“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show

There is a reason Chan is gone - like see yah forever
We don’t know that. He may have retired on his own or it was mutual. Fact remains, and while we can have our own opinions - we cannot have our own facts. It’s a fact that the offense was better in every category (and in some cases by far) than it had been in any year since 2000 - when Chan was the OC.

My opinion on this is simple. A veteran OC that’s seen it all, had a good D and ST to work with, called a safe offense - which is all he could do w the QBs he had, WR injuries and underwhelming RBs - not to mention bad / inexperienced o-line. Many OCs would have tried to force a different style (Gase) and we would not have won anywhere near 10 games. More like 4 or 5.

I doubt Tua because he has not played enough games and games he played last yr was up and down..plus you got to look at other good qb in NFL and compare Tua to them and used them as measuring stick. How good Tua going be I don't know..time will tell..

Ryan Fitzpatrick..

it was all him..that’s why Gailey was brought in and it worked well until the team started messing with it.
Actually the offense played very well with Tua at QB until they started having injuries on the OL and at the WR position. The fact Tua played so well in the offense designed for Fitzpatrick prior to those injuries seemed to be completely overlooked by the anti-Tua crowd.

Last edited:
Tua is going to get very few clean pockets this year.

if he survivies then great. if he excels then it would be magical
I think this O-line has a good chance of growing together, and being OK...Solid...Good...or maybe (BIG maybe) great eventually.

Not to say you're wrong that Tua is going to have to ride a very inconsistent O-line at least early on this year, but I think as the line gets used to each other, they should show improvement as the year goes along...How much improvement?

Don't know, but should be fun to see.

Tannehill was not a top 10 QB while with the Dolphins. That could have been because of coaching or just the overall talent around him on offense. Yet it doesn’t change the fact he was never nearly as productive in Miami as he has been with the Titans. When he finally left the Dolphins it was the best thing for him and the Dolphins. He got a chance to go to a team with better coaching and an offense with a solid OL, the best RB in the league and good receivers at WR and TE. Once he had the talent around him he was able to show he is a quality NFL QB.

The Dolphins decided when Flores came in to go into a complete rebuild with younger players and bringing in a young QB who they could build around for the future was the best thing for the Dolphin organization.

The major issue I have with the the fan base is at least Tannehill was given time in Miami before many posters were ready to move on from him. He was constantly allowed to have the excuse that the coaching was bad, the OL was terrible, the WR’s were below average and they weren’t able to run the ball.

Tua on the other hand came in as a rookie coming off major surgery. The OL was below average, there was basically little running room for the RB’s in most of the games he was the QB and over the last month of the season he was playing with WR’s who were at the bottom off the depth chart or on the practice squad when the season began.

Tannehill was in Miami for 7 years and received the benefit of the doubt for most of those years from the vast majority of the fans who tended to blame the coaches and the players around Tannehill more than they blamed him. Yet Tua seems to get a lot of the blame for the offense last year and he only played in nine games with players who weren’t as talented as many of the teams Tannehill played with in Miami.

While I totally support Tua and believe he will be an excellent NFL QB. I will have no problem calling for the Dolphins to draft a new QB in 2023 if Tua hasn’t developed into a solid QB by the time he has played 3 years in the league. It is totally absurd that some people want to give up on him after only 9 games. Especially when some of those people were fine with giving Tannehill 7 years in Miami to prove he was a good QB in the NFL. Yet he had to go to Tennessee to finally prove it.
I'll start with my conclusion. My conclusion is that Tua is being given the same problems Tannehill was saddled with. We've done all this before. Rookie QB is given the reins. He has a simplified playbook to work with. He has one of the worst offensive lines to work behind. In the case of Ryan Tannehill, they would not let him leave the damn pocket (that was Joe Philbin) and insisted that he be a pocket passer. Tannehill routinely led the league in sacks while frequently floating between 8th and 12th in passing yards. If he could have vacated the pocket and rolled out more, he probably finds the end zone more, but that wasn't all that was wrong.

The reason Tannehill gets the benefit of the doubt is because he is clearly smart, clearly talented, and has one of the better arms in the league. He took the receivers Philbin gave him (Hartline and Bess) and he made those guys competent. Brian Hartline had a 1,000 yard receiving season. Some people actually thought Bess could be something (I don't know what that was, though). Neither had any sort of career after leaving. Same thing with Mike Wallace who couldn't catch a deep pass to save a life unless it was on a broken play--he gave that turd his only other 10 TD season.

What we see with the Titans is a much better application of his abilities. They don't ask him to carry the offense. He doesn't need to pass for over 4,000 yards. They have a competent line. They have a successful running game like when we had Ajayi. I suspect that if they keep to that formula, Ryan Tannehill will put together a season that will turn some heads. He's not a superstar QB, IMO, but then when I look back at him I don't see anything that would limit him except maybe what's between the ears.

Tua should have that killer instinct that seemed absent from Ryan Tannehill's game. Only this season will show whether Tua has all the makeup to take advantage of that.

We don’t know that. He may have retired on his own or it was mutual. Fact remains, and while we can have our own opinions - we cannot have our own facts. It’s a fact that the offense was better in every category (and in some cases by far) than it had been in any year since 2000 - when Chan was the OC.

My opinion on this is simple. A veteran OC that’s seen it all, had a good D and ST to work with, called a safe offense - which is all he could do w the QBs he had, WR injuries and underwhelming RBs - not to mention bad / inexperienced o-line. Many OCs would have tried to force a different style (Gase) and we would not have won anywhere near 10 games. More like 4 or

My opinion on this is simple. A veteran OC that’s seen it all, had a good D and ST to work with, called a safe offense - which is all he could do w the QBs he had, WR injuries and underwhelming RBs - not to mention bad / inexperienced o-line. Many OCs would have tried to force a different style (Gase) and we would not have won anywhere near 10 games. More like 4 or 5.

He is on RECORD stating his disdain of what Flo did to him during the season -

If he was on board with Tua then he would be on board now and still be here

I doubt Tua because he has not played enough games and games he played last yr was up and down..plus you got to look at other good qb in NFL and compare Tua to them and used them as measuring stick. How good Tua going be I don't know..time will tell..
Sorry you can't see his elite skills....yet.

Being a RT fan and avid supporter while he was here, I agree most of what you said but feel one element was omitted about his strengths:

RT was too disciplined for his own good. He followed the expectations of the coaches to a fault.

In reality, RT was a great QB once plays broke down and he had to scramble. On the run, RT was a real weapon that most defenses couldn't contain. The problem was the play has to completely collapse before that part of him took over. He was very accurate outside the pocket and if a play broke down, he found WRs and threw some impressive long darts. He has a very strong arm and he's accurate on the move.

This is why he earned the "robot" descriptions from time to time about his pocket play. It wasn't his nature to be in the pocket. He excelled in chaos. But we simply didn't give him enough opportunities with "designed" chaos. He was constantly pressed into traditional play calling. Forcing him to rely on one of his weakest traits; pocket presence.

But roll him out with a streaking WR and magic happened.

He was a Shanahan-style QB forced into a pocket passing offense with bodies falling all around him. He wasn't Dan Marino.

Play action and mobility are his strengths. It shows with Tennessee.

That said, RT is not the QB to elevate your team. He is not elite. But he also wasn't positioned to succeed either.

When Wildeyes was hired, he was my 3rd choice.

Interestingly, Mike S was my 1st choice. He IMO would have done good things w/ RT17 & Ajayi.

p.s. Todd Bowles was my 2nd choice at the time FWIW

Tannehill was not a top 10 QB while with the Dolphins. That could have been because of coaching or just the overall talent around him on offense. Yet it doesn’t change the fact he was never nearly as productive in Miami as he has been with the Titans. When he finally left the Dolphins it was the best thing for him and the Dolphins. He got a chance to go to a team with better coaching and an offense with a solid OL, the best RB in the league and good receivers at WR and TE. Once he had the talent around him he was able to show he is a quality NFL QB.

The Dolphins decided when Flores came in to go into a complete rebuild with younger players and bringing in a young QB who they could build around for the future was the best thing for the Dolphin organization.

The major issue I have with the the fan base is at least Tannehill was given time in Miami before many posters were ready to move on from him. He was constantly allowed to have the excuse that the coaching was bad, the OL was terrible, the WR’s were below average and they weren’t able to run the ball.

Tua on the other hand came in as a rookie coming off major surgery. The OL was below average, there was basically little running room for the RB’s in most of the games he was the QB and over the last month of the season he was playing with WR’s who were at the bottom off the depth chart or on the practice squad when the season began.

Tannehill was in Miami for 7 years and received the benefit of the doubt for most of those years from the vast majority of the fans who tended to blame the coaches and the players around Tannehill more than they blamed him. Yet Tua seems to get a lot of the blame for the offense last year and he only played in nine games with players who weren’t as talented as many of the teams Tannehill played with in Miami.

While I totally support Tua and believe he will be an excellent NFL QB. I will have no problem calling for the Dolphins to draft a new QB in 2023 if Tua hasn’t developed into a solid QB by the time he has played 3 years in the league. It is totally absurd that some people want to give up on him after only 9 games. Especially when some of those people were fine with giving Tannehill 7 years in Miami to prove he was a good QB in the NFL. Yet he had to go to Tennessee to finally prove it.

It was the coaching.... definitely the coaching /s?

Actually the offense played very well with Tua at QB until they stated having injuries on the OL and at the WR position. The fact Tua played so well in the offense designed for Fitzpatrick prior to those injuries seemed to be completely overlooked by the anti-Tua crowd.

Agree. On a tangent, It was M Irvin (after the Raiders game) who quipped Tua's floor is Fitz's ceiling.

IMO anybody that can't see that Tua has elite accuracy and an elite release is a poor evaluator. Playing QB is primarily about getting the ball out quickly and accurately to the right guy. Tua can clearly get the ball out quickly and accurately. Unless somebody doubts he can learn to make the reads at a very level there is no reason to doubt him. (And BTW Tua's reads are actually already pretty good for a rookie before you even consider the lack of a preseason and practice while he was rehabbing).

And if that same person was also unable to see that Tannehill had the skills to be a top 10 QB then they are a really poor evaluator.

Back
Top Bottom