How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins

Parmalee played at Ball State and was an undrafted free agent (I could be wrong on whether he wasn't drafted).
Playing D1 ball helps.
Mare played at Syracuse, was on the Giants practice squad, was cut and signed with the Phins.
In regards to the NFL wannabe on this thread, April 1 is only a few days away.

jbond said:
All negative comments aside. It IS possible. And there is someone currently on our team who "walked on".....the leading scorer....try Olindo Mare.

It can be done.

Yeah guys make the jump from High school after 2 years of doing nothing to the NFL all the time.

By the way I love the example given.... a place kicker! That's friggin classic! :lol:
Besides the obvious problem with that comparison, Mare played college football and was already on the radar screens of NFL teams. Mare didn't just walk in off the street and say "howdy, I'd like a tryout!"
BIG DIFFERENCE.

holy bananas!! 6'1 380lbs. i think it may be physically impossible for you to be fast enough to play in the nfl. do you have a 40 time? there are very few people in the nfl that weigh that much, and the ones that are are 6'4 or taller. lj shelton is the dolphins heaviest load at 345lbs, and he's 6'6.

I'm not sure they do open practices anymore. I think they had open tryouts in the 70s with the practice squad. My highschool gym teacher used to boast that he walked on to an open steelers practice and made the top 10 (I think he said they chose 2) to go into the practice squad. he didn't make it. This is heresay, by the way.

PAFINFAN090 said:
holy bananas!! 6'1 380lbs. i think it may be physically impossible for you to be fast enough to play in the nfl. do you have a 40 time? there are very few people in the nfl that weigh that much, and the ones that are are 6'4 or taller. lj shelton is the dolphins heaviest load at 345lbs, and he's 6'6.

That's what I was thinking. That's a lot of weight for the height.

This thread LIVES on!

Dude, good luck to you. I agree you may want to drop 25lbs even before your search, but your two year plan likely entails that.

---
Funny story, I was at a U of Wisc basketball game one night, back in the day (Michael Finley years). I saw Barry Alvarez in the concession line, and walked up behind him. While in line, we got to chatting, and I inquired if he had any interest in a slow lanky white split end to walk on to the team. He started laughing, hard, right in my face. He said, no thanks, we've got plenty of those already! And my NFL dreams were flushed down the toilet. Or maybe it was when I played tennis year round instead of JV football. Either way, good luck to you. I did get to play Vincent Spadia in a match though, btw. And I trained at Bolleterris.

I wanna walk on too! I'm 6'6 325. Where do I sign up? Am I over the age limit to walk on though? I just turned 32!

LOL!

Sorry guys. NFL teams DO NOT HAVE OPEN TRYOUTS. Although I would like to go watch if they did. Isn't fox doing a reality show "Pro vs. Joe" or something like that.
Your best bet would be to try to play at a Jr College for 2 years and see how your plan is working. By then you should know if you can play with the big boys or not. My guess is no way..... but I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt. How come you weren't recruited by any colleges out of highschool. If you were above average in HS at least a few Jr Colleges should have been after you. Best of luck man, but I think you will be hit by lightning before you play a down in the NFL.

this intrigues me, so i researched. the nfl's heaviest player is aaron gibson from the cowboys (6'6, 410lbs). before he passed, the late korey stringer held the title in 1998 at 359lbs.

OK, I talked to my NFL source/player, and he said......... Yes it IS possible for someone to just tryout and make the team, BUT....... You basically have to know someone within the organization to get it done. Either that or have played some other type of sport beyond the highschool level, or be some type of celebrity, and you would nee some type of agent. He said the thing is while there is absolutely NOTHING to state that any person cannot just try out...... Actually getting noticed when you haven't played or been in any type of spotlight or don't somehow have a foot in the door is almost impossible. He said there are hundreds of guys out on the streets right now who culd, and have the talent to play in the NFL, but there are also Thousands upon THOUSANDS of other guys who do not have the talent but think they do. So nobody within the organization is going to waste their time trying out everybody who wants to or thinks they can play because even though they "could" end up finding a probowl talent they would probably have to go through 10,000 people to find that one player.

Brown42000 said:
Michael Lewis of the Saints was a beer truck driver and the next week was returning kickoffs, he made the Pro Bowl that year too. Yeah there are tryouts but not sure if every team holds them but with you being 6'1 380 pounds it won't be too difficult making an NFL roster.

Every time I think I've already read the one most moronic statement on this board....someone has to come along and prove me wrong....

That one belongs in the Dee-Dee_Dee knucklehead dumb-azz Hall of Fame..."won't be too difficult to make an NFL roster" WOW!!!:shakeno:

have you ever heard about the show on spike tv pros vs. joes...average people who think they have or had a shot at playing at the professional level get to play against the pros...you should try to get on

You're 21 why aren't you looking into playing for a JC and transferring to a University and going from there?

dolphan8055 said:
well thats teh thing i dont know...I have a tariner that specializes in football i only played highschool but am 6'1 380 pounds and am very evry strong i give myself 2 more years of strenth straining and then try to get a shot but i dont know any routes to take to get the tryouts going.but for those of you who are rooting for me if i make it ill get you guys tickets lol

6'1 380 pounds! I believe you are very strong! If your pro ball career doesn't work out, I can get you a job as a forklift. :D
Good luck, brother!

Back
Top Bottom