I didn't know much about AJ Feeley until I read this disturbing information | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I didn't know much about AJ Feeley until I read this disturbing information

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing new or disturbing there except the Frank Coyle info...and even that had this in it...
On the plus side, the DID did use some positive terms in describing Feeley, including “talentedâ€Â, “athleticâ€Â, “good armâ€Â, “good decision-makingâ€Â, “can be a huge surpriseâ€Â, and “intriguing upsideâ€Â.

Nothing like slamming the guy and then covering your bases in case you're wrong....:shakeno:

Sherif:

Careful. The Homers here don't want to hear the facts. And they get really mad when you prove that there is reason to be concerned. While it is true that none of us have seen what Feeley can do, it is obvious that he is a HUGE risk. One I believe we could not afford in our limited time frame.

We would have been much better off with Warner/Garcia/Collins and a rookie or Feeley .Better then Feeley and Fiedler.

This single decision can make or break this team this year. I think we have all been fed a bunch of BS by Wanspeil.

Great work Sherif and I am 100% with you on this and I am still 100% behind my Fins.
I am just getting tired of seeing us get worse and worse each year and now see our defnesive core getting old. The window is closing.

Mebeverine said:
Feeley had an injury in college which weakened his arm and loosened off his accuracy.

I'll be here with a full report from experts within camp once it gets underway, and I can tell you that AJ Feeley was the Eagles best QB the last two years. Many, many pro scouts will agree with you on that.

Hey man, do you ever check your PM box?? :)

fin-atic said:
Sherif:

Careful. The Homers here don't want to hear the facts. And they get really mad when you prove that there is reason to be concerned. While it is true that none of us have seen what Feeley can do, it is obvious that he is a HUGE risk. One I believe we could not afford in our limited time frame.

We would have been much better off with Warner/Garcia/Collins and a rookie or Feeley .Better then Feeley and Fiedler.

This single decision can make or break this team this year. I think we have all been fed a bunch of BS by Wanspeil.

Great work Sherif and I am 100% with you on this and I am still 100% behind my Fins.
I am just getting tired of seeing us get worse and worse each year and now see our defnesive core getting old. The window is closing.

:Biting tongue: I will NOT be sucked into this again.

All I will say is, let's see what he does on the field. That's when I will make my judgment.....

fiedler has had his chance 4 years not a damn thing to show for it 1 playoff win whoo hooo anywhere else he would be looking for a job by now!!!!!! aj will prove he is the man to lead us to the promise land!!!!!!!

DolphinzD said:
All I will say is, let's see what he does on the field. That's when I will make my judgment.....

Yup. I doubt anyone other than a Philly fan has much insight into the guy's play.

The guy does have some points about feely and does have legitimate concerns. Add to the fact that the your OL consist of a rookie , a bench warmer from a team that had a horrendous OL (Rams), A HC who hasn't proven he can outcaoch the likes of Bellichick and an unproven OC. This is why I find it funny that some finfans think they are already at par with the SB champs. Must be those teal and orange glasses.

I have to give it to Spielman though. That's one hell of a gutsy gamble giving a questionable qb all that $ and a 2nd pick. No wonder why Maddox is complaining about being underpaid. He has feely's contract to throw at Cowher.

You however cannot write Feely off. Who knows, he might be the next Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:
IceStorm said:
Ok, I've read most of this. Everyone has their opinion. Here's mine.

Two years ago everyone hated Fiedler, they all said that since Lucas had a better camp let him start! He didn't start and everyone cried and moaned. Then Fiedler got hurt and people were happy that now their savior was in. Lucas came in and single handedly snatch defeat from the grasp of victory with his awe inspiring 6 turn overs in one game. People wanted Fiedler out, they got it. They got what they wanted, Lucas to start.

Last season people said that Griese should start. He's much better then Fiedler could be. Griese has been to the pro bowl. Let Griese start. There were even web sites for that. Yet again, those fans got what they wanted. Griese got to start. He did an amazing job of defeating a high school football team (see 2003 San Diego Chargers) and praise fell from the heavens. Then alas, lightning struck and our boy wonder was cast upon the rocks. All those calling for Griese to start were shockingly quiet. Fiedler comes back in on a Monday night (I know it was a night game) and brings the Dolphins back to victory.
Maybe its just me, but I see a pattern here with people all wanting anyone but Fiedler. I'm not a major supporter of his. I'll support who ever is playing no matter who it is. But all this kid has done is give his all, lead the team as best he could, and lead them must better then any other QB we've had. He's ugly, probably smells funny, but at least he plays with heart and gives his all. I can't say that about some of our coaching staff. Until someone can PROVE they are better, then Fiedler has my vote. Unlike some, I won't just vote for "anyone but Fiedler". They have to earn it from me.

The moral of the story...be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Well said my learned colleague.

Sherif said:
Well, I’m here to tell you that you should care, because, and this is the scariest part of all – there is no guarantee that Feeley will be better than Fiedler, and if you want to go further, there is nothing in Feeley’s past to indicate that he’ll even be as good as Fiedler has been for the Dolphins.

