How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020?

He’d have to be lights out and clearly a franchise QB because anything less and you just can’t justify passing on Tua.

What we definitely can’t do is see him have a Tannehill-like season and then pass on one of the 2020 elite QBs hoping he continues to develop. Then we’re back where started with Tannehill. That’s the reason I didn’t want him in trade.
Anything short of franchise QB level performance from Rosen and you draft a QB in the first round next year. Not even a question.

Anything short of franchise QB level performance from Rosen and you draft a QB in the first round next year. Not even a question.
In theory, i agree, but that is a highly subjective requirement, particularly when there is questionable talent around him.

What I see, what you see, and, more importantly, what Flores and co see, may be three different things.

To be real Josh is in bad spot for former 1st rd pick. I don't know how this going play out...he need won at leased 6 to 8 games. Keep dolphins away from draft Tua. That one thing I know for facts...

In theory, i agree, but that is a highly subjective requirement, particularly when there is questionable talent around him.

What I see, what you see, and, more importantly, what Flores and co see, may be three different things.
Yeah I’m not playing around in gray areas anymore. We did that with Tannehill for far too long. He has to perform on an incredibly high level to bypass a QB next year. Period. I don’t care about the circumstances he’s in or anything else. We can’t afford to think like that anymore.

Certainly, but you cant really answer the OP without being subjective.

Yeah I’m not playing around in gray areas anymore. We did that with Tannehill for far too long. He has to perform on an incredibly high level to bypass a QB next year. Period. I don’t care about the circumstances he’s in or anything else. We can’t afford to think like that anymore.

Bummer. If that were the standard league-wide, do you know how many teams would be after a top QB next year?
Why not just come out and say you want Tua and no circumstances will change your mind?

That is an excellent point.

I'm not in favor of trading away our entire future of #1s for any QB, as there are no gaurantees that QB is the second coming of Marino.

I see many posters think Tua is a sure thing. That's false, as there are no "sure things" in life.

I would point out, though, that if we are picking in the 15-20 range, its a safe assumption that Rosen was incredibly successful, making the whole arguement moot.

Likely, but then again, we just won 6 games with the worst defense in Dolphins history and Ryan Tannehill.

So, maybe yes, maybe no.

Likely, but then again, we just won 6 games with the worst defense in Dolphins history and Ryan Tannehill.

So, maybe yes, maybe no.
And horrible coaching.

Tell me again, how did that happen if there is no talent on the roster?

We didn't really lose that much.

The only area we have lost significantly on D, is DE, and it wasnt a big irreplaceable loss.

Bummer. If that were the standard league-wide, do you know how many teams would be after a top QB next year?
Why not just come out and say you want Tua and no circumstances will change your mind?
Hey it is what it is. We can’t really afford to sit around and wait. The last thing you want is to think you’re totally convinced Rosen is the guy, you pass on the 2020 QB’s, and then Rosen regresses, or it turns out he wasn’t as good as you thought. You hedge your bets and get one of those QB’s anyway.

Hey it is what it is. We can’t really afford to sit around and wait. The last thing you want is to think you’re totally convinced Rosen is the guy, you pass on the 2020 QB’s, and then Rosen regresses, or it turns out he wasn’t as good as you thought. You hedge your bets and get one of those QB’s anyway.

Fair enough. If I read you right, Rosen "has to perform on an incredibly high level" to prove he's good, BUT what if "Rosen regresses?" So if Rosen's bad, get Tua. If he's incredible, he might regress, so get Tua. Just as I thought.

And horrible coaching.

Tell me again, how did that happen if there is no talent on the roster?

We didn't really lose that much.

The only area we have lost significantly on D, is DE, and it wasnt a big irreplaceable loss.

Exactly.

New coaches including a defensive mind that was the MVP of the Superbowl, and we basically lost Quinn & Wake from a pass rush squad that was non-existent to begin with.

Not to mention our WR Injuries....

Exactly.

New coaches including a defensive mind that was the MVP of the Superbowl, and we basically lost Quinn & Wake from a pass rush squad that was non-existent to begin with.

Not to mention our WR Injuries....
Well, we did lose a good, if not spectacular RT, but that's not an insurmountable issue either.

Last year I thought our lack of size at the WR position was a problem, and I still do, but I have confidence that O'shea will scheme them open far better than Gase. They are just so damn fast, and quick (no, they are not the same thing), that if they get a step on a defender, its 20 yds in the blink of an eye.

That high five on the way to the house last year was more awesome than the miracle, IMO.

How MANY NFL teams consistently draft pure BPA?
My estimation is …. none. But I'm in the minority .. and I never considered myself a pure BPA guy, unlike almost everyone else on this board. Sure, talent is extremely important. But, disregard for need is foolhardy. On many occasions I've posited that if every one of your 7 picks is BPA you might just draft 7 QB's, or 7 K's … which does not help build a team.

Still, the clear opportunities to point that are few and far between, so I'm taking this opportunity.

Last edited:
Fair enough. If I read you right, Rosen "has to perform on an incredibly high level" to prove he's good, BUT what if "Rosen regresses?" So if Rosen's bad, get Tua. If he's incredible, he might regress, so get Tua. Just as I thought.
Everyone who knows a shitload more about this stuff than I do says Tua projects to be a better QB in the NFL than Rosen.... so yes, if we can get Tua, I’d like to make that happen.

Back
Top Bottom