How Would Feeley Perform In Another System? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Feeley Perform In Another System?

all aj knew before last year was the west coast offense, which he ran at oregon and in philly, and he was never really joe montana in it either. god only knows what spielstedt was thinking. that move, along with the vernon carey draft trade debacle is what got him fired.

WE"LL find out soon enough! But at the same time, you can also ask about: Brian Griese and why he didn't thrive in our wak system. And not that he's soo good, but why did Ray Lucas play decently against us but play disgusting FOR us? Also, Jay Fiedler was torching us in the playoff game against us and looked great! HE never looked that good for us. IT was just a wimpy offensive system that hindered ANYONE's abilities. But that's all over now.

IMO Feeley would be up decent numbers if he was with another team with a great offense. The problem that we have been having is that every QB will look bad in our patheic offense that we had. Hopefully Lienhan will produce a great offense here and make our QB's play well.

PhiNomina said:
He's not a new QB, he has been in the league for 4-5 years. He isn't a rookie and shouldn't be treated like one. We are the only team I know that would consider our "QB of the future" to be a former 5th? round pick who sat the bench for 3 years and somehow vaulted him to 2nd round value. I hope he plays well because I want to see the team win of course...but at the same time I would rather have used that 2nd on a developmental QB that was younger and had proven more in college.

Nobody is treating him like a rookie. We just would like to see Feeley get a fair shot with a supportincast etc. When he did get that opportunity in Phily he showed that he can win. He didn't put up spectacular numbers for two resons, he didn't have to, and with those recievers no Qb could put up giant numbers.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick I beleive!

Yoda said:
A great system Philly had....... average numbers on that team AJ put up. A different team with a great system change nothing would.

Well if AJ was average than McNabb was a slow learner...

AJ had better numbers with Phili in his first 7 games than McNabb in his first 22 games.

AJ had a 79.3% QBR, a 6.87 YPA, and a 57% comp ratio, compared to McNabb's 72.9% QBR, 5.49 YPA, and a 55% comp ratio averaged between 1999 and 2000.

AJ stats in Phili showed that he could be be better than McNabb, maybe thats why so many Eagles fan wanted him to start. Needless to say, McNabb was a No 1# pick, and alot of money invested on him to start.

I think AJ can play up to his potential, will he show consistency? That's what I have in question, and not consistancy in throwing a pick for a TD either ;)...

Disnardo said:
Well if it AJ was average than McNabb was a slow learner...

AJ had better numbers with Phili in his first 7 games than McNabb in his first 22 games.

AJ had a 79.3% QBR, a 6.87 YPA, and a 57% comp ratio, compared to McNabb's 72.9% QBR, 5.49 YPA, and a 55% comp ratio averaged between 1999 and 2000.

AJ stats in Phili showed that he could be be better than McNabb, maybe thats why so many Eagles fan wanted him to start. Needless to say, McNabb was a No 1# pick, and alot of money invested on him to start.

I think AJ can play up to his potential, will he show consistency? That's what I have in question, and not consistancy in throwing a pick for a TD either ;)...

Very good post!

Another thing I would like to point out. Saban passed on a Qb with the 2nd overall pick and the entire Draft. :eek: . Even though Smith was gone, we were still in a position to deal with San Fran or trade down to get Rodgers. After reviewing film of Feeley I think Saban saw enough potential to build a supporting cast around him.

For all you people out there who use the excuss of the system, Oline, and bad supporting cast, was the reason AJ was not a starting caliber QB last year, I have one question for you. If AJ would have been that solid with a better system, Oline, and cast, does that mean Fielder would have been a probowler? Since Jay played in the early part of the year when the Oline played the worst, and he was still learning the system and he clearly outplayed AJ, (Check the stats) I guess that means all you AJ lovers must have cried when you realized the best QB was not going to be on the team this year.

