want to get one next draft.

No one benefits from Rosen waiting. Either he shows he can be the man this season, or we need to draft a QB in next year’s QB deep draft. He needs to start as soon as possible and play at a high level. It may not be fair, but it’s the reality of the situation.

Why sit Rosen if he’s winning the QB competition? Those other QBs sat because the team had a better starting option in front of them.

This isn’t that, and rent is due for the Dolphins finding a Franchise QB. Seriously.

Why sit Rosen if he’s winning the QB competition? Those other QBs sat because the team had a better starting option in front of them.

This isn’t that, and rent is due for the Dolphins finding a Franchise QB. Seriously.

Like everyone else, all I have is my opinion. Mine? If Rosen is winning the competition IN THE EYES OF FLORES AND STAFF, he should start. The problem is no one knows Flores' opinion.

I don't quite get the inconsistency of some. RF is trash . . . a backup, . . . inconsistent. Yet, there's a danger he wins 4-5 of the 1st few games and blows the chance for Miami to get pick-a-name. Sadly, RF is a GOOD QB . . . for a few games. That's been is problem throughout his career. He's not inconsistent through A game, but over 4-6 games. If that is true, Flores will start RF to win a few of those 1st games. Thus, I see starting RF as evidence Flores WANTS to win as much as possible. OTOH, if he sees Rosen as the better QB and starts him game 1, it's, ummm, a sign he wants to win. I don't believe the delusion, er, mindset Rosen has to start game 1 or the evaluation has been done and Rosen sucks.

Listen, I believe he is outplaying Fitz, and should start week 1, but who cares if Fitz starts the Ravens game...In fact, having Fitz start week 1 may actually be good for Rosen in a few ways...

1. He gets to just watch and learn, without having to be in survival mode.

2. Allowing the O-line to get at least one more week together before Rosen comes in will be very beneficial to Rosen and his health once he does start.

3. Getting to continue to get used to the timing of all his receivers, without being worried of an opponent trying to take him out will help him in the end.

4. This is a new offense that he's learning, taking time to be able to function in it without thinking too much will help him get the ball out quicker.

No matter if Fitz starts or not, unless, he's on an epic run, and Miami is undefeated, Fitz should not be starting past game 3.

Maybe coach thinks he needs a lesson to improve his body language. Hand the job to him and that crap only gets worse.

Only the dysfunctional Dolphins would still be considering starting Fitz over Rosen.

Miami continues to be a joke.

I've been saying from Day One that this kid is shell-shocked from the OL beatings and coaching mismanagement in AZ, and that he needs to continue to decompress standing on the sideline with O'Shea, asking questions and watch Fitz eff up for a few games.
He started off gang-busters in AZ but then the team took its toll on him and he regressed.
As history tends to repeat itself, why not put him on the sidelines initially?

Which brings up a pet peeve. I've been on this board long enough to spot agenda-posting from a mile away! Those who are now making a mountain out of a molehill as far as Rosen not starting and getting pounded into oblivion are mostly butthurt that Rosen may put a crimp in their desire to draft yet another unproven college QB.

So everyone is entitled to voice their own opinions, as I am entitled to call some of them poppyc.ock!

from a health standpoint, i also see a benefit for Rosen in waiting.

looking at the bigger picture, it doesn't make any sense not to play him. there are not very many scenarios which could unfold. if Rosen plays poorly, Miami will have a very high draft pick and can draft a QB. if Rosen plays well, this team is still so bereft of overall talent, that they will have a very high draft pick and can draft a QB. if Rosen aces it and Miami wins a lot more games than anticipated considering the overall lack of talent, we have our QB in Rosen and don't need to draft a QB high.

I've been saying from Day One that this kid is shell-shocked from the OL beatings and coaching mismanagement in AZ, and that he needs to continue to decompress standing on the sideline with O'Shea, asking questions and watch Fitz eff up for a few games.
He started off gang-busters in AZ but then the team took its toll on him and he regressed.
As history tends to repeat itself, why not put him on the sidelines initially?

Which brings up a pet peeve. I've been on this board long enough to spot agenda-posting from a mile away! Those who are now making a mountain out of a molehill as far as Rosen not starting and getting pounded into oblivion are mostly butthurt that Rosen may put a crimp in their desire to draft yet another unproven college QB.

So everyone is entitled to voice their own opinions, as I am entitled to call some of them poppyc.ock!

I keep reading this "shell-shocked" perception and I'm not going to completely disagree. That OL was 'Dolphin' bad. That said, *IF* Rosen still has some weak areas Flo wants to beat out of Rosen, having RF start is a good way. Have rosen stand beside the QB coach. 'Did you see how Ryan handled the center after that bad snap?' 'Watch the way he acts after that bad route.' Let Rosen see a vet NFL QB in action. Let him see leadership and body language. Shell-shocked or not, almost all young QBs can gain a lot by 'watch and learn.'

the Dolphins made the Super Bowl in '82. there was a lot more talent on that team and no imminent need to play Marino.

the situation is entirely different now.

That's funny!

You don't think Shula played to WIN!?

If Marino had proven he was absolutely ready day 1 he would have started.

Truth is -- Dan greatly exceeded everyone's expectations when he took over.

But of course -- he was a once in every 50 years kinda player!

Bigger point is -- the "sink or swim" philosophy is more about desperation than

effectively managing and developing your key assets.

A lot of winning programs have been methodical regarding this core point.

And a lot of losing programs have been reckless with some players careers.

I don't think the org is in desperation mode. Tho obviously a lot of fans are.

My .02.

Last edited:
What I'm reading into it is the O-line is simply in shambles right now and they need to get that sorted to even get a proper assessment of Rosen. That isn't going to happen by Week 1, the way things are looking.

Flores can't just come out and say that. It would be perceived as unfair (especially by Rosen's agent) to sit a player based on the failures of another unit...or the coaching staff itself, if you want to point to the recent O-line coach firing.

I want Rosen out there as much as anyone as I was a big fan of the trade when it happened, but the guy is going to get decapitated week 1 behind this line. WORST case scenario at the QB position this season is Rosen getting hurt before they can even tell how good he is.

Back
Top Bottom