Hyde: Dolphins Did All They Wanted This Offseason — But Will It Work?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jun 14, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]

It’s good vibes, and typically only good vibes, this time of year as NFL teams take their summer break. Everyone’s happy. Everything’s working. Ryan Tannehill looks his best ever. Laremy Tunsil is ready for left tackle. DeVante Parker will answer the pesky critics.

Extend that feel-good over every team and you get the idea. But there are two truths that have alternately buoyed and frustrated this Dolphins regime right through Thursday’s final practice until July’s training camp:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-dolphins-summer-20180614-story.html

2. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I guess time will tell. I'm hoping for the best like I always do but the team has to do it out on the field.

Ray R and jnozag like this.
  3. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

Wow this is big news and unique to only the Miami Dolphins. Thank you Hyde!

Agua, Digital and joenhre like this.
  4. chuck dezl

chuck dezl clark griswald Finheaven VIP

Ok, enough of Hyde, I'm ready for Jekyll to write something

5. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Finally, we've started assembling the pieces. So many years we were missing basic pieces, like a TE, or starting OL, or a Mike, or a FS, or a 2nd top pass rusher. This year we added Gesicki in the passing game and Smythe in the blocking game, neither piece we really had in the last few years. We added Sitton, the first top quality guard we've had since we pushed Incognito out the door. Raekwon McMillan looks to be the flat out answer at Mike. Minkah Fitzpatrick gives us a piece we have lacked forever, and whether we use him as a lock-down Dime or as a single high FS, he looks to be an excellent addition and a cornerstone leader that we need. With Quinn, we have that 2nd pass rusher.

This year we do not have the glaring holes we typically have this time of year. Injuries? Yeah, big "if" there, but we look slightly better prepared for injuries than in past years.

Regardless, our team has the capacity to change things up. We can finally play 4 WR's, or 2 TE's and have quality players either way. We can go super-speed with Grant, Stills, Albert and Gesicki(TE)/Parker(WR). We can go big with Smythe, Gesicki, Parker and Ballage. We can go max protect with Smythe, Ballage and Young. Options. We didn't have them in years past.

On defense, we can go nickel (425) with 3 CB's (Howard, McCain[Slot], and Tankersley/Lippett), or Dime (336) with 4 CB's (same guys plus Fitzpatrick as the Dime and TJ McDonald as the second Safety). We can play old school 43 with Allen at Sam or coverage 43 with Baker at Sam, we can go wide 9 with Quinn/Harris/Branch on one side and Hayes/Wake on the other, or we can go speed package and push Hayes inside to DT. We have fast LB's everywhere with Kiko being fast, Allen being fast, Anthony being fast, Poling being fast, and Baker the fastest of the bunch.

For the past few years, we've really not had a lot of options. This team offers the chance to adapt our personnel and game plan to exploit our opponents weaknesses and neutralize their strengths, better than we've had in recent memory. If we can use that adaptability, the outlook for this season looks bright.

6. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Their doing or their undoing. 5x fast.

7. Russ57

Russ57 Well-Known Member

I also think we will be better than predicted. As long as the Patriots are who they are wildcard seems the only way in and that is tough. So I’m not in the playoffs or blow the team up crowd.

Moves I’d like to see going forward:
    1) Draft a true #1 WR type.
    2) Draft a big and fast LB’er, like a Ray Lewis type.
    3) Draft a DT.
    4) Look to attract a top tier DC who fits with the current talent, coaches, and overall team philosophy.

Assuming what we have done so far works these small additions might let us challenge the Patriots.

8. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that if the Sun Sentinel went out of business and fired all their reporters, then we took those media credentials and gave them to a few of the posters here that the quality of information about the Dolphins would be tremendously improved.

fishfanmiami, Agua, Digital and 3 others like this.
  9. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

That was a very lazy article to write imo. There was nothing in there that we didn't already know. The team made massive changes. Of course, it's on the FO and the Head Coach. But, the underlying thing is that he doesn't think we're any good at all. Who needs him. He jump right on board when we come out 6-2.

lurking, joenhre and Superself like this.
  10. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

That's actually a pretty fair and balanced article. That's what I absolutely love abut this year's team. Nobody knows what they're going to do.

But things look damn encouraging thus far.

JAKEIII and russst like this.
  11. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

When did Hyde become such an assclown? Or was I just previously oblivious?

Agua, Superself and joenhre like this.
  12. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Hyde has been hanging out with Omar too much. It is really starting to show in the quality of his work.

miamiron likes this.
  13. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

the core question of the article is viable -- will it work? However, overstating the obvious is not especially interesting journalism.

Dave is getting old and probably burnt -- so he's hanging on writing some fluff and attempting to remain at least marginally vital.

tazthenomad and Superself like this.
  14. Bowzer

Bowzer Active Member

How do these idiots get their jobs? This article is the worst

15. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

We should be hapoy that the narrative is different this year.

I don't remember a time being this excited to see so many players going into their 1st-4th seasons.

Our season hinges on one thing, we all know what it is at this point. No matter how the QB situation unfolds long term their is a good amount of talent age 26 and under.

If enough guys emerge this season sky's the limit with a healthy 17.

This sport is a what have you done lately sport. You gotta prove yourself every year. Adam Gase is certainly ready to let everyone know what he's capable of.

Alot of guys on this team are in prove it or reprove it mode. I like that.

joenhre likes this.
  16. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Anyone just catch that segement on NFL live about Tannehill and the Dolphins?

Same ole same ole, Landry and Suh talk.

This Josina Anderson completely dismisses Drake but makes Ajayi seem like he's an all pro.

17. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

"When the Dolphins return in late July for training camp and the official start of the 2018 season, it will be with the constructed team this regime wanted. You see what they did. You see why they did it. And, again, this will be their doing or undoing."

Man if i haven't read something similar to this over the last 10 years multiple times.

This isn't the first time writers have mentioned Ross wanting Lamar Jackson. If Lamar Jackson ends up having a great year in Baltimore I don't think Ross is going to be too happy if we also don't have a great season.

I hope Ross expects big things this year; I would be tired of hearing year after year about acquiring pieces and building towards something and not getting any return. He's been hearing it for almost 10 years now.

Personally i expect a playoff win if Tannehill is healthy throughout the year.

18. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I thought he was Jekyll.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  19. Ray R

Considering how badly we beat the Patriots last year and the team we beat them with, there is NO REASON we can't beat them two games this year. NONE! I believe we have past the tripping point of being almost pretty good. I think we should will be killing teams offensively this season and keep them from killing us defensively. Get ready for the playoffs and get ready to watch the media choke on our success during this playoff season. My prediction is the media talking heads will be saying "where did this team come from all of a sudden". The correct answer is that we have been coming for the last two years, but the medias myopic evaluations coupled with their ratings biased analysis prevented them from seeing this.

20. Agua

Agua Fighting the media, one lie at a time

"Journalism"

Ray R likes this.
  21. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I feel pretty strongly that there's more talent coming into the building than left the building. The biggest loss, though, is also the biggest question mark. Suh demanded double teams and still produced. His salary purge enabled the team to get some other players and hopefully that will work out, but I wonder about the run defense. IMHO, the defense is build to play with a lead.

My hope is that finally the offense will be able to get some leads. I absolutely loved the Gesicki pick. I know he's had mixed reviews in early training camp, but I think he will really help the offense especially in the redzone where he's a huge mismatch problem. The offensive line should be at least a bit above NFL average. There's a lot of speed with the addition of Wilson and with players like Drake, Stills and Grant. No reason the offense shouldn't be at least a little above average.

I really think a lot will hinge on getting a fast start and winning a couple of early games.

22. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Let me start by saying the Gesiki pick was wanted, warranted and long over due.

But what expectations are you expecting from him year 1?

I thought this draft was more about the out years, not necessarily 2018.

jnozag likes this.
  23. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

We won't beat the Patriots when in matters. When we need a crucial win, we flounder. That has been the calling card of the team for years, unclutch. They can look good when it doesn't matter, when the game is already over or the season is already lost. We can't convert a crucial third down at the end of an important game. We can't get our defense off the field when we need just one stop to win a game that has playoff implications for us.

Spiff likes this.
  24. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Fitzpatrick and Gesicki seem like immediate impacts to me

realistically speaking you will get 5 TDs from Gesicki. I think he'll get more personally

Ray R likes this.
  25. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

5 is usually high for rookie TEs in general, but when you look at Landry's TDs last season, I see no reason why Gase couldnt scheme open a bigger faster receiver who can litterally go up and grab a pass 10 feet up in the air...

fishfanmiami and Ray R like this.
  26. Ray R

Beating the pats always matters!

27. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

The defenses under Coyle, Joseph, and Burke have all been described as built to play with a lead. While they've shown potential at times, they've been mostly ineffective when it matters. IMO this philosophy is no good.

On offense, I think it all depends on Gase's playcalling. Throwing short (or behind the line of scrimmage) passes to Landry on 3rd and long was a drive-killer, but Gase seemed to consider it a smart call. I also feel that the OTs will be the line's weakness... IMO Tunsil and James are not worth the 1st round picks used on them.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  28. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

It's a make or break year for a couple of Miami players. Parker, Phillips and Tunsil come to mind. Tunsil disappointed last year, but maybe with a new offensive line coach and Sitton next to him at guard he can take the next step.

