Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense

lets just try to fix one side of the ball I guess? Nothing to fix on an offense that can't score when it counts.....

In our last 2 games we averaged 24 minutes TOP and 270 yards of offense......oh and 13 points.

You think what Fangio is saying doesn't have merit?

It would be awesome if you could pin the Dolphins struggles on 1 coach, player, position etc. Then you could go out and rectify it. It just runs deeper than that.

In our last 2 games we averaged 24 minutes TOP and 270 yards of offense......oh and 13 points.

You think what Fangio is saying doesn't have merit?

It would be awesome if you could pin the Dolphins struggles on 1 coach, player, position etc. Then you could go out and rectify it. It just runs deeper than that.
I never said the defense was the whole problem as I'm quite aware out offense collapsed as well

Our offense struggled against better teams as well.

7 points in their last game, 20 or more once in their last 4.
Agreed. Just 2 things to point out:

1. it's bad enough when players throw one unit under the bus when they're not holding up their end of the bargain. For a coach to do it? Even worse. For a coach who's been in the game for 30+ years? Inexcusable.

2. I could see taking such a stance if the D was playing lights out all year. However, they couldn't stop anyone at the beginning of the season and I don't recall the D being thrown under the bus by any O coaches at the time.

At the end of the day, the offense does have to play better. But let the Eagles deal with Fangio's backstabbing bs. It's a cancer to a team.

Well I guess we have our defensive scapegoat. Who do we blame for the disaster that was the MD offense down the stretch? Coach? Tua? Tyreek? Refs and injuries? Injuries and Refs?

Offense was by far the bigger disappointment to me. Started strong but were relatively helpless as things went on. For the 2nd year in McD’s system with a healthy Tua just did not see sub 20 point production coming for half the season and in every big spot. They better get that **** right first or it won’t matter what the defense is doing.

Well I guess we have our defensive scapegoat. Who do we blame for the disaster that was the MD offense down the stretch? Coach? Tua? Tyreek? Refs and injuries? Injuries and Refs?

Offense was by far the bigger disappointment to me. Started strong but were relatively helpless as things went on. For the 2nd year in McD’s system with a healthy Tua just did not see sub 20 point production coming for half the season and in every big spot. They better get that **** right first or it won’t matter what the defense is doing.
So, about that offense.....

Dallas - We didn't turn the ball over and Tua drove the field at the end to set us up for the win. The Cowboys have a very good defense, they average giving up 18.5 pts per game and we put up 22. However, we also turned the ball over on downs inside their 6 yard line early in the game.

Baltimore - We had 3 turnovers this game, two INT's and one Fumble. The Ravens have the leagues best defense and averaged 16.5 points per game. We put up 19, despite the 3 turnovers. We also turned the ball over on downs during the game. One late in the game which I discount, but earlier in the game we failed to convert a 4th down giving them a short field. Our defense gave up 56 points!

Buffalo - Also a pretty good defense who average giving up 18.8 points per game. We put up 14. Tua had two INT's in this game that hurt us. However it was a tie game late and it took a special teams TD by the Bills to win. Josh Allen was not good in this game and also had 2 INT's.

Kansas City - Another pretty good defense who averaged giving up 17.3 points per game. We put up just 7. In this game, Tua had one INT and we had an astonishing 3 turnover on downs. Neither QB was sharp with Mahomes completing just 56% of his passes and Tua completing 51%. The Chiefs were able to move the ball on the ground with 147 rushing yards to our 76

I didn't go back any further, but if you do look at the Tennessee game, we actually put up 17 points in the 4th quarter. We also turned the ball over on a fumble inside their 5 yard line early in the game and had a FG blocked.

Bottom line, when I look at all of this objectively, I see there are clearly some things that Tua needs to clean up, but we also have some play calling issues with the astonishing number of turnovers on downs we have had and you could argue that 2 of these game losses were a direct result of Special Teams failures (Tennessee and Buffalo). These are all things that can be improved upon and hopefully we will see that happen. This isn't just about one thing......it is a number of things that didn't work well against good defenses.

Last edited:
Fangio isnt wrong - the O went from bad to worse at the end of the season, with unexcusable performances in key games. Played arguably their worst games when it mattered most. I dont dislike this at all.
those who live in glass houses should etc etc

When our D got their **** pushed in to end the Tennessee game everyone knew the season was over. Fangio was walking the green mile at that point. The entire team folded when it mattered. We specialize in putting up meaningless stats on offense and td celebrations, game planning is at a checkers level not chess. Until the team gets serious nothing will change.

My bigger concern is what Tom Brady said - not about us - about being pushed in general. I don’t know if McDaniel pushes the guys hard enough. That could be why they couldn’t beat anyone good. Per Brady, if you’re not pushed hard you’re “figuring it out” when it gets tough. I kinda thought that Hard Knocks practices looked a bit too loose but I admit it’s not a full picture. Bottom line I think some of what Fangio said is likely True. Hopefully Weaver can connect w the guys and push them to be better

If your coaches test you and your teammates test you, you can beat your competition,’’ Brady said. “If they’re not testing you and you’re waiting until game day to figure things out, you’re at a disadvantage.

“I loved the fact that I was pushed every day to be my best, and I loved that I had the ability to push my teammates to be their best. When I did that, I knew there was accountability back on me that I was expected to go be my best.” - Brady

My bigger concern is what Tom Brady said - not about us - about being pushed in general. I don’t know if McDaniel pushes the guys hard enough. That could be why they couldn’t beat anyone good. Per Brady, if you’re not pushed hard you’re “figuring it out” when it gets tough. I kinda thought that Hard Knocks practices looked a bit too loose but I admit it’s not a full picture. Bottom line I think some of what Fangio said is likely True. Hopefully Weaver can connect w the guys and push them to be better

If your coaches test you and your teammates test you, you can beat your competition,’’ Brady said. “If they’re not testing you and you’re waiting until game day to figure things out, you’re at a disadvantage.

“I loved the fact that I was pushed every day to be my best, and I loved that I had the ability to push my teammates to be their best. When I did that, I knew there was accountability back on me that I was expected to go be my best.” - Brady
From what I've heard the Phins run way more 11 on 11 than most teams in practice and they are going full tempo once actual practice starts, if nothing else I would think that would amp up the competitive spirit more than usual. If we're talking about running the Oklahoma drill at every opportunity, I think we can safely say that ain't happening with this regime. Who knows, I haven't been to a Dolphins practice since Wannstedt was running the show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom