“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show

Never been a Eisen fan but he's right:

I don't consider myself a doubter, but I'll feel much better when I see his talents displayed on the field. I was a fan of drafting him, I saw flashes last year that lasted for a quarter or 2, and I recognize he was a rookie coming off a significant injury. AND he looked good in PS. I don't doubt his talent or commitment nor do I doubt he can be the Fins QB for 20 years. Every fan, however, has seen QBs with these attributes turn in to fairly pedestrian QBs.
I just want to see some confirmation of his talents resulting in wins.
NOTE: I hope all my prior posts concerning TT serve as some confirmation I'm not a 'hater.'

I don't consider myself a doubter, but I'll feel much better when I see his talents displayed on the field. I was a fan of drafting him, I saw flashes last year that lasted for a quarter or 2, and I recognize he was a rookie coming off a significant injury. AND he looked good in PS. I don't doubt his talent or commitment nor do I doubt he can be the Fins QB for 20 years. Every fan, however, has seen QBs with these attributes turn in to fairly pedestrian QBs.
NOTE: I hope all my prior posts concerning TT serve as some confirmation I'm not a 'hater.'
All of that goes without saying. Yes Tua has to win for a lot to believe but the Tua doubt got out of hand all offseason. He is the same kid from Alabama just a year and a half from major surgery.

This fan base judged Ryan Tannehill to be a fairly pedestrian QB. I've gotta go with my heart on this one and say that we are some of the worst at recognizing productive talent. Tannehill was productive. He had attributes most QBs in the league don't have, which made him a top ten QB, but we didn't recognize it even with it on the field. Now, we have Tua who has got a lot of positive attributes, as you mentioned, and he demonstrates some qualities we didn't see in Tannehill (ie. an eye for the end zone) but it also comes with a cost that Tua is not going to be as physically strong as Ryan was (ie. The Tannenator).

We've got to build the offense that Tua can command. For years, Ryan Tannehill was hamstrung by coaches and coordinators who seemingly just didn't get it. Last year was another case of a coordinator handing a rookie QB a simplified playbook that NFL defenses are not going to be waylayed by.

Take it for what it's worth, but you don't need a top 5 QB to make it to the Superbowl. You might need a top 5 something, be it defense or offense, but a top 5 position player is not one of them.

Tua is going to get very few clean pockets this year.

if he survivies then great. if he excels then it would be magical

I think a lot of the doubt comes from the year Herbert had, which really isn't a fair comparison. The Chargers had much better talent than the Dolphins on the offensive side of the ball. Then, there was the narrative on Fitzpatrick, a long-time backup etc.

I will admit, I expected Tua to be better than Fitzpatrick fairly quickly. That did not happen. But Fitzpatrick clearly has had his best years later in his career. In retrospect, I probably underestimated Fitzpatrick.

Finally, there was the unknown of the hip injury. How long it would take to fully recover etc. All that taken into account, Tua had some moments last year where he played well. Enough, to say, and maybe expect that those moments would be his starting point for 2021.

I wouldn't doubt that Tua ends up in the conversation with Steve Young as the best lefty to ever play the quarterback position when all is said and done.

at least Eisen has been consistent. what will be Cowturd's take if Tua succeeds?

Tua is going to get very few clean pockets this year.

if he survivies then great. if he excels then it would be magical

He's also going to have such speed at all the receiving positions that if no one is getting open then it will be on the coaches. If, on the other hand, if guys are open but the ball isn't coming out of there fast enough, then it will be on Tua. You can't put that kind of speed on the field and not scheme ways for it to get open. This offense is designed for quick execution and taking advantage of mismatches.

Rich Eisen is one of the few NFL commentators I can listen. I haven't found any that I agree with 100% of the time. But he does have some semblance of common sense and less hype than most.

As far as a genuine commentator, I prefer Ernie Johnson from NBA on TNT.

Rich likes to stir the pot from time to time, but he's no Stephen A.

I do think that there are some attributes that we've seen that aren't commonly seen in "pedestrian" QBs. The accuracy is scary good at times, the footwork is pretty impressive, and maneuvering in the pocket hes better than most. The difference for me from someone like Tannehill is with him you knew after the first year that he had to make significant changes in his playing style in order to be elite at his position. With Tua you've already seen glimpses of the complete package. The tools are all there and its just a matter of him putting them all together on a consistent basis.

Back
Top Bottom