Howdy from Houston again | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howdy from Houston again

I dont know why this guy thinks that Henson is worth more then a 2nd pick next year. When even the Texans staff have said that is what they want for him. No way will they get a 1st this season for him. Maybe a 1st next year but not this draft no way no how not from anyone in the league. I would like to see what he could do in Miami but in a way I hate the guy. As a Michigan fan i knew that he had all the potential to be a great qb but then when he sold us out to go play baseball in Columbus after only 8 starts i hated him. Now i just dont know if i could become a fan again and have hope for him leading Miami to a Super Bowl. I believed that he could have led Michigan to a National Championship but instead we got a Freshman Navarre starting all our games that year.

Originally posted by zeke0123
Not to rain on the houston parade it was a good move to pick him up with a 6th rounder but you have to remember henson has most of the power in this deal he will not sign if he doesnt like the deal.If he likes certain teams those are the ones houston is going to have to deal with. hesnson "I cant stand greenbay and i dont want to play there" houston cant trade him to GB Houston should get signifacant(sp) compenstation for their sixth round pick last year but I doubt many teams are willing to part with a first considering the circumstances.

Whats up with this guy do you even read what's going on with the situation So far Hou is only rumored to want a second next year. You can't trade a guy for his value when he is holding all the cards and not you if you get to greedy Henson will tell you to go screw yourself and enter the draft. He may be worth a first put to get it do both Henson and Hou will have to give a little or you both end up screwed. I know you are smoking somthing or just don't know **it about the situation because you even thought would be nice to trade to ARZ at #3, what cloud are you on think that.

Consensus opinion coming out of Thursday's workout is that Drew Henson still has a bit of rust on him but that the University of Michigan quarterback demonstrated enough to whet the appetites of three or four teams. Nine of 75 passes hit the ground Thursday but Henson had very good arm strength, solid mechanics and undeniable poise. It's all but a given that some teams will request from Houston general manager Charlie Casserly the right to bring Henson in for a private workout. That said, don't look for trade talks to get serious until we get closer to the draft. Some teams feel the asking price for Henson will drop as the clock ticks down on the Texans' retention of his rights. Henson's situation must be resolved before noon on April 23 or he goes back into the '04 draft pool.

Originally posted by inFINSible
grid, the Miami coaches took drew out for dinner and the one thing they made a point to go over with him, is game situations...or how he would respond in certain game situations....the workout means that he can throw a football....i forget which GM it was but, one of them made a very astute statement concerning the relevance of his workout yesterday...he said, "there are alot of guys who can throw a football that tend bar for a living."

you can't escape the fact that he only played 8 college games and he hasn't played football in three years.....that is one he// of a learning gap....One that makes it a 99%* surety that he won't be of any help at all next season to whatever team gets him.....the way I figure Rivers has at least a 30%* chance of playing next year if we were to get him instead..

*-Percentage figures pulled out of my a$$ to make a point.:D

* .....Put it back, it's stinking the place up!:evil:

why do i have to keep repeating myself? read the whole thread before you run your mouth.

Henson will be traded, he doesnt want to enter the draft any more than houston wants him to. He also has the say in what team he goes to but chances are there will be more than one that he will be willing to play for, so its not like there will be no competition and we either trade him to a certain team or lose him. We also dont know every nuance of his contract, so, while henson has the final say in what team he goes to.. he is not pulling all the strings.. the Texan's front office wouldnt give that much power to him and risk getting a bad deal.

Reading comprehension.. in Texas we learn it in gradeschool.. whats wrong with those florida schools huh? Dan.. yah i said it would be nice for arizona to give us the #3.. i then pointed out that fans always want an awesome deal for their team.. no matter how unlikely it is. See.. that should have been your first clue that i didnt actually think that would happen.

Moving on. I would be alright with a #2 pick this season.. or even a #3 pick this season. after all we did only give a #6 for him. But it would still p*ss me off. why? cause we would be getting screwed.. the team who got henson would be getting a high quality young QB for a pittance.

Ive never seen Jamar Fletcher play.. or heard of him.. but that might be a nice deal too. he is about the same build as Aaron Glenn (our star) and is still pretty young with only 4 years in the NFL. We do need more CBs.

Maybe Ogenleye and Fletcher for Henson and our #2 or something to that effect :).

And btw.. yes, the rumor is that Casserly wants a #2 pick for Henson.. that is a #2 THIS YEAR..not next year.

we cant give a 2 we dont have one. Id agree to a 2 if we had it. a three this year and a three next year sounds about right to me with the three going to a 2 or 1 based on some numbers in the contract, like if hes the backup it goes to a 2 and a 1 if he starts more than 4 games something like that wouldnt piss me off.

Most of us here want a new QB and a lot of us are high on Rivers Id actually rather see pitt take him (henson) so it increases our chances of getting Rivers who when I think of him playing for us makes me all warm and tingly.

Originally posted by Grid
... Ive never seen Jamar Fletcher play.. or heard of him.. but that might be a nice deal too. he is about the same build as Aaron Glenn (our star) and is still pretty young with only 4 years in the NFL. We do need more CBs...

Well, I have to confess that I was stretching the truth abit when I said he was awesome. He has not developed as fast as we would have liked. We've tried him as the nickle corner...but that's not his thing.

Fletcher is not in Glenn's league yet...but, he could flourish in a different system. He does get beat deep sometimes...but, there are times when the safety has not done his job over the top.

Spielman should give you guys a fair deal. I don't expect to get as good of a deal as we did for JUNIOR last year with the 5th round conditional pick.

It's difficult to know what you could get for Henson at this juncture. Teams will wait and try to drive his value down. At the very least...the Henson pick should double it's value to a 3rd rounder. Some teams might try to offer it in 2005 because of Hensons sheer lack of experience. And at the QB position...there is no substitute for experience.

Just let him live in his little dilluded world. 2nd rounder next year, flat out, no more. He's a risk as it is, their coming out on top instead of losing, and wasting a 6th. If they can hoodwink someone into giving any more than a 2nd rounder more power to 'em, but my dolphins aren't stupid enough to make that trade.

why do i have to keep repeating myself? read the whole thread before you run your mouth.

Henson will be traded, he doesnt want to enter the draft any more than houston wants him to. He also has the say in what team he goes to but chances are there will be more than one that he will be willing to play for, so its not like there will be no competition and we either trade him to a certain team or lose him. We also dont know every nuance of his contract, so, while henson has the final say in what team he goes to.. he is not pulling all the strings.. the Texan's front office wouldnt give that much power to him and risk getting a bad deal.

Reading comprehension.. in Texas we learn it in gradeschool.. whats wrong with those florida schools huh? Dan.. yah i said it would be nice for arizona to give us the #3.. i then pointed out that fans always want an awesome deal for their team.. no matter how unlikely it is. See.. that should have been your first clue that i didnt actually think that would happen.

Moving on. I would be alright with a #2 pick this season.. or even a #3 pick this season. after all we did only give a #6 for him. But it would still p*ss me off. why? cause we would be getting screwed.. the team who got henson would be getting a high quality young QB for a pittance.

Ive never seen Jamar Fletcher play.. or heard of him.. but that might be a nice deal too. he is about the same build as Aaron Glenn (our star) and is still pretty young with only 4 years in the NFL. We do need more CBs.

Maybe Ogenleye and Fletcher for Henson and our #2 or something to that effect :).

And btw.. yes, the rumor is that Casserly wants a #2 pick for Henson.. that is a #2 THIS YEAR..not next year.

come on now, lets not get touchy & start to attack ppl becuz they dont agree with you. we all know how to read. if u want to talk smack then take it to smack forum.

ahem

"I know you are smoking somthing or just don't know **it about the situation because you even thought would be nice to trade to ARZ at #3, what cloud are you on think that."

thats what I was responding too.

I dunno why yall are so dead set against a 1st round pick for the guy. I mean, i could understand if you were saying "I wont spend a 1st rounder on him till i know more about him".. but most of you are just flat out against spending a 1st round pick on him.. yet you are willing to spend it on Rivers.. a QB of comparable skills???? I understand that Rivers has more experience and all, and is perceived as less of a risk.. but still... he is far from a sure thing.. if anything i think its a stretch for you to think he will be available to you at #20 when you consider how many old retiring QBs there are out there right now.

What if GB traded us a 2nd rounder for henson tommorrow? yall would be stuck in the same boat.. with a #20 pick and a very slim chance that Rivers will be available to you in the 1st.

I aint saying he is worth a first rounder and there are no ifs ands or buts about it.. After all we only know that he has the arm and the accuracy at this point.. but id think that some of you would be a bit more receptive to the notion that you could get a promising young QB without taking the risk of the draft.

*shrug* time will tell i guess :). Will be interesting to see what is being said after the combine.. I wonder if Henson may edge out Rivers as the more promising QB.

