Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Fangio was critical of the offense

The offense had clear weaknesses at the end of the year. We had no reliable third option after Waddle/Hill in the receiving game, we had no reliable TE that could make a play in the middle of the field, and people really underestimated how important Connor was to the offense and how much of a downgrade Eich was at center... and I'm not talking blocking, I'm talking ID'ing defenses, shifting protection, ect.. Combine that with some questionable playcalling late in the season and it was a bad combo. But again... an adequate TE changes a lot of that IMO.

As for the defense? For all the talk of the defense not wanting to work hard, the D did improve as the season went on. I have issues with things Fangio did (lack of adjustment, not pressing corners enough, ect.) but I don't buy that the players didn't want to work hard.

It was just a bad fit personality wise... and that happens.

I agree that our offense under performed the last few games of the season and was the bigger problem than our defense who still played well considering the injuries on defense.

Fangio is good. They had a difference of opinion and vision. They moved on from each other. It happens all the time.

Fit is so important. It doesn’t mean you can’t succeed somewhere else.
He just wasn't a good fit for us and you could see it as the season went on

Wow! That is quite a leap.

I'm thinking this is more about all sides not wanting to be viewed as the problem and putting out their narratives. Frankly, I doubt any of this is true....but rest easy, from the 20,000 foot level, our new defensive coordinator doesn't appear to tolerate players who aren't very hungry......
He will be on the field I'll bet grabbing face mask and chewing ass . Well at least I hope so

The offense had clear weaknesses at the end of the year. We had no reliable third option after Waddle/Hill in the receiving game, we had no reliable TE that could make a play in the middle of the field, and people really underestimated how important Connor was to the offense and how much of a downgrade Eich was at center... and I'm not talking blocking, I'm talking ID'ing defenses, shifting protection, ect.. Combine that with some questionable playcalling late in the season and it was a bad combo. But again... an adequate TE changes a lot of that IMO.

As for the defense? For all the talk of the defense not wanting to work hard, the D did improve as the season went on. I have issues with things Fangio did (lack of adjustment, not pressing corners enough, ect.) but I don't buy that the players didn't want to work hard.

It was just a bad fit personality wise... and that happens.
Even more impactful was when that lack of a third option in the receiving game became the lack of a second option (with Tyreek and Wadlle being injured).

Even more impactful was when that lack of a third option in the receiving game became the lack of a second option (with Tyreek and Wadlle being injured).
We played well with just Waddle against the Cowboys but your right as no one else are stepping up.

If Miami's distractions causes low commitment and poor performance, how does one explain Buffalo and all their trophies?

They should have 10 Superbowls by now if this is the measuring stick.
Necessary but not sufficient. Lots of things in the world function in that manner. For example one has to be a woman to have a baby -- i.e., being a woman is necessary for childbirth -- but being a woman isn't sufficient for having a baby -- there are more pieces of the puzzle involved than just being a woman.

I'm not saying I believe in the "South Beach partying" idea here, however. Only pointing out something about logic.

We were so cursed with injuries it was unbelievable our injured reserve list compared to others and every week was telling
I miss Dolphins football. I don’t miss worrying about the injury reports on a weekly basis. That is what the 2023 season turned into…a weekly injury report check.

Well yes that too because you don't have someone to move up a role. Berrios was okayish, but didn't have the impact many (including myself) expected. Ced had a few moments where it looked like it could be him, but as the season went on he just wasn't winning against man.

To go with this, again, a reliable TE makes a difference. Smythe and Hill were passable as blocking options, and showed that if a route is schemed they could get a catch... but neither are guys you can send down the seam, who will sit in a soft spot of a zone, or be a redzone threat. Thus again I think TE solves a lot of issues for the offense

Losing our 2 beat defensive players was a crushing blow . Time for the other guys to step up
I hope we get a gem at 21 at least we get a 1st rounder this year

Vic Fangio has had a long and great career as an NFL coach. He has been a consistent success in building competitive defenses on multiple teams. OK, he's now off to Philadelphia, where he always wanted to be. Vic seemed to avoid controversy all year in his press conferences, he was very restrained in answering questions. So it is very surprising to come out now and trash the Dolphins players as he exits. I'm still of the view that losing so many key defensive players to injury was the big factor in the decline at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Heh…maybe. But I’ve been trying to come up w a common denominator for the decades of failure through different coaches…players..and even owners.

Maybe it has something to do with the city itself.
Hey p, I keep tellin ya'll it is the curse, nobody has had the sense to try to appease the spirits. Now, there are no Tequesta left, but maybe the team can get the Seminole or Miccosukee medicine man to help out. By the way the stuff Vaark and I have only works with dead white guys, so no joy here.

The Ever Lovin Sick Week VIPER

Back
Top Bottom