Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

So... You're paid, yes?

Thanks.
That's a silly arguement. Players on IR still get their full salary, unless they are released, at which time there is an injury settlement negotiation.

Last edited:
That's a silly arguement. Players on IR still get their full salary, unless tgey are released, at which time there is an injury settlement negotiation.
Seems you missed the point too.

He got hurt at work. The argument that he can't ask for a high paying contract because he previously got hurt is absurd for the above reason.

"I know you're overperforming relative to your co-workers who make more than you, but we can't pay you more because you got hurt last year doing your job and we ended up having to pay you anyway so we're getting some of that money back this way."

He's 27. Adding years or guaranteed salary isn't in our best interests. Absolutely nothing to gain from giving him a new contract, if he really is asking for another raise I agree w packaging him, Tua and #18 (that's 4 1sts right there) for Watson and just take Surtain at #3.

Get skill players in the second and FA.

Lol teams evaluate players on a year to to year basis every season. That’s why NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed. If a player is not performing, they can be cut with little to no penalty depended on structure of the deal, or strong armed into restructuring (with the threat of being cut)

The game is the game.
True.

One of my first posts on the subject, I said both sides play the game, and both sides know the rules.

Contracts have very specific wording and clauses. Both parties understand this, and sign it.

You don't get a do-over one year in, on a five year deal.

Howard has no guaranteed money left on this deal. Signed in 2019 and only two years were. He would have wanted a new deal regardless, any starter would.

He's 27. Adding years or guaranteed salary isn't in our best interests. Absolutely nothing to gain from giving him a new contract, if he really is asking for another raise I agree w packaging him, Tua and #18 (that's 4 1sts right there) for Watson and just take Surtain at #3.

A player with ball skills and instincts will age better than a pure athlete IMO, not that 27 is too old to give 2-3 more guaranteed years. He's like Asante Samuel.

Seems you missed the point too.

He got hurt at work. The argument that he can't ask for a high paying contract because he previously got hurt is absurd for the above reason.

"I know you're overperforming relative to your co-workers who make more than you, but we can't pay you more because you got hurt last year doing your job and we ended up having to pay you anyway so we're getting some of that money back this way."
You are comparing an hourly, or salaried, employee to a contract worker.

These players are not "employees" in the same sense as the general public. They are their own private corporate entity, with contractual obligations to another corporate entity.

Stop acting like it's the same thing as being employed by Walmart.

Howard has no guaranteed money left on this deal. Signed in 2019 and only two years were. He would have wanted a new deal regardless, any starter would.
Then he shouldn't have signed the deal.

The way you make it sound is as if he signed it in bad faith, never having any intention of fulfilling it.

That's even worse, IMO.

Last edited:
I honestly say keep him if the team can afford it but just make the contract back heavy or incentives heavy. I remember how badly it affected our D when Surtain was let go and went to the Chiefs. For opposing QBs all they had to do was look to the side without Madison and it was cake. After that the late 90s to early 2000s defensive talent eroded away. You can blame a lot of that crap on personnel decisions too.

Just imagine that effect in a much more pass heavy league... If its just a few more million a year I would do it to keep some continuity on a pretty strong defensive group. He was injured for some time before but he played all season this year at a DPOY candidate level. He is trying to earn his worth and then some I know. I know there's all the potential in the world from the picks we could recieve in a trade for the guy but, we know what we have in Xavien. Every year he's been in the league he makes plays. I wouldn't want to see the pass D falloff because we were being cheap to one of the best in the game.

You are comparing an hourly, or salaried, employee to a contract worker.

These players are not "employees" in the same sense as the general public. They are their own private corporate entity, with contractual obligations to another corporate entity.

Stop acting like it's the same thing as being employed by Walmart.
Have you ever done contract work? You contract the rate, not the total sum. If I do more than what you've initially asked me to do, I'm charging more money based on my time spent.

Howard overperformed relative to his contract's expectations and he's using the leverage to charge more.

The down side of that is, who is going to trade for him, knowing he is prepared to sit out, and wants a new contract?

Have you ever done contract work? You contract the rate, not the total sum. If I do more than what you've initially asked me to do, I'm charging more money based on my time spent.

Howard overperformed relative to his contract's expectations and he's using the leverage to charge more.
How did he do more than was originally asked? He was asked to play to the best of his ability, and he did.

If he wanted an incentive laden contract, he could have had one.

As I said twice now, and you know this also if you have done contracting at a high level, the wording is very specific. It has been picked apart by contract attorneys to account for any eventuality, and contingency.

It is not comparable to a GC building a house.

Then he shouldn't have signed the deal.

The way you make it sound is if if he signed it in bad faith, never having any intention of fulfilling it.

That's even worse, IMO.
Not at all. Nearly all NFL contracts are guaranteed money and then fluff. Players and agents generally only care about the guaranteed money, and when it's over, teams cut them or players ask for a renegotiation. Think of the non-guaranteed years as a "team option" like in the NBA. It gives teams the ability to retain the player but play with the contract. Maybe you extend them but front or back load it.

Back
Top Bottom