If those excusses work for AJ, then why not for Jay? He played in the same system. Don't try and use the AJ is a rookie crap either. He's not, he is just a 3rd stringer with less talent, less mobility, who can throw a little better deepout, although never on target. Gus is our only hope to be a .500 team this year. Deal with it.:shakeno:

Trackstar said:
Another thing I would like to point out. Saban passed on a Qb with the 2nd overall pick and the entire Draft. :eek: . Even though Smith was gone, we were still in a position to deal with San Fran or trade down to get Rodgers. After reviewing film of Feeley I think Saban saw enough potential to build a supporting cast around him.

Yeah never heard that argument before :shakeno: . OR JUST MAYBE there were no QBs out there he thought could be a NFL starter. He has since even admitted to being interested in McPhersion but the Saints got him before we picked. Just b/c he didn't waste a pick on a long shot at QB does NOT mean he is sold on AJ. I would say he is much more interested in what Gus brings to the table as the short term answer. AJ is gone after this year, and I really doubt another team will pick him up as even a back up. You need to be able to think at the QB postion and he has shown that he can't.

I have been a Feeley supporter since I first heard his name mentioned in QB trade rumors. I hated the trade itself but I have always liked Feeley. He definatly has the raw tallent to be something special with other tallent around him. Hell, last year he was thrown into a new "system"(whatever the hell you want to call that debacle) with no supporting cast and he still looked pretty damn good the last few games of the season. Do not get me wrong, I am not comparing AJ Feeley to Dan Marino but alot of their attributes are the same. They both have great arms, great accuracy and both are shifty in the pocket.

TARHEEL38 said:
Yeah never heard that argument before :shakeno: . OR JUST MAYBE there were no QBs out there he thought could be a NFL starter. He has since even admitted to being interested in McPhersion but the Saints got him before we picked. Just b/c he didn't waste a pick on a long shot at QB does NOT mean he is sold on AJ. I would say he is much more interested in what Gus brings to the table as the short term answer. AJ is gone after this year, and I really doubt another team will pick him up as even a back up. You need to be able to think at the QB postion and he has shown that he can't.

I am not arguing about anything. I'm just pointing out the positives and the evidence that supports Feeley being a good QB in the future. There is no need for you to be rude about it. Fiedler is less talented than A.J period. Fiedler's throws were weak! He constantly missed the open reciever and made very poor decisions.

TARHEEL38 said:
For all you people out there who use the excuss of the system, Oline, and bad supporting cast, was the reason AJ was not a starting caliber QB last year, I have one question for you. If AJ would have been that solid with a better system, Oline, and cast, does that mean Fielder would have been a probowler? Since Jay played in the early part of the year when the Oline played the worst, and he was still learning the system and he clearly outplayed AJ, (Check the stats) I guess that means all you AJ lovers must have cried when you realized the best QB was not going to be on the team this year.

If those excusses work for AJ, then why not for Jay? He played in the same system. Don't try and use the AJ is a rookie crap either. He's not, he is just a 3rd stringer with less talent, less mobility, who can throw a little better deepout, although never on target. Gus is our only hope to be a .500 team this year. Deal with it.:shakeno:

Those excuses were used for Jay. But the bottom line is we were not winning enough with Jay under center(turning the ball over doesn't help). It's time to move on and get younger and more talent at the QB position.

Trackstar said:
Maybe Saban didn`t like what he saw in Rogers. I wouldn`t go as far as to say Saban sees enough potential in AJ to build a supporting cast around him. AJ`s gonna have a hard enough time beating out Frerotte.
As far as how AJ would fare in other systems...I don`t think he`d be anything but a backup on just about every team in the league, except ours.

Goin` Deep said:
Maybe Saban didn`t like what he saw in Rogers. I wouldn`t go as far as to say Saban sees enough potential in AJ to build a supporting cast around him. AJ`s gonna have a hard enough time beating out Frerotte.
As far as how AJ would fare in other systems...I don`t think he`d be anything but a backup on just about every team in the league, except ours.

True. I wonder how well he would have done if he was groomed properly from day one. I guess we will find out soon enough how high his ceiling is.

Back
Top Bottom