*** Hurricane Recruiting News *** | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Hurricane Recruiting News ***

My fault on Debose. I heard from about 5 different sites that was true and I belived it, however I heard from a reliable source that he may come to Mia when Ray Ray comes. The reliable source says he feels DeBose is 50 50 between Mia and Fla. Says that Debose called the coaches a couple days ago and was saying he wasnt sure about Fla. Another source said Randle is going to LSU and its a lock.

On Rivals it says the Offensive Coordinator is coming to an end but the canes might have to replace Young on the Defensive side. Anybody know about that?

spacer1-1.gif
The Hurricanes are undergoing a high-profile search for an offensive coordinator.

And now, CaneSport has learned, that search may in the near future also include finding a new defensive coordinator.

Oklahoma State, whose athletic department is heavily backed by oil magnate Boone Pickens, has offered Young $700,000 a year to leave the Hurricanes and become the Cowboys defensive coordinator. That is believed to be double his present salary at Miami.

This would not be good news. The article goes on to say that Young really loves working at Miami and the "near-term" potential of the Miami program returning to national prominence is a draw. I really don't see why he would leave Kansas to come to Miami only to stay for a year and go back to the midwest. The 700k is nice, but I thought part of the reason he came to Miami was the athletes were physically superior to what he was coaching at Kansas. I would have to believe that statement is true regarding Oklahoma State as well. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself it's true.

spacer1-1.gif
The Hurricanes are undergoing a high-profile search for an offensive coordinator.

And now, CaneSport has learned, that search may in the near future also include finding a new defensive coordinator.

Oklahoma State, whose athletic department is heavily backed by oil magnate Boone Pickens, has offered Young $700,000 a year to leave the Hurricanes and become the Cowboys defensive coordinator. That is believed to be double his present salary at Miami.

This would not be good news. The article goes on to say that Young really loves working at Miami and the "near-term" potential of the Miami program returning to national prominence is a draw. I really don't see why he would leave Kansas to come to Miami only to stay for a year and go back to the midwest. The 700k is nice, but I thought part of the reason he came to Miami was the athletes were physically superior to what he was coaching at Kansas. I would have to believe that statement is true regarding Oklahoma State as well. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself it's true.

Yeah Bill Young is an older guy, I imagine he doesn't want to be doing a whole lot of moving around every year. Sometimes lifestyle is more important than salary. Hopefully we can give him a competitive raise to entice him to stay.
Further, if he wants to win - Miami has to be the place for him. I can feel that we are at the cusp of greatness within the next two years - whereas Ok. State has to continually fight with Oklahoma and Texas every year for recruits and Big 12 standing. Then of course, Texas Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, and the Kansas team he helped build are all striving to be top programs as well. I think it will be much more difficult for Ok. State to get to the BCS than Miami, because of the talent deficiency. Ok. State just doesn't really seem like a good opportunity for a guy like Young, who I'm sure wants to win. But I guess that's why they had to offer him such a large salary.

I don't think this is as severe as it sounds. I'll go ahead and say that Oklahoma State offering $700,000 is asinine as best. That ain't gonna happen. I don't care what T. Boone Pickens says. We're talking about a University that is in the hole financially after the trust fund mix up that was supposed to fund the building of their new stadium. Oklahoma State's highest paid assistant coach doesn't even make $350k. We're talking about double that for the Cowboys to land Coach Young.

Now, I'm not saying that Bill Young, who is 61 and an Alum of Oklahoma State, doesn't interview and doesn't consider the position with his alma mater. But I think some have gone into bit of panic mode prematurely. But for now, Coach Young is only a candidate. He hasn't be offered anything and he hasn't even interviewed for this position.

But man would this be a kick in the nuts. If we empty our pockets for an Offensive Coordinator and Young bolts, we'd be left with scraps to replace him. However, we have a great up-and-coming defense full of potential and simply needs a bit of coaching.

It's really too early in this circus for anything to have any real teeth but I'll see what I can dig up over the next few days.

My thoughts are this:

Bryce Brown is the prized the recruit. By having his brother, we'd have to do something AWFUL to lose him. Shannon has been on a quest to hire an NFL-type individual capable of running a pro-style offense. For a kid like Bryce Brown, he would benefit greatly from that style of offense. The pro-style offense primarily features the power I-Form and the running back is the primary focal point. That's what is driving Bryce Brown to have such a fondness of Oregon. The entire offense goes thru the running back. Bryce Brown will understand his role under the new Offensive Coordinator and I think in the end he comes without question. If Shannon was dead set on the Spread offense, whether or not Bryce Brown came or not really wouldn't matter to me personally because the offense would not be focused on the running back. Lamar Miller, Mike James, Graig Cooper, Javarris James, Lee Chambers...any of those would suffice in the Spread. But with the pro-style, Bryce Brown is a crucial, crucial piece to this class. Randy understands this and will close this deal.

You don't think Lamar Miller could be that guy in a pro-style offense? I think Bryce is crucial too - it would give us more flexibility to use Miller and James as weapons out of the backfield. Either way - you have to be real excited about this team and the playmakers they are bringing in. With Bryce, Javarris, and Coop in the backfield next year - and all of those receivers - Jacory's going to have a lot of options.

I thought we were blowing this out of proportion until I read he was born in Oklahoma City and an alum of OK. State.....for a guy that is 61, this may be a draw to go someplace and finish his career where it all got started.

That being said, the athletes and talent at Miami will be tough to leave.

Its official, Young has left for Oklahoma State. U gotta be kidding me. I wonder if this is going to effect any of our recruits.

As for recruiting, don't expect Young's departure to affect it much, if at all. While opposing programs may try to paint a picture of instability, Young was hardly involved in the recruiting process with kids at all. In fact, I spoke to cornerback Prince Kent moments ago who told me he hadn't even met Young or spoken to him before. Kent will be one of four commitments and 10 recruits visiting UM this coming weekend.

"I'm for whatever coach Shannon does," Kent said. "I know he's going to lead our team in the right direction, no matter what's going on. He's going to keep the team focused. He's setting high goals and he knows what this team is capable of. I'm sure coach Young was a good guy. But he's not why I wanted to come to UM."

Not sure what candidates he has in mind......but, being a dreamer, I say Tommy Tubberville. I know there is probably a less than 0 chance this happens but I can hope. What are the thoughts about possibly a Michael Barrow / Clint Hurtt co-defensive coordinators combo?

Any new news on the OC hire? The Herald says Mark Whipple is high on the list.

The above quote is from the Miami Herald, by the way.

As for recruiting, don't expect Young's departure to affect it much, if at all. While opposing programs may try to paint a picture of instability, Young was hardly involved in the recruiting process with kids at all. In fact, I spoke to cornerback Prince Kent moments ago who told me he hadn't even met Young or spoken to him before. Kent will be one of four commitments and 10 recruits visiting UM this coming weekend.

"I'm for whatever coach Shannon does," Kent said. "I know he's going to lead our team in the right direction, no matter what's going on. He's going to keep the team focused. He's setting high goals and he knows what this team is capable of. I'm sure coach Young was a good guy. But he's not why I wanted to come to UM."

Not sure what candidates he has in mind......but, being a dreamer, I say Tommy Tubberville. I know there is probably a less than 0 chance this happens but I can hope. What are the thoughts about possibly a Michael Barrow / Clint Hurtt co-defensive coordinators combo?

Any new news on the OC hire? The Herald says Mark Whipple is high on the list.

The above quote is from the Miami Herald, by the way.

Miami can't pay anywhere near enough to get Tommy out of the booth and coaching this year.

I seriously do not know what to say lol. I am a bit surprised at how fast all of this has happened but it is what it is and we're simply going to have to deal with it. I don't have any candidate names yet but I'm hearing the Defensive Coordinator at Georgia is a strong possibility early. Yes, Mark Whipple is high on the list of possible Offensive Coordinators but from my understanding, Shannon already has his guy and I'm pretty sure we will find out something tomorrow, or at the very latest on Thursday is my guess. I know that Steve Logan is still in the mix, Chuck Long, and possibly Mike Kruczek. I'm also hearing McNulty from Rutgers. We've definitely been kicked in the teeth today, though.

I think Willie Martinez is getting a bad reputation for only one year of a struggling defense. I am looking for the stats, but I believe his defenses from 2005-2007 ranked in the top 10 nationally. Last year's GA team was severely over rated and thus caused people to blame Willie Martinez for the struggles. I just don't think the players he had this last year were that good. If he is willing to come, I'd love it.

When is Rondy Shanzook expected to name his OC?

Believe me, I am waiting to hear something very very soon. Hopefully today. I can't guarantee anything at this point. I said it would be announced this week because that's what I was told. I'm still expecting to hear it soon. Shannon is really smoke screening some guys it seems.

Believe me, I am waiting to hear something very very soon. Hopefully today. I can't guarantee anything at this point. I said it would be announced this week because that's what I was told. I'm still expecting to hear it soon. Shannon is really smoke screening some guys it seems.

The Herald says it's still Mark Whipple that Randy really wants. The rumors about Langsdorf from Oregon State are apparently not true:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/2009/01/not_so_fast_my_friend_its_news.html

"The story never was real,'' said Riley, shooting down the message boarders with five words.
"I've been with Danny since Monday, driving around Texas and Oklahoma. ... Danny doesn't know (UM coach) Randy Shannon, he's never been contacted by anyone from the school."

RS is playing this close to the vest for one of two reasons:

1. He IS being really thorough and wants to make sure he gets the right guy.

2. Everybody is turning him down and he has to settle yet again for an OC that is not his first choice.

I have a bad feeling #2 is correct.

Back
Top Bottom