Call me negative, label me a pessimist, tell me I’m not giving the guy a chance. That’s fine, but give me evidence as to why I should believe otherwise.

This is a sad time to be a fan of this once-proud, now-laughable organization.

GO PHINS!!!

--Jeff

What a huge load of garbage! ....and to think you actually swallowed it up too!!?? :rolleyes:

I quoted the most ridiculous point you tried to drive home about the "scariest part of all" being that AJ is no guarantee. OK, who is a guarantee then?

Do you actually believe that because someone beat a losing team, that makes the win a little less? It doesn't. A win is a win.
The guy was throw into the fire dammit! ...and he performed admirably.

I don't give a crap what scouts say. Where they lack knowledge, they make up stuff...filler garbage (that you swallowed) to fatten the story up and make themselves look good...sorta similar to what the writer of that article did.

A QB with a 4th quarter rating like that tells me that he may be something special. Maybe not guaranteed to be great, but I'll take AJ just being good for now.

I'm still waiting for the new information we didn't know about.

Seriously, what was said in that article that hasn't been said 5000 times here already?? I understand it was written in February. But still, that guy disliked the move from the start. He has never seen Feeley play. He found what he wanted to find. And disregarded (or just plain missed) the "redeeming" points.

But the best part was this hack claiming that Rick's entire research on Feeley consisted of analyzing stats from six games. I mean, is this guy serious?? What a joke!! And this guy writes for someone?? Good lord. I'm almost embarassed that it somehow made its way here.

Muck, sometimes I think we share the same brain. There was nothing new in this article. The guy who wrote it did a roughshod statistical analysis and recap of media writings...which makes him no better than a message board poster. If he had said, I hated the pick immediately, so I decided to do a little research...and watched the game films of every single one of Feeley's starts...THEN I would have paid attention. But no, he proceeded with, he won games against blah blah blah blah blah who had losing records and the one team who had a winning record blah blah blah blah blah his rating blah blah blah blah.

Toss it out Sherif. There's no reason to pay any attention to it until you see Feeley play.

Sherif said:
I guess I still don't know much about Feeley. Where have all the good QB's gone? Was there no way to make a move for Garcia? :shakeno:

Jeff's Dolphin Journal

Be Careful What You Wish For... 02/26/04

Now, I disliked this move from the start – after all, trading a second-round pick for a third-string QB with limited experience sounds absurd. And it’s even more absurd when you consider that Koy Detmer was ahead of Feeley on the Eagles’ depth chart.
Sherif said:
There is question as to who the Eagles would go to if their starter went down. While I'm not necessarily saying that it was the intended move on Reid's part, it makes sense to keep your ace kicker and his preferred holder together, particularly in a playoff race and a very strong defensive team where you tend to get close games. On a longer termed basis, AJ started and when Detmer was able to come back. Detmer was the 2nd stringer to AJ when he came back, that also says something about the guy that one of the best QB coaches (Reid) preferred to use him instead of Detmer.

Yes, Feeley was 4 – 1 as a starter in 2002 when Detmer and starter Donovan McNabb both went down with injuries. And yes, as new Dolphins’ GM Rick Spielman told everyone, Feeley did have a 4th-quarter QB rating of 85 in his starts. +

But if you look a little closer, you’ll see that Feeley’s 4 wins came against teams with losing records in 2002 – the Rams, Seahawks, Redskins and Cowboys. He lost the only game he played against a winning team, the 10 – 6 Giants. So, just how impressive do the 4 – 1 record and the 4th-quarter rating of 85 look now? To me, not very impressive; Feeley played OK against bad teams – gee, that’s great. And, it’s not like he lit it up against those bad teams either; he compiled a completion percentage of under 56, and he threw 6 TDs and 5 INTs – hardly numbers that imply future greatness.

Yes, he played against lesser teams, but he won and kept them in the P/O race...would have been nice if Lucas or Griese could have done the same for us. About his ratings, Reid kept the offense closed up a little, which makes sense with a backup QB and in a playoff race. The Eagles also boasted practically no offense that whole season, had weak to mediocre WRs and because of no passing threat, their running game was only average. The Eagles did not set the world on fire offensively in 2002. BTW, if you saw those games, you would have a little more positive spin on AJ. He received no help from his OL and WRs.
And if you think maybe A.J. improved in 2003, forget it – he didn’t even attempt a pass.

McNabb was healthy...that's not a knock on AJ.

OK, I thought – maybe he showed a lot of potential in college at Oregon. I’ve followed the draft closely for several years now, but I really didn’t recall much about Feeley. I consulted what is to me the Bible of draft publications – Frank Coyle’s Draft Insiders Digest (if you’re into the draft, the yearbook is essential www.draftinsiders.com) I pulled the 2001 Yearbook off my shelf, and quickly found Feeley on page 12. The first thing that caught my eye was where the DID ranked Feeley; he was # 19 in a QB class that has proven to be the worst in recent memory, with only Michael Vick turning out to be worthwhile. Ranked ahead of Feeley were such luminaries as Justin Coleman, Shane Griggs, Rashard Casey, Dolphins’ draft choice Josh Heupel, Josh Booty, David Rivers, and the Dolphins’ own Rosenfels (ranked # 7, incidentally). Honestly, it doesn’t get much worse than that.

