Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason

good list. sadly they cannot do all of these things giving the cap situation. interesting you left out his #4, which is interesting because when you pay a QB $50mm a year, you get even fewer things:

#4) Donā€™t extend Tua Tagovailoa to a mega-quarterback deal and get him competition. Heā€™s good. Can he be great? Heā€™s made nice steps the past two years. Is another in him? The NFLā€™s models to win big are a great, expensive quarterback or a cheaper, good quarterback. Which one is Tagovailoa? And spare the talk of a ā€œcontroversyā€ or ā€œhurt feelings.ā€ These are all big boys. Ask this: What team would pay him in the area of five-years, $255-million (with $179 million guaranteed) like Jalen Hurts got in Philadelphia after going to the Super Bowl last season. You make that commitment, he better be great.
Actually just regarding your specific point regarding cap hit on a big extension at qb, you can minimize the cap hit this year by paying a big bonus and spreading it out over coming years, but that will of
Course become do at some point in the next year or two in terms of cap impact.

Actually just regarding your specific point regarding cap hit on a big extension at qb, you can minimize the cap hit this year by paying a big bonus and spreading it out over coming years, but that will of
Course become do at some point in the next year or two in terms of cap impact.
yes. but wrong reason to extend a QB on a huge deal if you dont believe in him. the first thing is you have to believe in the QB. the short term cap relief is nice. but you don't give someone a huge long term deal just to get 1 year of help with the cap, when you have to suffer for four years after that. if you believe in the QB, and believe he can carry the team while burdening it with a $50mm cap hit, different story. i just do not know how you can make the case now that tua can eat up 50mm of cap space and also carry the team at the same time. tua couldnt carry the team last year, with a 9mm cap hit. do not misconstrue this, i am not saying tua sucks. i am just saying he is not a 50mm a year QB, under any circumstance, even one that gets you cap relief next year

If you hate Tua so much let's hear your plan at QB if it isn't Tua. :ffic:
Dude it's not that people hate Tua. It's the simple fact that he's a question mark right now. Why pay someone a huge deal when they haven't proved they can win when it counts? What's wrong with letting him play one more year without signing him? If he balls out and gets over the hump, happily pay him. If not, we can move on when the staff gets fired. Hopefully Grier is the first one out the door. Anyway there isn't a plan to replace Tua this year. That's why you wait until after next year plays out.

Dude it's not that people hate Tua. It's the simple fact that he's a question mark right now. Why pay someone a huge deal when they haven't proved they can win when it counts? What's wrong with letting him play one more year without signing him? If he balls out and gets over the hump, happily pay him. If not, we can move on when the staff gets fired. Hopefully Grier is the first one out the door. Anyway there isn't a plan to replace Tua this year. That's why you wait until after next year plays out.
why people have such a hard time with this concept is beyond me. why they think you are a troll for suggesting this is further beyond me. fine to disagree, but folks that find it nuts to even suggest this, well they are the ones that are nuts!

why people have such a hard time with this concept is beyond me. why they think you are a troll for suggesting this is further beyond me. fine to disagree, but folks that find it nuts to even suggest this, well they are the ones that are nuts!
Lol. Yeah, they've came at me hard at times. No worries tho, I know we all just want to win and for next year Tua does give us the best chance but he really has to show he can make the right moves when it counts. Can't be ****ing up taking sacks on 4th and whatever to win the game. Can't be throwing picks. Gotta make better decisions. Coach does too tho. Anyway I don't really think it's going to get better. I think it will be the same next year. But that's just me. I'm hoping we have a totally new staff after next year

I understand that. Letā€™s say the team finishing like last year for example. That means their first round pick will be at the end of the first round. That wonā€™t be as high as it would need to be to draft a high quality QB.

I was asking to get his thoughts on the QB situation going forward to see what he would do at the position if it wasnā€™t Tua. Was looking for the thought process.

I have no problem understanding the concept. Read a lot of Tua stinks, or isnā€™t the QB for this team. Was looking to see how he would go about upgrading the position if itā€™s not Tua.

I have no problem understanding the concept. Read a lot of Tua stinks, or isnā€™t the QB for this team. Was looking to see how he would go about upgrading the position if itā€™s not Tua.
I think Tua is a good QB. I support him and think we can win with him if we give him a great OL. Having said that, if McCarthy is available at 21, I would be tempted to draft him and then let him compete. If they both ball out I have a nice trade piece.

Realistically, he wonā€™t be available and I trade down and focus on C and OT.

I understand that. Letā€™s say the team finishing like last year for example. That means their first round pick will be at the end of the first round. That wonā€™t be as high as it would need to be to draft a high quality QB.

I was asking to get his thoughts on the QB situation going forward to see what he would do at the position if it wasnā€™t Tua. Was looking for the thought process.

I know this wasn't meant for me.

This is why the whole play the 5th year option is the worst option and should not even be considered.

You either pay Tua, or move on from Tua now.

1- paying Tua gives cap flexibility

2- 5th year option gives less cap flexibility, makes Miami a worse team as they will lose or not be able to sign one of their top guys.

3- What do they actually need Tua to show? If we go 6-0 against good teams next year, but Tua stinks. Do we extend him? If we go 0-6 but Tua Playas lights out. Do we extend him? I remind people, that if Hill does not drop 4 passes, Tua suddenly played well against top competition this season.

4- Tua plays the 5th year. Balls out. Now Miami is paying Tua 5-10 million more a year, thus hurting the cap more then it would this year.

5- as you stated, Miami will not be picking top 10 in the draft next year. With guys like Mccarthy/Nix and Penix. This year, even at 21, you could get a quality rookie QB without any trades. If you want to move on from Tua, this is the draft to do it.

The 5th year option makes zero sense whether Tua balls out or not IMO. Besides, Tua is too good to be a bad QB. Barring injury, Miami will still win 9-11 games regardless. He'll still put up top 10 numbers. So what's going to be accomplished really? Miami will still be a playoff contender. After the previous 20 years with what? 3 playoff appearances before Tua? If we pay Tua and "regret it", atleast well be a playoff team which is more then we can say the previous 20 years.

I am a Tua guy. I know Miami has their QB for the next 10 years. But if you are still not sold on Tua, This is the off season to move on from him. We gain nothing by having him prove it 1 more year and potentially lose everything. With the new age NFL one of those rookie QBS, if they're legit should be able to hit the ground running with this team.

Last edited:
I know this wasn't meant for me.

This is why the whole play the 5th year option is the worst option and should not even be considered.

You either pay Tua, or move on from Tua now.

1- paying Tua gives cap flexibility

2- 5th year option gives less cap flexibility, makes Miami a worse team as they will lose or not be able to sign one of their top guys.

3- What do they actually need Tua to show? If we go 6-0 against good teams next year, but Tua stinks. Do we extend him? If we go 0-6 but Tua Playas lights out. Do we extend him? I remind people, that if Hill does not drop 4 passes, Tua suddenly played well against top competition this season.

4- Tua plays the 5th year. Balls out. Now Miami is paying Tua 5-10 million more a year, thus hurting the cap more then it would this year.

5- as you stated, Miami will not be picking top 10 in the draft next year. With guys like Mccarthy/Nix and Penix. This year, even at 21, you could get a quality rookie QB without any trades. If you want to move on from Tua, this is the draft to do it.

The 5th year option makes zero sense whether Tua balls out or not IMO. Besides, Tua is too good to be a bad QB. Barring injury, Miami will still win 9-11 games regardless. He'll still put up top 10 numbers. So what's going to be accomplished really? Miami will still be a playoff contender. After the previous 20 years with what? 3 playoff appearances before Tua? If we pay Tua and "regret it", atleast well be a playoff team which is more then we can say the previous 20 years.

I am a Tua guy. I know Miami has their QB for the next 10 years. But if you are still not sold on Tua, This is the off season to move on from him. We gain nothing by having him prove it 1 more year and lose everything. With the new age NFL one of those rookie QBS, if they're legit should be able to hit the ground running with this team.
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom