“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show

He's also going to have such speed at all the receiving positions that if no one is getting open then it will be on the coaches. If, on the other hand, if guys are open but the ball isn't coming out of there fast enough, then it will be on Tua. You can't put that kind of speed on the field and not scheme ways for it to get open. This offense is designed for quick execution and taking advantage of mismatches.
If there's no pocket, all that is moot.

I totally agree with Eisen and if they decide to trade for another QB and Tua goes to another team, he will be their Drew Brees and the Dolphins will end up with a Philip Rivers or someone worse.
To me the absolute worst thing the Dolphins could do is to think they can bring in a QB who would be an upgrade over Tua. Because I think they would regret that decision once Tua goes to his new team and leads them to the SB. Just as I am sure the Chargers regretted letting Brees go and going with Rivers as their QB, even if the Chargers organization will never admit they messed up by keeping Rivers and letting Brees go.

Being a RT fan and avid supporter while he was here, I agree most of what you said but feel one element was omitted about his strengths:

RT was too disciplined for his own good. He followed the expectations of the coaches to a fault.

In reality, RT was a great QB once plays broke down and he had to scramble. On the run, RT was a real weapon that most defenses couldn't contain. The problem was the play has to completely collapse before that part of him took over. He was very accurate outside the pocket and if a play broke down, he found WRs and threw some impressive long darts. He has a very strong arm and he's accurate on the move.

This is why he earned the "robot" descriptions from time to time about his pocket play. It wasn't his nature to be in the pocket. He excelled in chaos. But we simply didn't give him enough opportunities with "designed" chaos. He was constantly pressed into traditional play calling. Forcing him to rely on one of his weakest traits; pocket presence.

But roll him out with a streaking WR and magic happened.

He was a Shanahan-style QB forced into a pocket passing offense with bodies falling all around him. He wasn't Dan Marino.

Play action and mobility are his strengths. It shows with Tennessee.

That said, RT is not the QB to elevate your team. He is not elite. But he also wasn't positioned to succeed either.
Pretty much spot on…he has some elite traits, but overall a tier below. I still say we’d wreck ass had we kept him, but that ship sailed and Miami looks like morons for that trade. And before a bunch jump in with “it’s all Henry,” go look at Henry’s career pre-Tannehill (who has better stats than Mahomes since earning the starting job) and have that argument with yourself. The Titans prioritized signing them both in the same off-season.

Tua has elite traits too, IMO, and they’re not the same ones…they’re more important (pocket presence, processing speed, release, touch, accuracy). This kid should surpass Tannehill next year at the latest. He learns MUCH faster.

I listened to *most of this but here is the thing...
Nobody but the top tier management in the Dolphins org REALLY know how much effort and interest was put into Watson. I know...its been reported since the Watson fiasco news broke that Miami was interested but who really knows if that was 90% team Watson or 100% team Houston trying to stir the pot? The answer is very few really know how much Miami really inquired about Deshawn.
I do know 1 thing...that last push about a week ago was clearly all fake news pushed out by somebody who wanted to make a last ditched effort to rock the boat. Im not convinced that Miami EVER was going hard for Watson at any price.

Nobody but the top tier management in the Dolphins org REALLY know how much effort and interest was put into Watson. I know...its been reported since the Watson fiasco news broke that Miami was interested but who really knows if that was 90% team Watson or 100% team Houston trying to stir the pot? The answer is very few really know how much Miami really inquired about Deshawn.
I do know 1 thing...that last push about a week ago was clearly all fake news pushed out by somebody who wanted to make a last ditched effort to rock the boat. Im not convinced that Miami EVER was going hard for Watson at any price.
I believe they were before all the allegations came out and piled up.

I think a lot of the doubt comes from the year Herbert had, which really isn't a fair comparison. The Chargers had much better talent than the Dolphins on the offensive side of the ball. Then, there was the narrative on Fitzpatrick, a long-time backup etc.

I will admit, I expected Tua to be better than Fitzpatrick fairly quickly. That did not happen. But Fitzpatrick clearly has had his best years later in his career. In retrospect, I probably underestimated Fitzpatrick.

Finally, there was the unknown of the hip injury. How long it would take to fully recover etc. All that taken into account, Tua had some moments last year where he played well. Enough, to say, and maybe expect that those moments would be his starting point for 2021.

I wouldn't doubt that Tua ends up in the conversation with Steve Young as the best lefty to ever play the quarterback position when all is said and done.
The 2020 offense was build around Fitzpatrick and not Tua. Gailey only took the job as the OC because he thought Fitzpatrick would be the Dolphins QB the entire season. Gailey was not effective in developing young QB’s during his coaching career and always preferred to have a veteran QB as his starting QB.

Tua was coming off major hip surgery and most posters on here at this time last year figured Tua would probably not play at all during the season while he continued to recover from the surgery. Normally it takes the average individual 18-24 months to fully recover from the type of injury Tua suffered and they certainly aren’t trying to play in a violent game less than a year after major hip surgery.

I believe they were before all the allegations came out and piled up.
Either way there is still 0 proof that Miami was seriously considering Watson...
I tend to think they never lost faith in Tua...Drafted him high and the team is his to QB

The only individuals who ever stated there was interest in the Dolphins trading for Watson were individuals in the media. No one in the Dolphins organization ever stated they were interested in trading for Watson and the only thing Flores has said about the QB position since the end of last season was that Tua would be the starting QB this coming season.

Since Flores became the teams HC, there have not been leaks coming from inside the organization. So all the speculation regarding the Dolphins trading for Watson was nothing but made up stories by individuals in the media who don’t have a clue what’s actually happening inside the Dolphins organization.

Pretty much spot on…he has some elite traits, but overall a tier below. I still say we’d wreck *** had we kept him, but that ship sailed and Miami looks like morons for that trade. And before a bunch jump in with “it’s all Henry,” go look at Henry’s career pre-Tannehill (who has better stats than Mahomes since earning the starting job) and have that argument with yourself. The Titans prioritized signing them both in the same off-season.

Tua has elite traits too, IMO, and they’re not the same ones…they’re more important (pocket presence, processing speed, release, touch, accuracy). This kid should surpass Tannehill next year at the latest. He learns MUCH faster.
Tua also has an organization built around him to enable his success.

We have drafted players for Tua, built an offense around him and given him coaching support tailored to his game.

I don't think Tua is athletically elite. But he reminds me of a Steve Young type that wins with his mind and works within his skillsets.

Having Tua as your QB goes inline with the Saban/Belichick/Flores coaching style that no player is greater than the team. And the team wins as a product of the design. Most importantly, the entire team functions as a product of the Head Coach.

Hurts/Tua/Jones are all similar in this regard. They are system QBs. Just like Young and Montana.

Marino was a system. Montana was a product of the system.

Tua/Hurts/Jones will be products of their systems.

I absolutely agree with everything he said....but something very important was left out. This is amplified by the fact that when this thing not mentioned, was not an issue in the AZ game. Injuries killed this offense, starting with the AZ game where Williams got hurt. Tua was throwing to below average 3rd and 4th string receivers and practice squad players. There was a different running back almost every week. How can you not see that?

I absolutely agree with everything he said....but something very important was left out. This is amplified by the fact that when this thing not mentioned, was not an issue in the AZ game. Injuries killed this offense, starting with the AZ game where Williams got hurt. Tua was throwing to below average 3rd and 4th string receivers and practice squad players. There was a different running back almost every week. How can you not see that?
I 100% agree with this also...players on the field matter

This fan base judged Ryan Tannehill to be a fairly pedestrian QB. I've gotta go with my heart on this one and say that we are some of the worst at recognizing productive talent. Tannehill was productive. He had attributes most QBs in the league don't have, which made him a top ten QB, but we didn't recognize it even with it on the field. Now, we have Tua who has got a lot of positive attributes, as you mentioned, and he demonstrates some qualities we didn't see in Tannehill (ie. an eye for the end zone) but it also comes with a cost that Tua is not going to be as physically strong as Ryan was (ie. The Tannenator).

We've got to build the offense that Tua can command. For years, Ryan Tannehill was hamstrung by coaches and coordinators who seemingly just didn't get it. Last year was another case of a coordinator handing a rookie QB a simplified playbook that NFL defenses are not going to be waylayed by.

Take it for what it's worth, but you don't need a top 5 QB to make it to the Superbowl. You might need a top 5 something, be it defense or offense, but a top 5 position player is not one of them.
I agree w a lot of this except the “hamstrung” part. Chan Galiey ran the most productive offense in terms of sustained drives (TOP), 3rd and 4th down conversions and PPG we’ve had in 20 seasons (when ironically he was the OC). He managed a rookie QB who had crap protection on a mess of an o-line, depleted WRs and RBs purchased from the dollar store to a 6-3 record. He was the best thing for the rookie who also had no real training camp - kept him safe and had him play mistake free ball. Didn’t play a brand of offense that we weren’t suited for - like throwing it 45 times a game. I expect Tua to take a jump this year as he’s a full year in now and should have command of the offense.

Back
Top Bottom