How Would You Change Things From Top To Bottom? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would You Change Things From Top To Bottom?

mrbunglez

TuaInDaPinkUnoInDaStink
Club Member
Reaction score
First off I’m not trying to start a firestorm and don’t care either way if the staff is overhauled or if they stay. I’m in the all for continuity stage right now, but if it changes oh well. Yes it’s been 3 years with nothing changed, but you can also say it’s ONLY been 3 years and they need more time to fix this mess.

With that said,

I would like to know what everyone’s choice would be if you had a chance to change things from top to bottom starting with Tannenbaum and work your way down to the players. A realistic approach on how you would think this regime needs to change.

I don't have much time to expound, but I've been envious of the Broncos and John Elway. Elway is passionate about his team. He will demand excellence. They've hit a rough patch, but they'll be good again sooner than us probably. I would keep the phone lines active with guys like Don Shula, Dan Marino, and even Peyton Manning. My goal wouldn't be to replace Adam Gase. No, instead, my goal would be to find someone who is both passionate about the Miami Dolphins and an excellent football guy. I say "football guy" because I'm not necessarily in the search for a coach, but I need somebody who knows the sport in-and-out and is just well connected and a great leader. I'm prone to wanting former great QBs to become head coaches, and that would be Dan Marino except he's got to want it and he needs to convince me of that.

So I would start there. I like someone of a HOF pedigree or at least is steeped in the aqua and orange (of old). The kind of guy who can step into a room and immediately has the respect of all the players. He would be committed to having only the best assistants under him. My opinion is Adam Gase is too consumed in the offense and the plays to see that the rest of his team, outside of special teams, is withering. We need this guy to be committed to having nothing short of the best assistants and to holding them accountable. I don't understand how the o-line coach last year was doing crack and the o-line has been so bad all this time. Gase has to have some sort of tunnel vision.

Anyway, this isn't a dump on Gase post. I think he's got some strong positives, but the young buck needs someone wise to tap him on the shoulder and show him everything that he's missing by holding such tight reins on the whole offensive playcalling. He's missing the rest of the world of coaching and must be seeing stars by now as this team bleeds out.

First off I’m not trying to start a firestorm and don’t care either way if the staff is overhauled or if they stay. I’m in the all for continuity stage right now, but if it changes oh well. Yes it’s been 3 years with nothing changed, but you can also say it’s ONLY been 3 years and they need more time to fix this mess.

With that said,

I would like to know what everyone’s choice would be if you had a chance to change things from top to bottom starting with Tannenbaum and work your way down to the players. A realistic approach on how you would think this regime needs to change.
I think you answered your own question......you do it from top to bottom. No more half ass like Ross always does. He needs a GM that knows how to build a team and let that GM pick his HC

I don't have much time to expound, but I've been envious of the Broncos and John Elway. Elway is passionate about his team. He will demand excellence. They've hit a rough patch, but they'll be good again sooner than us probably. I would keep the phone lines active with guys like Don Shula, Dan Marino, and even Peyton Manning. My goal wouldn't be to replace Adam Gase. No, instead, my goal would be to find someone who is both passionate about the Miami Dolphins and an excellent football guy. I say "football guy" because I'm not necessarily in the search for a coach, but I need somebody who knows the sport in-and-out and is just well connected and a great leader. I'm prone to wanting former great QBs to become head coaches, and that would be Dan Marino except he's got to want it and he needs to convince me of that.

So I would start there. I like someone of a HOF pedigree or at least is steeped in the aqua and orange (of old). The kind of guy who can step into a room and immediately has the respect of all the players. He would be committed to having only the best assistants under him. My opinion is Adam Gase is too consumed in the offense and the plays to see that the rest of his team, outside of special teams, is withering. We need this guy to be committed to having nothing short of the best assistants and to holding them accountable. I don't understand how the o-line coach last year was doing crack and the o-line has been so bad all this time. Gase has to have some sort of tunnel vision.

Anyway, this isn't a dump on Gase post. I think he's got some strong positives, but the young buck needs someone wise to tap him on the shoulder and show him everything that he's missing by holding such tight reins on the whole offensive playcalling. He's missing the rest of the world of coaching and must be seeing stars by now as this team bleeds out.
So kind of like how Parcells was with Sparano and Coughlin is in Jacksonville? That would prob be a good idea.