Ray R likes this.
  29. DolfanDuBbZ~

I predicted in another thread numbers along the lines of a Hunter Henry of 400/4. Looking at other rookie TEs, it's about the norm.

Which to me says unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment.

30. DolfanDuBbZ~

Your loco homie. Tunsil has 2 years left and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I love how it's a make or break year in year 2 of a LT playing the position.

lurking and Ray R like this.
  31. DolfanDuBbZ~

Trashing the tackles is the new thing here huh? Because a 33 yr old guard is gonna fix all the problems? Or a SF Center who isn't as athletic as our previous center will have free range at the 2nd level?

Just nuts.

Ray R likes this.
  32. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hunter Henry actually had 8 TDs as a rookie. Which is something of an outlier for rookie TEs. And Hunter came back down to earth the next season.

But I can see Gesicki having a low number of catches but a surprisingly high number of TDs. Tannehill has never really had an excellent red zone target in his entire career here in Miami. Although Amendola might count now too.

Ray R and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  33. DolfanDuBbZ~

I stand corrected, I was looking at his stats from last year.

"In his rookie season, Henry scored the second-most touchdowns by a rookie tight end in the last decade (only behind Rob Gronkowski), and scored the fifth most touchdowns by a rookie tight end in NFL history."

He did flash early and often.

The Tannehill part is typical though...

34. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

im convinced minkah was the right pick...the kid can play and plays fast all over the field making plays whether on the ball or making a sack and he will be a star eventually...him and raekwon should drastically improve the defense and be here for a very long time...im really looking forward to seeing these guys on the field, theyre both smart football guys

35. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm not sure what you mean. It's only my opinion but the Miami receivers have included a lot of guys who can move the chains, some with deep balls, some with short and intermediate routes, and even a seam threat like Clay but no one that excelled at getting open in the end zone or catching fades or contested balls in the end zone. Miami was usually better off throwing the ball short of the goal line and running it in after the catch.

Maybe some of it is on Tannehill. His TD numbers have always been his least impressive stat.

Ray R likes this.
  36. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Digital you made good points but I have a question for you how are you envisioning us improving the run defense especially with the loss of Suh?
    I agree with Hyde and think he is dead on in his observations.
    1. Gase and staff got their chess pieces they wanted this year so there are fewer excuses than seasons in the past when there were divisions between the front office and the coaches.
    2. Aquiring 31 year old plus players are usually a bit of a gamble in the NFL dues to normal declining production plus injury concerns that come with players at that age.
    3. Wilson's contract compared to Watkins looks like he got a good deal but thats nothing new with Tbum signings since he has been here.
    4. While I like our roster and see reasons for optimistism, if Gase fails this year it's on his sword. We cant blame Ross who has been willing to pay big bucks to players, and big name coaches. Ross believe he deserves a winner and he does.

Peyeydolphan likes this.
  37. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

Trashing the Tackles is just my opinion. I feel this way because ever since Philbin was hired and preferred finesse over physicality the o-line has been below-average to terrible. I think that the team is not very good at recognizing and evaluating o-line talent, and that they'd be better off building a line with Free Agents from other teams. Why is it that other teams can build a decent line by finding starters in the mid rounds of the draft, but Miami uses high draft picks and ends up with a below-average line? Actually, I think it's a combination of poor talent evaluation and picking the wrong type of players because they fit the wrong type of scheme. I say go old-school on the o-line, like the early 70s Fins o-line, or the Redskins Hogs. If your o-line can completely dominate the line of scrimmage, then you can run or pass as you please. Sparano had an average o-line, but it was better than anything Philbin or Gase has fielded. 3rd or 4th and 1? Put Lousaka Polite behind that line and it was an automatic 1st down. 3rd or 4th and 1 under Philbin or Gase? Odds were they'd get stuffed behind the line whether they passed it or ran it.

38. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

Oh boy, reading these posts is painful. First thing, and it’s not going to feel good, but Fins regressed. Their talent got worse and being optimistic about this season is naive. Best thing they have going for them is an easier schedule and home games early in season at 1PM. The heat will help keep games close. That’s sad, and I like Gase and Grier, but even with a good year from Tannehill they’re at best an 8-8 club.

39. Ray R

I think the title of this thread is a little misleading "Dolphins Did All They Wanted This Offseason — But Will It Work?".
    If the title was "Dolphins Did All They Could This Offseason and did it well — But Will It Work?, would any of the responses would have been different? Just curious?

tazthenomad likes this.
  40. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Why is is naive?

The truth might be that the team finishes below .500 but feeling good about a fresh seasons isn't naive it is just being hopeful that **** clicks and the team gels and puts a run together. Optimism isn't being naive it's just called wanting more than living in a cardboard refrigerator box under a train vessel.

fishfanmiami likes this.