Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde's Ten Not-So-Simple Ways to Solve the Miami Dolphins this offseason

Everyone should pay attention to point 5
I agree completely with point 5. I wouldn’t pay Wilkins that kind of money, just wouldn’t invest that in that position based on the return we got from doing that kind of thing in the past once with Suh. That doesn’t mean they won’t do it, but I kind of hope they don’t.

I have no problem understanding the concept. Read a lot of Tua stinks, or isn’t the QB for this team. Was looking to see how he would go about upgrading the position if it’s not Tua.
my view is there is no good answer to this question. that is part of the problem. BUT the worst thing you can do is turn it into a bigger problem. lets say there is no good easy answer to replace tua right now, although you could get Russell Wilson for 1 year and $1.2mm because Denver is paying him, but ignore that one. just say no easy answer to replace tua right now. so do you solve for that problem by giving Tua 5 years and $250mm? i say hell no, that is even stupider. if you move on from tua, you are probably getting worse again before you get better. this whole issue is tua's leverage. do the dolphins have the stones to start all over? tua is betting they don't. my view again is simple. make him play out the 5th year option, and then decide. if the same thing all over again, it makes it emotionally easier to start over. if tua shows he is the guy, fine pay him. is what it is.

Link to Dave Hyde's Article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dave-hyde-ten-not-simple-013500920.html

Point 5, the Christian Wilkins mess. " They’re [Dolphins] investing a fortune in the defensive line. Consider new defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver coached seven defensive linemen at Baltimore last year whose total cost was $18.4 million — less than Wilkins would make on the tag. Baltimore made the AFC championship game, too."
The fact that the QB was MVP was coincidental I guess?

Yes and no. You can make a case that trading away draft picks is not the way to have a long term sustained success, but you can make a case for trading away draft picks for proven veteran talent can get you a Super Bowl in the short term, as evidenced by the LA Rams.
The problem Miami has run into is all the really good draft picks they have hit on are due for second contracts all around the same time so it makes it impossible to retain them all. That’s where your point about trading away draft capital hurts the team. They don’t have many draft assets to try and offset the loss of their own successful draft picks.
that's just it......losing players to free agency will happen but we don’t have the picks to replace them with players on rookie deals.......we have exactly ONE player to show for from our last two drafts......that's not going to get it done.....I know people will say that they want to include the vets we traded for as part of the last two drafts but the problem is how much they’re getting paid.

that's just it......losing players to free agency will happen but we don’t have the picks to replace them with players on rookie deals.......we have exactly ONE player to show for from our last two drafts......that's not going to get it done.....I know people will say that they want to include the vets we traded for as part of the last two drafts but the problem is how much they’re getting paid.
That’s why this is a big year as far as making a run goes. Their window is probably small.

If you hate Tua so much let's hear your plan at QB if it isn't Tua. :ffic:
There typically isn't a plan.......

I think Tua should and will be extended, but I also think it is legitimate to question the financial repercussions of that move.

It may help us in the short term, but somewhere down the road it will be an issue that will have to be dealt with

That's the fact, jack. - LOL

This is what I believe the front office and coaching staff thinks:
1. We are close. The core of this team can win a Super Bowl
2. Tua is the guy. He will be the QB of this team for a long time
3. We can push cap down the road because this year is the one
4. Spending money and trading draft picks are the keys to winning short term

At least that's what it looks like based on their transactions
1. So u really belief. We are close? I think it 4 afc teams. That are better than us. They will hold dolphins back from getting to SB. When they show me they can beat these 4 team. Than I will belief it.
2.Tua is guy because dolphins are playing it safe. It all depends on what is ur goal for Tua.
3. They will do that w cap.
4. They need keep draft pick and develop there own players in future.
5. I think we are good Sept and oct team that start off fast. Than slow down or disappear in December and Jan.

Last edited:
1. So u really belief. We are close? I think it 4 afc teams. That are better than us. They will hold dolphins back from getting to SB. When they show me they can beat these 4 team. Than I will belief it.
2.Tua is guy because dolphins are playing it safe. It all depends on what is ur goal for Tua.
3. They will do that w cap.
4. They need keep draft pick and develop there own players in future.
5. I think we are good Sept and oct team that start off fast. Than slow down or disappear in December and Jan.
I said that this is what I believe the front office thinks, not what I think.

Yeah, the lack of picks is a problem now. I think they can deal with the cap issues. Us losing a 1st/3rd due to the tampering was a really big blow that we are now dealing with the fallout of. It kind of undercut Grier's plan. Using 2 1sts on Waddle was a bit of a luxury, knowing we still had lots of extra picks.

Yeah, the lack of picks is a problem now. I think they can deal with the cap issues. Us losing a 1st/3rd due to the tampering was a really big blow that we are now dealing with the fallout of. It kind of undercut Grier's plan. Using 2 1sts on Waddle was a bit of a luxury, knowing we still had lots of extra picks.
This makes me think. Would you give up two first rounders for Waddle now?

Back
Top Bottom