“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show

Fins on 3rd were at 38.6% on 78 attempts, which was good for 27th in the league... They were extremely good(2nd) on 4th down with a 80% convertion rate on 8 attempts. Now Fins have never been all that great in the last 20 years at converting 3rd downs, although they finished 2nd in that cat in 2009, my point isnt that Gailey didnt do what only 3 Fins teams could do in the last 20 years. My point is it doesnt mean he was any good at it.
My bar has clearly been lowered over the last 20. I do recall we were better than that until the last quarter of the season when the numbers came down. Still - the whole season counts. It was a lot better than Gase and his 1-10 on 3rd down games. :)

One season an anomaly? What about the 19 seasons prior. And Gailey’s offenses have always done well - look it up and come back if you see differently. As an OC he always had high ranking offenses. As a HC not so much.

Using the logic of the anomaly, we should have kept Cam Cameron since 1-15 could have just as easily been 15-1 I guess if Ronnie Brown and Trent Green didn’t get hurt.

Seriously, to have the kind of offensive output we had - w a rookie w no camp, a lousy veteran QB, a rookie o-line, depleted WRs and RBs that wouldn’t have started on any other team was all about coaching - minimizing weaknesses (and there were many) and exploiting what we could. We were a patient offense that produced long drives like we hadn’t been able to do in 20 years. That’s the experience of a guy calling the plays who gets it. What do you think would have happened if a Gase or some other “young guru” called the plays? I doubt very much they would have adapted to our realities and instead, tried forcing things to the tune of more turnovers and losses (opinion).
I don't think you are very familiar with Gailey's history. In 15 years as an offensive coordinator or head coach he had only four seasons where his offense was top ten in scoring with none of them being higher than seventh, and only four seasons where his offenses were top ten in yardage. Those four seasons they rated sixth twice, eighth once and tenth once. Ten of his fifteen seasons seasons his offenses rated in the bottom half of the league or much worse in yardage. He fared better in points scored however, where he had six seasons where he was in the bottom half of the league or worse. These are hardly the results of some offensive guru.

I saw a graphic on the NFL Network saying Tua was the #2 fantasy QB to SIT this weekend. God, I hope he lights those scumbags up Sunday.

"I have gone some way towards establishing the link between an accurate quarterback and an efficient supporting cast. With this in mind, we should have high hopes for Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua TagovailoaP in 2021. He posted a 7.9 Accuracy Rating a year ago, the same as Aaron RodgersP and Teddy BridgewaterP. He also delivered a Catchable Pass Rate of 80.3-percent in 2020. Only Rodgers and Drew BreesP were better. Yet he managed a dismal 13.8 (No. 28) Fantasy Points per Game. Can we attach some blame to the players around him? With a -7.17 (No. 26) Supporting Cast Efficiency rating, you bet we can."

Tua throw dink and dunk passes. If you look further he had a 40 percent completion rate for passes over 10 yards. I have not looked at this Stat for Rodgers, dont think there is a need to. Don't cherry pick.

Love Rich Eisen, every year he thinks Michigan is going to beat Ohio State. 11 straight years.
And his bud Desdumb Howard.

I don't think you are very familiar with Gailey's history. In 15 years as an offensive coordinator or head coach he had only four seasons where his offense was top ten in scoring with none of them being higher than seventh, and only four seasons where his offenses were top ten in yardage. Those four seasons they rated sixth twice, eighth once and tenth once. Ten of his fifteen seasons seasons his offenses rated in the bottom half of the league or much worse in yardage. He fared better in points scored however, where he had six seasons where he was in the bottom half of the league or worse. These are hardly the results of some offensive guru.
Didn’t say guru, just experienced and thought he called a smart game last year. We ran a very patient offense and he managed Tua nicely to a 6-3 record while keeping him safe / not putting him in harms way unnecessarily. Gailey understood that we had a bad o-line, depleted WRs, RBs who were painfully mediocre etc - but a D and ST that would keep us in games as long as we didn’t try to force things on offense. That approach helped us get to 10-6 as much as anything else. That was experience there. I know as a HC he wasn’t great but as an OC those numbers cited above were pretty good w I believe his one season in KC being the worst.

Anyhow, we were better on O last year than we had been in 20 years. That part is a fact. We can try to dissect the reasons why but it’s not so simple. What stood out to me as impressive were TOP in our favor for the first time in a very, very long time, ability to convert on 3rd and 4th down at a higher rate than we’d seen in past years under Gase and Philbin and the PPG - which, yes, were helped by all of those takeaways. Equally important is that he didn’t call reckless games where we gave the +/- back to the other teams. I thought he did a fine job - especially w what he had to work with - I don’t know if it was possible to do better w what we had on the field by seasons end.

Finally, I didn’t care that they separated from him. I just think he was the right guy for that moment / situation last year and it was a fun season to watch for the first time since 2016 for me.

lots of words and energy used to speculate. probably more than i can remember on any player the dolphins ever had. one side will be "proven" right some time this winter.

i think it's almost unarguable that he deserves another shot this year for all the reasons we know. but it's also fair to speculate that if he cannot do his part to put points on the board, that it would be in the dolphins best interest to try to upgrade.

it's really to me about points. i don't care how it looks or how it's done really. if it's 15 play dink and dunks or all runs or 1 play long bombs - it doesn't matter. miami needs to creep to the top 10 in points scored. then we can all talk about the team as a real threat in the afc. defense is fine and good enough to make enough stops to win any game if the offense is a top 10 scoring offense.

Never been a Eisen fan but he's right:

Did he struggled? Look at Burrows numbers and Tua's numbers, they are the same. Yes, the guy from SD did great, but that does not mean Tua struggled, he had a good rookie season

Back
Top Bottom