Yeah, I think that was a good start in the right direction with Parcells. The only caveat with that is Bill may not have ever been fully or emotionally invested in the Dolphins. Huizenga had a way of getting people to do things they wouldn't choose to do on their own. I think that's how Sabin and Parcells actually happened. I would rather find somebody who really wants to be here and is going to bring the right people with him.

I think Gase did a masterful job gathering his assistants when he was first hired because he ACTUALLY spent time on it. When Vance Joseph left, I kind of feel like Gase took Vance's recommendation of Burke and settled with it. I think he's starting to look over his shoulder now, but that decision has been so very costly...

Nice post man.

For me it's on simple mindset change, think long term and sacrifice the short term to get there. That means hiring the right folks and giving them time to turn it around, but be sure they recognise fast enough if they taken the wrong turn on the road, and not investing 7 years to see if someone was the answer and changing everything around him and still not having that answer.

Yeah, I think that was a good start in the right direction with Parcells. The only caveat with that is Bill may not have ever been fully or emotionally invested in the Dolphins. Huizenga had a way of getting people to do things they wouldn't choose to do on their own. I think that's how Sabin and Parcells actually happened. I would rather find somebody who really wants to be here and is going to bring the right people with him.

I think Gase did a masterful job gathering his assistants when he was first hired because he ACTUALLY spent time on it. When Vance Joseph left, I kind of feel like Gase took Vance's recommendation of Burke and settled with it. I think he's starting to look over his shoulder now, but that decision has been so very costly...

Manning is a great call, never thought of him before in that kind of capacity, he's such a smart football guy that I'm pretty sure he would be a huge success in any role where he has significant influence.

I dont know why I feel like this team is so close, when it isnt. The defense has its days, and the offense is an enigma, so much so that, apparently, not even Gase has mastered it.

I like our personnel more than ever this year, but I think we missed on our most recent picks at Linebackers. I think we continue to see teams pass it to tight ends, with fast RB's making a mockery of us because we have slow unathletic linebackers who get gashed in the middle of the field. They arent particularly strong, fast, or smart up to this point, I will give them time to progress but I definitely see huge red flags. We need to get them competition from free agents and maybe some rookies and UDFA's.

The DT's are as solid as they have been in a while but the defensive ends are trash. I love Wake but he may be done and we may need to get some new talent in here stat. I think letting Olivier Vernon hit FA maybe the reason why we have no young athletic cornerstone at bookend. Not saying we should have paid him though.

Do you guys know that Robert Quinn has 1 sack... which is the same amount of sacks that Cam Wake has, they are tied for the 2nd least sacks on the team with Walt Aiken. We absolutely must go hard at acquiring any Defensive End's in free agency and the draft as well. BUT we absolutely should not spend a first round pick on one though unless it is just the Best Player Available all the way.

The Dolphins must also consider top flight QB prospects in the draft. If we can get a good young QB in the first round of the draft to put to work behind RT and another veteran QB to push Tannehill, we would hedge our bets with Tannehill being our potential 3rd option.

We need another corner. Minkah is playing out of position and we are hindering our defense's true potential. We need to start Minkah at Free Safety and Jones at Strong safety. If anyone should have to play out of position it should be Mdonald who may be better as a linebacker than our actual linebackers. We literally have 2 Strong Safeties playing at the same time. If people cant see why this isnt good, then I imagine they dont understand why it is so easy to pass and run on us.

I see major red flags with our coaching staff. I like Gase but he definitely has his issues which may be hindering the team. His role needs to change, or they need to change the coach.

I like the players we have acquired lately but we need to start hitting more homeruns with our draft picks. The only homeruns these people have hit have been pitches that have been right down the middle... specifically the Tunsil and Fitzpatrick pick. What I like is that we have seen small acorns blossom to give fruit, like Jakeem Grant.

But the dud picks of Charles Harris, Cordrea Tankeresly, and Raekwon McMillan have not helped instill confidence to much degree.

Gase and Burke are too questionable in my opinion. These guys are ****ing enigmas. ****ing Burke... This guy and his wide 9 bullshit. Come on bro, scheme for your personnel or get someone who can. Run a multidimensional defense that can fit a 4-3 to 3-4 mold and adapt to what offenses are showing you. The guys are making great plays out there but I just dont think it is Burke's doing that is putting them in great position to succeed, but we are however leading the league in interceptions... and yet we still couldn't sack a mannequin in a closet if our lives depended on it. Is the defense broken? Is it fixed? Seriously, can he improve the sack totals or do we need better defensive ends?

Same thing with Gase? Is this guy a genius or megalomaniac narcissist? Is he changing the culture or is he ruling with an iron fist? Are his plays bad or are they good? We keep winning, we keep coming back in games when we are down, which is also due to the fact that we play so poorly at the beginning of the game, specifically play calling. I am beginning to think it is like a rope a dope strategy of letting them abuse us in the first half, by also not showing them any of our good plays, just so we can adapt at half time defensively, while tricking them into a phony game plan for the remainder of the game which we will use to trick them. That is on some maniacal genius/raging sociopath type level ****, I just dont think Gase is that dude, mostly cause that is a stupid ****ing strategy to employ.

Our defensive and offensive talent seems like it should be producing more than it is. It feels like the players are there but the coaches are limiting them. But why do we continue to roll Tory Mctyer out there to get burned... homeboy sucks... Bobby McCain is nickleback and should be played in the slot. He is not bad in coverage there but when he is out in the boundaries, he will only be able to hold for so long. These are PERSONNEL decisions that the coaches are not properly handling. The GM's get the talent, the coaches manage who starts. I put that all on Gase and Burke.

I hear you, illscriptures. However, I think it's amazing how having good coaches will cure a lot of the ailments on the field. I think Vance Joseph's departure set the defense back. Until that point, Adam Gase was on an upward trend. Unfortunately, I think that Gase will have to wait till the offseason to really right his mistake. I can't say whether he should be given another season. I prefer to think that any coach who is worth anything deserves more than a year to right things. Namely, teams suffer when decisions are made with only next season in mind.

Manning is a great call, never thought of him before in that kind of capacity, he's such a smart football guy that I'm pretty sure he would be a huge success in any role where he has significant influence.

He's been around the team so much lately...seems like it could be a very easy transition.

The problem with this team is consistency and that goes to having the right headcoach, quarterback, and defense.

As far as the headcoach, they need to hire a coach who has a history of success as a headcoach in winning, developing quarterbacks, playing strong defense, and assembling staff to do that. We do not have that.

As far as the quarterback, the FO must operate as a four-year business, because that is the contract. Every good quarterback delivers on the contract and earns the second contract. Meaning, during the four-year contract he delivers playoffs and gives you a chance to win it all. Otherwise he does not get the second contract. We did just the opposite, the FO extended a guy who failed to deliver.
Second, when they draft a QB, it cannot be Luke Falk or even Ryan Tannehill. It has to be a college quarterback whose college performance in last season matches up to Big Ben, to Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Mahomes, Newton, Goff. That way we knoe we are getting a QB who has a high chance to deliver on the contract, and not a guy who from the start requires a leap of faith.

And as far as the defense, if the headcoach is unable to get a premier DC, then as soon as the opportunity presents itself they have to jump on it, like Jim Schwartz, or some other HC who is DC and was fired. They cannot run a family atmosphere for the sake of a rosey workplace, it's a business, and they need to hire the best.

They are failing.

As I said on another thread, I would appeal to Belichick. I believe he is arrogant enough to want to prove that "his" system works without Brady. I believe he would love to take a cut at the Pats twice a year. I believe he brings excellence and credibility immediately. Free agents will want to sign here. We may hate to learn how to cheat well. Ross can pay him whatever he demands and then back off and let him have at it.

Rams
Falcons
Ravens
Packers
Steelers
Panthers
Saints
Vikings
Seahawks
Broncos
Jaguars
Chiefs
Giants
Eagles
Cardinals
Cowboys

These are all organizations that have built, rebuilt, and rebuilt again superbowl caliber rosters over and over again in the time that the Dolphins have failed to even build a roster that could win a playoff game. I'm probably even forgetting a few.

The problem the Dolphins have goes much deeper than players and coaches. It's just a really bad organization that doesn't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom