Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason

Point 8, find a Tight End - and a role for one. "The Dolphins were the only team without a touchdown from a tight end last year." Dolphins tied for 4th with 30 passing touchdowns last seasons.

This kinda blew my mind. No TD's from a TE last year. Wow! I am sure a lot of that came from poor play calling in the red zone and goal line.

We have to get a pass catcher seam threat to balance the passing game. I was hoping Claypool could be that guy, or at least line up in the slot on passing plays. The boy genius coach needs to implement the TE in to the play designs.

I think we have to extend Hunt and let Williams walk. Eich looked better each game at C, and this is a draft with plenty of OL talent. We can use the first 2 picks on the OL.

Unfortunately, if it meant signing Hunt, AVG, and a couple depth guys OR signing Wilkins.....I would have to let Wilkins walk. I just don't see how we can keep him and neglect numerous other vacancies.

I think we have to extend Hunt and let Williams walk. Eich looked better each game at C, and this is a draft with plenty of OL talent. We can use the first 2 picks on the OL.

Unfortunately, if it meant signing Hunt, AVG, and a couple depth guys OR signing Wilkins.....I would have to let Wilkins walk. I just don't see how we can keep him and neglect numerous other vacancies.

Agree. Part of the balance in any negotiation is 'what will the guy cost, what is his value to the team, and what else (how many needed players) can I get for the same money?' Granted, that's a complex answer no one here can answer, but $20mm or more can upgrade/replace quite a few spots. Of course, one of those spots has to be Wilkins'

This is what I believe the front office and coaching staff thinks:
1. We are close. The core of this team can win a Super Bowl
2. Tua is the guy. He will be the QB of this team for a long time
3. We can push cap down the road because this year is the one
4. Spending money and trading draft picks are the keys to winning short term

At least that's what it looks like based on their transactions

This is what I believe the front office and coaching staff thinks:
1. We are close. The core of this team can win a Super Bowl
2. Tua is the guy. He will be the QB of this team for a long time
3. We can push cap down the road because this year is the one
4. Spending money and trading draft picks are the keys to winning short term

At least that's what it looks like based on their transactions

I think you’re right (about what the team thinks) for 1 and for 2.

3 … all teams do this and it just depends on the degree. And I would hope they’d be sensible about restructuring deals. Do it once for key players but don’t become the Saints

4 … I disagree with this characterisation as the majority of this team is based around players we have drafted. Losing our 1st last year and 3rd this year was surely not part of the coaching or FO plan?

good list. sadly they cannot do all of these things giving the cap situation. interesting you left out his #4, which is interesting because when you pay a QB $50mm a year, you get even fewer things:

#4) Don’t extend Tua Tagovailoa to a mega-quarterback deal and get him competition. He’s good. Can he be great? He’s made nice steps the past two years. Is another in him? The NFL’s models to win big are a great, expensive quarterback or a cheaper, good quarterback. Which one is Tagovailoa? And spare the talk of a “controversy” or “hurt feelings.” These are all big boys. Ask this: What team would pay him in the area of five-years, $255-million (with $179 million guaranteed) like Jalen Hurts got in Philadelphia after going to the Super Bowl last season. You make that commitment, he better be great.

RONG.
We certainly can.
The questions are really very simple, just hard to swallow!

Are we willing to "bite the bullet" on Free Agency and quit bringing in good but older players on the decline?

Are we willing to let go of some of our older, but better and more expensive players go?

Are we going to quit using up our draft selections to support high priced Free Agents?

Consider this, we have built up our coaching staff significantly over the last two years, so we should be in a position to be able to use newly drafted players and signed UDFA's with better results than in the past.

As a bonus, getting a larger number of draft selections over time may be the real answer to our special team's situation. The special teams' players should be where we develop the backups for our first line of backup players.

I'm beginning to suspect part of our Special Teams problem may be due to the personnel available to the Special Teams' coaching staff, more than it is a problem with coaching.

We have shown over the last two years that we are willing to bring in new and better coaching talent, so why haven't we done that to address our Special Teams' issues?

The FO probably is fully aware of this and knows the problem is the players; but went "overboard" focusing on the Offense and Defense.

When I look at it this way, the reason Special Teams is doing poorly seems to fall into place.

When I add into that the fact that with our new HC is going into his third year, I see the possibility that he made Special Teams' a coaching "afterthought", while he focused on the Offense and game calling and being less involved in dealing with the Defense. Where does that leave Special Teams? At the bottom of the barrel.

This also makes a lot of sense when I look at the type of players we have brought in and developed for the Offense and the Defense over the last two years.

If I related this to cooking a spaghetti dinner I would say:
Too much spice!
Real good sauce, but not nearly enough sauce!
Too much spaghetti!
Not enough side dishes!

I've got to stop now.
I'm getting hungry. - LOL

RONG.
We certainly can.

Are we willing to "bite the bullet" on Free Agency and quit bringing in good but older players on the decline?

Are we willing to let go of some of our older, but better and more expensive players go?

Are we going to quit using up our draft selections to support high priced Free Agents?

Consider this, we have built up our coaching staff significantly over the last two years, so we should be in a position to be able to use newly drafted players and signed UDFA's with better results than in the past.

As a bonus, getting a larger number of draft selections over time may be the real answer to our special team's situation. The special teams' players should be where we develop the backups for our first line of backup players.

I'm beginning to suspect part of our Special Teams problem may be due to the personnel available to the Special Teams' coaching staff, more than it is a problem with coaching.

We have shown over the last two years that we are willing to bring in new and better coaching talent, so why haven't we done that to address our Special Teams' issues?

The FO probably is fully aware of this and knows the problem is the players; but went "overboard" focusing on the Offense and Defense.

When I look at it this way, the reason Special Teams is doing poorly seems to fall into place.

When I add into that the fact that with our new HC is going into his third year, I see the possibility that he made Special Teams' a coaching "afterthought", while he focused on the Offense and game calling and being less involved in dealing with the Defense. Where does that leave Special Teams? At the bottom of the barrel.

This also makes a lot of sense when I look at the type of players we have brought in and developed for the Offense and the Defense over the last two years.

Too much spice!
Too much spaghetti!
Not enough side dishes!

I've got to stop now.
Your logic is impeccable. Which is out of place on FH. Lol!

When Grier was stockpiling draft picks, most of those players turned into huge contributors to Miami. Wilkins, Holland, Phillips, Hunt, Jackson, Tua, Waddle etc. That's the formula moving forward.

I think the Hill trade, and that he was available, came as a surprise and changed the trajectory of Grier's thinking. Got to be bold sometimes too.

Tua is interesting. I think Miami can win with him, but I do have some concerns. His decision making has to be better for the Dolphins to have super bowl aspirations. The loss of some athletic ability, due to the added bulk, is also something to consider.

Making plays when everything breaks down is really what separates good from great quarterbacks. At this time Tua qualifies as good. Can he get that athleticism back that allowed him to extend plays more often?

Granted, we have to factor in that Miami's offensive line still needs work, the tight end position is iffy at best etc.

RONG.
We certainly can.

Too much spice!
Too much spaghetti!
Not enough side dishes!

I've got to stop now.

I'm not opposed to any strategic move as long as it's not over done. Every team brings in 'older' vets. That, by itself, isn't a negative. IMO, Miami's problem for years has been keeping top players for too long and thinking short term. TBF, it's hard for new or relatively new coaches to think long term when their job could be decided by 'next year.'
Secure HCs can think long term and, for the most part, avoid high priced vets, and avoid trading draft picks. They can also trade away once top players. I'm hoping Miami can get top coaches to get the most out of youngsters and not feel compelled to get deteriorating talent.

Link to Dave Hyde's Article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dave-hyde-ten-not-simple-013500920.html

Edit - link fixed, sorry about that!

I don't post many threads but this article had some very interesting supporting points that I wanted to share. A few notable ones are below:

Point 1, keep your draft picks. "They [Dolphins] already have the least draft capital over a three-year period in league history." Yikes, what a complete reversal of building through the draft.

Point 5, the Christian Wilkins mess. " They’re [Dolphins] investing a fortune in the defensive line. Consider new defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver coached seven defensive linemen at Baltimore last year whose total cost was $18.4 million — less than Wilkins would make on the tag. Baltimore made the AFC championship game, too."

Point 8, find a Tight End - and a role for one. "The Dolphins were the only team without a touchdown from a tight end last year." Dolphins tied for 4th with 30 passing touchdowns last seasons.
Everyone should pay attention to point 5

not drafting well gets you into trouble......we were supposed to be building thru the draft but instead tried taking short cuts by trading away high picks for high priced players.....the players we traded for are good/great of course but we traded 8 picks for Hill/Ramsey/Chubb and spent a ton of millions on them........last two drafts we only have Achane to show for......(we'll see about Smith).......this is not the best way to build a SB team imo but at this point all we can do is hope for the best.
Yes and no. You can make a case that trading away draft picks is not the way to have a long term sustained success, but you can make a case for trading away draft picks for proven veteran talent can get you a Super Bowl in the short term, as evidenced by the LA Rams.
The problem Miami has run into is all the really good draft picks they have hit on are due for second contracts all around the same time so it makes it impossible to retain them all. That’s where your point about trading away draft capital hurts the team. They don’t have many draft assets to try and offset the loss of their own successful draft picks.

yes. but wrong reason to extend a QB on a huge deal if you dont believe in him. the first thing is you have to believe in the QB. the short term cap relief is nice. but you don't give someone a huge long term deal just to get 1 year of help with the cap, when you have to suffer for four years after that. if you believe in the QB, and believe he can carry the team while burdening it with a $50mm cap hit, different story. i just do not know how you can make the case now that tua can eat up 50mm of cap space and also carry the team at the same time. tua couldnt carry the team last year, with a 9mm cap hit. do not misconstrue this, i am not saying tua sucks. i am just saying he is not a 50mm a year QB, under any circumstance, even one that gets you cap relief next year
Again, was just responding to your point about cap space and the mindset of the FO. Your opinion on what they should or shouldn’t do with Tua is a different discussion. I’m personally of the mindset that he’ll probably end up, with more money than many people think he’s worth which just kind of goes along with the strange polarization he seems to generate for whatever reason that other Qb’s at a similar or even lesser level than he don’t seem to generate for whatever reason. In any case, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than what Justin Herbert got. He got $133 million guaranteed, and I imagine Tua’s will come in somewhere between there (definitely more than $133 million) and $140 million guaranteed or so.

I would guess that’s what he will end up with based on the fact that I think the FO believes in him more than a lot of the naysayers out there do, but we shall see…

Back
Top Bottom