Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense

Fangio's bus starting leaving for Philly the day he was hired by Miami.
Bye Felicia

Bus Tour & Step-on Guide Services | The Constitutional Walking Tour of  Philadelphia

Dave Hyde is an actual reporter and not a shock reporter.

I wasn’t able to read the article either but if Hyde’s reporting the Dolphins have a party culture problem then he’s heard it from more than just Jaworski.

Where there’s smoke…

Edit - Thanks for posting the article! I agree with Hyde.
he’s only going off what Jawaorski said

I do agree that the offense didn’t carry its weight in the last quarter but we all know that

So we made it hard for his defense when we were up by 14 on Tennessee with 3 minutes and lost . Very nasty and undisciplined 🐻

i read the article. the title of this thread is a bit misleading. although the article mentions fangio was critical of the offense, it is one sentence, and never substantiated. it is mostly about the defense, and the fact that those guys like to party, and all the stuff that ron jaworski said, who is viewed as a proxy for fangio. the article then goes on to ask if the dolphins have a cultural problem and the guys don't work hard enough and focus
Exactly. The headline of the editorial describes the content. The header here doesn't match at all. It refers to one fleeting sentence that serves as mild almost throwaway transition, early in the piece.

Hyde correctly summarizes that Holland and Smith basically gave credibility to Fangio's supposed comments, via their social media reaction after his departure. That was a key point and it's the reason you need someone of the caliber and experience of Dave Hyde writing this editorial. How is it possible that anyone praised Holland and/or Smith?

Grier does not draft impressive players, at least in terms of their character. That's been my beef for years. I've watched the immediate post draft interviews for 50+ years. The most dramatic variance from early Dolphins to recent decades is that Joe Thomas in particular really knew how to find guys who played the part and sounded the part. They instantly came across as smart and dedicated. That's why they were so reluctant to speak on radio to Henry Barrow after the rare defeat.

Nobody subsequently has been able to match Joe Thomas in that aspect. I've seen all of them, from Bobby Beathard and Chuck Connor forth. Beathard could identify talent but he was hit and miss because he liked to gamble on guys like Donald Reese and Darryl Carlton. Really the only time we've resembled the Joe Thomas years was 1977 after the Reese/Crowder debacle of 1976 and we placed extreme emphasis on character entering 1977. That draft produced A.J. Duhe and Bob Baumhower, two rock solid guys who were every bit the impressive equal of the early '70s guys.

Unfortunately the league evolved to larger players in the '80s. Duhe and Baumhower became somewhat symbolic of '70s frames trying to line up against Washington's Hogs. Since the league evolved on the defensive front seven we've really struggled to find massive dedicated guys in combo with similarly dedicated hit and cover guys.

I concede I know the problem beyond the solution.

BTW, the spell checker here is laughably juvenile. Whoever designed that might as well sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap. Every time I write Bobby Beathard it changes it to Boatyard. A.J. Duhe becomes Dude. Seriously? Get out of middle school.

Exactly. The headline of the editorial describes the content. The header here doesn't match at all. It refers to one fleeting sentence that serves as mild almost throwaway transition, early in the piece.

Hyde correctly summarizes that Holland and Smith basically gave credibility to Fangio's supposed comments, via their social media reaction after his departure. That was a key point and it's the reason you need someone of the caliber and experience of Dave Hyde writing this editorial. How is it possible that anyone praised Holland and/or Smith?

Grier does not draft impressive players, at least in terms of their character. That's been my beef for years. I've watched the immediate post draft interviews for 50+ years. The most dramatic variance from early Dolphins to recent decades is that Joe Thomas in particular really knew how to find guys who played the part and sounded the part. They instantly came across as smart and dedicated. That's why they were so reluctant to speak on radio to Henry Barrow after the rare defeat.

Nobody subsequently has been able to match Joe Thomas in that aspect. I've seen all of them, from Bobby Beathard and Chuck Connor forth. Beathard could identify talent but he was hit and miss because he liked to gamble on guys like Donald Reese and Darryl Carlton. Really the only time we've resembled the Joe Thomas years was 1977 after the Reese/Crowder debacle of 1976 and we placed extreme emphasis on character entering 1977. That draft produced A.J. Duhe and Bob Baumhower, two rock solid guys who were every bit the impressive equal of the early '70s guys.

Unfortunately the league evolved to larger players in the '80s. Duhe and Baumhower became somewhat symbolic of '70s frames trying to line up against Washington's Hogs. Since the league evolved on the defensive front seven we've really struggled to find massive dedicated guys in combo with similarly dedicated hit and cover guys.

I concede I know the problem beyond the solution.

BTW, the spell checker here is laughably juvenile. Whoever designed that might as well sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap. Every time I write Bobby Beathard it changes it to Boatyard. A.J. Duhe becomes Dude. Seriously? Get out of middle school.
Just laughing at the spelling part. 🤣

I posted after the Titans debacle that Fangio had zero clue how that was going to come back and bite us in the ass.

Sorry Vic, if you can’t close out that game in that scenario you have zero right to cast blame on others. Look in the mirror you stubborn old bastard. Good riddance.

There is something to this no doubt in my mind. It would account for the decades of failure. Miami is where players like to live the life….and slacking off…even if ever so lightly….is the difference between winning and losing on the hyper competitive NFL.

Winter time ( crunch time) in Buff, Balt, Pitt, KC etc and players are pretty much shut in and thinking football. In Miami they’re thinking about chasing ass on South Beach.

There is something to this no doubt in my mind. It would account for the decades of failure. Miami is where players like to live the life….and slacking off…even if ever so lightly….is the difference between winning and losing on the hyper competitive NFL.

Winter time ( crunch time) in Buff, Balt, Pitt, KC etc and players are pretty much shut in and thinking football. In Miami they’re thinking about chasing ass on South Beach.
Wow! That is quite a leap.

I'm thinking this is more about all sides not wanting to be viewed as the problem and putting out their narratives. Frankly, I doubt any of this is true....but rest easy, from the 20,000 foot level, our new defensive coordinator doesn't appear to tolerate players who aren't very hungry......

Wow! That is quite a leap.

I'm thinking this is more about all sides not wanting to be viewed as the problem and putting out their narratives. Frankly, I doubt any of this is true....but rest easy, from the 20,000 foot level, our new defensive coordinator doesn't appear to tolerate players who aren't very hungry......
Heh…maybe. But I’ve been trying to come up w a common denominator for the decades of failure through different coaches…players..and even owners.

Maybe it has something to do with the city itself.

Heh…maybe. But I’ve been trying to come up w a common denominator for the decades of failure through different coaches…players..and even owners.

Maybe it has something to do with the city itself.
Let me throw this at you....

From 1969 to current.....the Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 head coaches

From 2004 to current.....the Miami Dolphins have had 10 head coaches counting our interim guys.

I'm thinking the longer term issue is the constant turnover and lack of continuity. Pick your coaches, develop your philosophy on style of play and let it cook. Don't keep swapping people out every time we don't get immediate gratification. Build something......

My two cents....

I’m more interested in Brady’s comments than Fangio’s supposed comments. Did anyone who watched Hard Knocks get the feeling that our practices looked like anything Brady was talking about?

I can tell you one thing I've learned over the years... if you have a coach who openly blames the other side of his team for losing (either offense or defense blaming the other), then... you have the wrong coach-- no matter how good he is.
That behavior is absolutely corrosive, it destroys morale and brings everyone down. If indeed Fangio made these comments, then he's poison... just not the guy you want to see in the foxhole alongside your men.
Frag that officer now... and move on.

Back
Top Bottom