He was not the starting QB for his team, he probably did good to get ranked that high, considering there are 119 or so NCAA teams.

I may be violating copyright laws here (sorry, JL!), but here is the first sentence of the DID analysis of Feeley: www.draftinsiders.com

"Talented senior backup completed an injury-filled career that limited his playing time to primarily his junior season." Two things immediately jump off the page in this sentence – “senior backup†and “injury-filled careerâ€Â. Not a good sign – in fact, a terrible sign.

Had one major elbow injury and the backup was J. Harrington. He took over and ran the team well the remainder of that year, and came into the next season as the starter. If I were the Oregon coach, I would have changed QBs at that time either, why fix what isn't broken.

The following quote, though, tells me all I need to know: “Quality sleeper prospect with the arm and intangibles clubs look for in a 3rd-string passer.†Add in the fact that he threw only 13 passes as a senior, and had a major elbow injury, and I just don’t see much to excite me.

What kind of review would you expect to see about a backup QB in college ??

So here is what we know: A.J. Feeley has thrown a grand total of 181 passes since the year 2000, including his senior season at Oregon. He’s done nothing in all that time to distinguish himself in any way, and thus far can be summed up with one word – mediocre. I can’t comment on his upside, because he hasn’t done anything to prove that he even has any upside.

How about keeping his team in the p/o race when pressed into duty and if he truly was the 3rd string QB, that makes it all the more impressive ??

The most important thing I’ve learned in my limited research of Feeley is that he is in no way, shape or form worth trading a second-round pick for, nor is he worth a contract averaging over $ 3.5 million per season. Spielman has talked about how his “extensive statistical analysis†of available QBs put Feeley at the top of his list; this analysis consisted of studying stats from a grand total of six games! How “extensive†could his analysis have been? Is this a joke? I’d say so, and I’ll bet the Eagles are still laughing at this trade. I know the other teams in the AFC East are. This will go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the franchise.

The "extensive" data that RS collected and compared is the cumulation of not just Feeley, but at least 6 other prospective candidates, along with several that were considered in the same position as Feeley in prior years (Hasselbeck, Farve, and Delhomme were mentioned as a few). It was not just data on AJ.

I’ve heard a lot of people say, in reference to Feeley, “I don’t care, at least he’s not Fiedler.†Well, I’m here to tell you that you should care, because, and this is the scariest part of all – there is no guarantee that Feeley will be better than Fiedler, and if you want to go further, there is nothing in Feeley’s past to indicate that he’ll even be as good as Fiedler has been for the Dolphins. Those that know me can tell you that I am no Fiedler fan; in fact, during my weekly tirades while watching the Phins I have often called him the worst starting QB in the NFL. I wanted Jay off the team so bad, I was willing to pull a guy off the street and start him instead of Fiedler. But, now that Spielman has essentially done just that, I can’t stop thinking of that old adage – “Be careful what you wish for – you just might get itâ€Â.

Well, you have a point, but on the other hand, there is no guarantee he WON'T be the next Hasselbeck or Delhomme. The pedulum swings both ways and to assume the negative side is just as wrong as assuming the positive side.

One NFL executive was anonymously quoted as saying “They both got themselves firedâ€Â, referring to Spielman and Dave Wannstedt after the Feeley deal was announced. I couldn’t agree more.

As of February 26, the once-promising offseason I waited for has already been tarnished. I feel that, at this point, any moves the Dolphins make from now till September are essentially meaningless, because the Phins aren’t winning a damn thing with A.J. Feeley behind center. Call me negative, label me a pessimist, tell me I’m not giving the guy a chance. That’s fine, but give me evidence as to why I should believe otherwise.

This is a sad time to be a fan of this once-proud, now-laughable organization.

GO PHINS!!!

--Jeff

Jeff is totally wrong from the standpoint of posting this article on Feb. 26, 2004. Perhaps on Feb 26, 2005 we can make a better assestment of this trade. The whole point here is that I can spin the different articles and data to a positive way just like you can spin them a negative way. If AJ turns out to be the "next" Delhomme or Hasselback will giving up a 2nd rounder have been to much ?? If he turns out to be another JF...we will still be winning 10 games a year....And if the OL and WRs are improved, as it now appears, we could go farther and into the playoffs with AJ winning those 10 games.. Sorry about the way this is posted, kinda new at doing this....

Wow a fan getting another fan's opinion to back up his opinion, guess that proves it?!?!?!? That is stupid, who gives a rats azz what this guys says, who is he? He uses a pub he likes as if it is fact. Yeah right. Feeley may or may not be good, but it has nothing to do wit a fans opinion before he ever plays a down.

Why not just pull fin-atics posts as proof for your opinion, at least we all know who he is and have seen his posts. And we pretty much no Fin-atic isnt stupid. so at least it is viable opinion. Still it is opinion and doesnt prove a dam thing and says nothing that hasnt been debated for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom