Howard's cryptic tweet | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's cryptic tweet

X was absolutely one of the best things about last season, but he's really pissing me off here.

That's great he had an awesome season, but ya know that's the thing about performance based jobs, you're there to perform.

X agreed to this salary (a quite generous one at that), and he did what he was SUPPOSED to do: have a good season. That doesn't suddenly give him the right to hold the team ransom.

Paying him more would set a dangerous precendent as the team builds a young and hungry roster. It would show guys that the terms of their deals don't mean anything if you perform at a high level. That's not what this regime is about. It's about building a team. Real team players often end up even restructuring their deals to make it work so they can stay with a building team.

For the first time in a very long time, I see us having real post-season potential, and I'd love for X to be a part of that with us, but if he can't check his ego, ship him off to some sorry ass team for a first rounder. We've had enough prima donnas over the years.

You're also not the one or two people in the world that can do what he does....
Fortunately for the Dolphins neither is he. Last I check you can win games with a player that’s not X!
See how that works?

The "it's all about me" personality trait helps X be a great corner but is annoying in a situation like this. He's got a nice contract with a lot of guaranteed money. I am happy for him. However, now is not the time to make demands that will hamstring our team salary cap-wise as the window for our Superbowl run is just beginning to open. I like X as a player. I wish he were more of a team player. It would be nice if he stayed on as a Dolphin, but it looks like that may not happen. I hope we can get a decent return for him in a trade. Best of luck to him going forward (when he's not playing the Dolphins).

I think we should go ahead and pay him. He deserves to be the highest paid corner on the team. That much is certain. This really isn't news to me, we've known his stance for quite some time now. It's just posturing to hammer home the point. Love X, want to see him on the roster. No line drawn here. Just pony up and pay him. Stop playing games and get his tail in the building before camp starts. Please.
So you don't care about his character off the field obviously if you love him.

I cant love people who hit women. Just a no go for me. Hes a football player, we can find other football players who don't whine about their million dollar deals and who arnt trash human beings who beat women.

X deserves exactly what he has.... a contract for millions of dollars to play a game 17 times a year.

I hate Howard, have for a while now. Hope we trade him today.

The fact that X is pushing for more money or a trade with 4 years left on an extension, in a year with a reduced salary cap due to covid, should be highly concerning to every team in the NFL. The guy wants more money because he is not sure his value will ever be higher than it currently is (history for CBs suggests this is likely).

I know people want us to trade him, but he seems to be doing everything he possibly can to tank his value. There are not a lot of teams who even have the cap space to sign their rookie class and eat his $13.5M contract this season. A trade would more than likely have to include a solid player or a salary dump contract.

The fact that X is pushing for more money or a trade with 4 years left on an extension, in a year with a reduced salary cap due to covid, should be highly concerning to every team in the NFL. The guy wants more money because he is not sure his value will ever be higher than it currently is (history for CBs suggests this is likely).

I know people want us to trade him, but he seems to be doing everything he possibly can to tank his value. There are not a lot of teams who even have the cap space to sign their rookie class and eat his $13.5M contract this season. A trade would more than likely have to include a solid player or a salary dump contract.
Exactly this.

Ppl that believe there is some big market, and that teams would give up substantial assets are delusional.

An aging player, with a highly suspect injury history, threatening to hold out, wanting a blockbuster contract with big, long term gaurantees, that also has questionable character, just isn't going to have other franchises lining up for his services.

Can anyone explain where I'm wrong here?

Last edited:
Exactly this.

Ppl that believe there is some big market, and that teams would give up substantial assets are delusional.

An aging player, with a highly suspect injury history, threatening to hold out, wanting a blockbuster contract with big, long term gaurantees, that also has questionable character, just isn't going to have other franchises lining up for his services.

Every year there are teams that believe they are 'one piece away.' Those teams are more likely to make a generous offer. The hurdle to jump is they have to have the cap space, be able to negotiate a contract, and take the risk of injury. For that reason, I don't think Miami can get a big haul for him. Call his agent. 'we can't get a trade offer we think is reasonable and our offer for a contract rework is on the table. Call us next summer.'

Exactly this.

Correct. In addition X is not part of the core Flo has assembled and for the most part reflects a different mindset (i.e., me first). Dude is a punk in many ways and obviously is OK with not honoring his word and commitment per the contract he signed.

The market for him is definitely limited but so is his leverage --- trade if possible (for at least a "reasonable" deal) or make him sit out and take his $$$.

Every year there are teams that believe they are 'one piece away.' Those teams are more likely to make a generous offer. The hurdle to jump is they have to have the cap space, be able to negotiate a contract, and take the risk of injury. For that reason, I don't think Miami can get a big haul for him. Call his agent. 'we can't get a trade offer we think is reasonable and our offer for a contract rework is on the table. Call us next summer.'
There are always (sometimes) those teams, but this is not even close to the same situation as a team "renting" a Prime Time Deion Sanders for a year or two as a FA.

Correct. In addition X is not part of the core Flo has assembled and for the most part reflects a different mindset (i.e., me first). Dude is a punk in many ways and obviously is OK with not honoring his word and commitment per the contract he signed.

The market for him is definitely limited but so is his leverage --- trade if possible (for at least a "reasonable" deal) or make him sit out and take his $$$.
Look at it this way. If he sits out, I believe that $ rolls over to next years cap number.

I would rather see that, than give him away, or even worse, he comes to camp and promply gets "injured".

I hate to see the worst case in ppl, but life experience has taught me anger drives ppl to do irrational, and spiteful things.

Back
Top Bottom