Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason

not drafting well gets you into trouble......we were supposed to be building thru the draft but instead tried taking short cuts by trading away high picks for high priced players.....the players we traded for are good/great of course but we traded 8 picks for Hill/Ramsey/Chubb and spent a ton of millions on them........last two drafts we only have Achane to show for......(we'll see about Smith).......this is not the best way to build a SB team imo but at this point all we can do is hope for the best.

good list. sadly they cannot do all of these things giving the cap situation. interesting you left out his #4, which is interesting because when you pay a QB $50mm a year, you get even fewer things:

#4) Don’t extend Tua Tagovailoa to a mega-quarterback deal and get him competition. He’s good. Can he be great? He’s made nice steps the past two years. Is another in him? The NFL’s models to win big are a great, expensive quarterback or a cheaper, good quarterback. Which one is Tagovailoa? And spare the talk of a “controversy” or “hurt feelings.” These are all big boys. Ask this: What team would pay him in the area of five-years, $255-million (with $179 million guaranteed) like Jalen Hurts got in Philadelphia after going to the Super Bowl last season. You make that commitment, he better be great.
That no. 4 is going to make a lot of heads explode here 😂

Link to Dave Hyde's Article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dave-hyde-ten-not-simple-013500920.html

Edit - link fixed, sorry about that!

I don't post many threads but this article had some very interesting supporting points that I wanted to share. A few notable ones are below:

Point 1, keep your draft picks. "They [Dolphins] already have the least draft capital over a three-year period in league history." Yikes, what a complete reversal of building through the draft.

Point 5, the Christian Wilkins mess. " They’re [Dolphins] investing a fortune in the defensive line. Consider new defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver coached seven defensive linemen at Baltimore last year whose total cost was $18.4 million — less than Wilkins would make on the tag. Baltimore made the AFC championship game, too."

Point 8, find a Tight End - and a role for one. "The Dolphins were the only team without a touchdown from a tight end last year." Dolphins tied for 4th with 30 passing touchdowns last seasons.

I agree with those three, but must sY Wilkins is more the just a talented D-Linemen, he is a leader, he is a motivator, and big YES, he's a manipulating thorn in opponents back-side. The man is the QB of the defense, along with being one of the biggest weapons on it.

Personally (Sorry Christian), I wish Miami did not need to pay him this high, But (Hour welcome Christian, he is a huge part of the defense, remove him, and it brings the Defense backwards at least a year, but probably more to reach skill level.

Hoping both sides can compromise, and allow him to continue to be a Dolphin.

#1 - Trade Tua
#2 - #10 - Relocate the team

WOW
I get some were stripped, but that's a recipe for disaster.
With devastating long-term impact, unfortunately. IDC about 2024...I care about the future and this organization's expectance on re-establishing themselves as a respectable, dominant, class act.

This current situation is further proof Ross is a football dipshit...and nobody will tell him he's the problem.

The #1 not-so-simple solution (and its not just not simple, its impossible), is him...the others are window dressing.

Point 1, keep your draft picks. "They [Dolphins] already have the least draft capital over a three-year period in league history." Yikes, what a complete reversal of building through the draft.

Point 5, the Christian Wilkins mess. " They’re [Dolphins] investing a fortune in the defensive line. Consider new defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver coached seven defensive linemen at Baltimore last year whose total cost was $18.4 million — less than Wilkins would make on the tag. Baltimore made the AFC championship game, too."

Point 8, find a Tight End - and a role for one. "The Dolphins were the only team without a touchdown from a tight end last year." Dolphins tied for 4th with 30 passing touchdowns last seasons.

All of Hyde’s topics have merits and been discussed on the boards.

I just pointed out interesting underlying facts he used to support his positions. For example, we all have discussed that a pass catching TE was missing in the offense but our “high flying” scoring offense was the ONLY team without a passing TD to the TE?

I guess that’s why we were trying fades to short WRs in the end zone…

not drafting well gets you into trouble......we were supposed to be building thru the draft but instead tried taking short cuts by trading away high picks for high priced players.....the players we traded for are good/great of course but we traded 8 picks for Hill/Ramsey/Chubb and spent a ton of millions on them........last two drafts we only have Achane to show for......(we'll see about Smith).......this is not the best way to build a SB team imo but at this point all we can do is hope for the best.
Ten "not so simple" ways? Only two are needed to fix the team.

1. Replace Grier. In 2019 Grier did very well when it came to gutting the roster, accumulating draft picks, and making room under the salary cap. However, when it came to actually rebuilding the team, he did a lousy job. They're right back where they were before the teardown with too many holes, poor depth, o-line issues, and over the cap.

2. McDaniel needs to let someone else call the plays, or else he needs to be replaced too. He has no business calling plays because he has no experience, and it shows on the field by his questionable playcalling and adjustments. It made no sense to keep forcing the ball to Hill and Waddle, especially if they were covered and other receivers were open. And, this so-called "running game guru" would often stop running the ball, even when it was working and the smart thing to do. His record on challenges is terrible, and so is his in-game management. IMO, McDaniel can design plays, but has no football sense as to how and when to effectively use those plays.

Personally, when Miami lost to KC in the playoffs, I wanted Ross to clean house immediately, and completely this time. However, I know that he's not going to do anything, and Miami will be stuck with Grier and McDaniel for another year. I have no faith that Grier will finally build a decent o-line, or that McDaniel will either let someone else call the plays or actually become proficient at playcalling and strategy during the off-season.

Last edited:
Link to Dave Hyde's Article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dave-hyde-ten-not-simple-013500920.html

Edit - link fixed, sorry about that!

I don't post many threads but this article had some very interesting supporting points that I wanted to share. A few notable ones are below:

Is this true? League History?

So let me get this straight......

We have no depth at WR,

We don't have a TE,

We don't have 3 of our starting olinemen from last year under contract,

We can't afford to keep our home grown talent in Wilkins, Davis is garbage, Phillips and Chubb are injured, AVG is a FA, so our Dline is Seiler and that's it.

Our LBs have no depth and we have to cut Baker who's at least a serviceable player to get cap space.

We have one great Corner and a bunch of question marks at DB.

I guess you could say we're okay at Saftey..... compared to the rest of this nightmare we're okay at Saftey.

Our Kicker and Punter are trash.

We have to pay Tua a mega contact.

Moestert is in his 33rd NFL season so we're in need of a RB soon.

HOW IN THE HELL DO WE HAVE THIS MANY PROBLEMS AND HAVE NO CAP SPACE AND HAVE HAD THE FEWEST DRAFT PICKS IN A 3 YEAR SPAN IN NFL HISTORY?!?!

I mean what in the actual ****!

Is this true? League History?

So let me get this straight......

We have no depth at WR,

We don't have a TE,

We don't have 3 of our starting olinemen from last year under contract,

We can't afford to keep our home grown talent in Wilkins, Davis is garbage, Phillips and Chubb are injured, AVG is a FA, so our Dline is Seiler and that's it.

Our LBs have no depth and we have to cut Baker who's at least a serviceable player to get cap space.

We have one great Corner and a bunch of question marks at DB.

I guess you could say we're okay at Saftey..... compared to the rest of this nightmare we're okay at Saftey.

Our Kicker and Punter are trash.

We have to pay Tua a mega contact.

Moestert is in his 33rd NFL season so we're in need of a RB soon.

HOW IN THE HELL DO WE HAVE THIS MANY PROBLEMS AND HAVE NO CAP SPACE AND HAVE HAD THE FEWEST DRAFT PICKS IN A 3 YEAR SPAN IN NFL HISTORY?!?!

I mean what in the actual ****!
Grier has fooled us all, this rebuild was a total failure.

Just adding at all up there is only one conclusion I can take away from it.

Grier failed us, this entire rebuild, sure we got some okay players but in the grand scheme of things, he failed. Our Window is closed due to the cap and the lack of young cheap talent.

We're depleted on every level, cap space, talent, depth and draft picks.

It's a flunk, it's the worst you can do

The most important thing we can do, aside from staying healthy which has been a big problem, is stop being so one dimensional. We were a speed team. Speed, speed, speed. Speed at WR, speed at RB, the entire offense was built on speed. And when it worked, it worked great. But when it didn't, we couldn't adjust. We couldn't adapt.

Speed doesn't do us much good when it's 3rd and goal on the 3 and we need that TD. We need power. Someone we know can run that ball into the endzone when we need them to. We need a power running back. Whether that solution is already in house in Brooks, we bring in a free agent or we draft someone, if we don't bring in a running back that can take over a game, get the short yardage when we need it, and run the ball down the other teams throats, we'll be in the same boat next season.

We also need a good, dependable possession receiver. He can be the slowest guy on the team for all I care as long as he can make the catch when we need it. Hill and Waddle are obviously our bread and butter in a speed based offense, but again, when the other teams figure out our speed, we need a plan B in our receiving game.

Back
Top Bottom