I feel Rivers can start his 1st yr but im not so sure about Henson. He has been out of football for 3 yrs & has to condition his body to handle the hits & everything else that comes with football. We know his arm & accuracy but like u said about Rivers. Henson isnt a sure thing either. nothing is for sure in the NFL.

you are right that Rivers might not be there for us at #20 esp when his stock is rising, thats why i stated before i wouldnt mind trading for Henson if we cant trade up or know for sure we cant get Rivers. I wouldnt mind us trading next yrs 2nd pick & possible turn it into a 1st if certain conditions are met.

another scenario for us getting Henson instead of Rivers is OGUN signing elsewhere & we getting 2 1st & maybe 2 3rds. Those picks could really help us this yr & we can always worry about next yrs pick next yr.

so many possibilities in a short period of time.

ahem

"I know you are smoking somthing or just don't know **it about the situation because you even thought would be nice to trade to ARZ at #3, what cloud are you on think that."

thats what I was responding too.

I dunno why yall are so dead set against a 1st round pick for the guy. I mean, i could understand if you were saying "I wont spend a 1st rounder on him till i know more about him".. but most of you are just flat out against spending a 1st round pick on him.. yet you are willing to spend it on Rivers.. a QB of comparable skills???? I understand that Rivers has more experience and all, and is perceived as less of a risk.. but still... he is far from a sure thing.. if anything i think its a stretch for you to think he will be available to you at #20 when you consider how many old retiring QBs there are out there right now.

What if GB traded us a 2nd rounder for henson tommorrow? yall would be stuck in the same boat.. with a #20 pick and a very slim chance that Rivers will be available to you in the 1st.

I aint saying he is worth a first rounder and there are no ifs ands or buts about it.. After all we only know that he has the arm and the accuracy at this point.. but id think that some of you would be a bit more receptive to the notion that you could get a promising young QB without taking the risk of the draft.

*shrug* time will tell i guess :). Will be interesting to see what is being said after the combine.. I wonder if Henson may edge out Rivers as the more promising QB.

Ok!..OKGrid!...Upntil that lengthy diatribe I've gotta confess, I wasn't so keen on the sceneros you presented.. but your powers of persuasion have won me over. I'm ready to sign the damn papers, I'll give the 1st & 3rd you silver tongued devil you. Just name the place, my only stipulation...you buy the burgers.

Grid......

Rivers- 13,484 Passing yards in 4 years (2nd most in NCAA history)
- 74% completion rating
- FIFTY ONE CAREER STARTS AS QB NCAA RECORD Threw for at LEAST 100 yards in each game
- 3 3,000 yard seasons
- 34 TD 7 int
- ACC player of the year

- Tangerine bowl. 300+ yards, FIVE TD's in THREE quarters
- Senior bowl 200+ yards, and two TD"s in TWO quarters

And Henson?....ALL we have are reports that he's physically a good QB. That's IT. EIGHT starts in his life outside of HS. That shows NO consistency, he's been out of the game for THREE years. You can have the best arm in the world, but if you don't know the flow of the game, and how to read defenses, your not going to make it.

Long story short, Rivers is WORTH a first rounder, Henson is not. Be happy IF you get a 2nd.

I thought I'd throw in a few counterpoints regarding drew henson.

--It seems some have latched on to the fact that Henson only started 8 games as a reason why Henson shouldn't be considered a first round choice.

Had henson come out his junior year (even after starting only 8 games) I believe it was the consensus that he would have been selected in the top half of the first round, with many speculating that he would have been towards the very top of his draft class. My point being that henson is no more of an unknown now then he was when many scouts were projecting he would go high in the first.

Also, those who are saying that Henson only played in 8 college games are incorrect. As a sophmore Henson challenged senior Tom Brady for the starting quarterback job, so much so that he and Brady split the position in several games that season. In the end, the michigan coaches chose the greater respect Brady had earned with the upper-classmen, over young Henson's greater athleticism and (perceived) potential. Point being that while henson started only 8 games, he did have more playing time then that number suggests.

--If both Phillip Rivers and the 2001 version of Drew Henson (having left michigan as an underclassmen) were in the same draft, I think that most scouts would tell you that Henson would go well above Rivers. Assuming you subscribe to that, then you can say that Rivers may start sooner then Henson, but I don't think it's valid to say that in the long-term Rivers is more probable to be a high-caliber franchise quarterback then Drew.

--Final point: It is generally agreed upon that a 2005 2nd rd pick has a value of a 2004 3rd round pick. (2005 1st = 2004 2nd, etc. etc.) So those 'offering' a 2005 2nd are offering the same value as a 2004 3rd round pick. In my opinion, if Henson returns to the draft he never sees the second round let alone the 3rd. According to the well-respected draft site gbnreport.com henson rates as the 13th most valuable player in the 2004 draft. It seems that his value is well above that of a third round draft pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom